Sig Sauer.

But I really love the Ruger Target 9mm.

At first I wasn't sure about the takedown system but
now I like it and am comfortable with it. In fact, I
think it's less hassle than the traditional 1911 design
with the bushing.

I'm sure I'm wrong and Colt owners or owners of other
1911s can give me dozens and dozens of reason why
I shouldn't love the Target 9mm. But I don't care.

It's slick, the trigger is most pleasing and it
seems just right to me out of the box. I wonder if
I'd like the Koenig even better. Probably never
try to find out.

And I shoot the Target better than all the other 1911s.

Full disclosure, I'm am at heart a double action revolver guy
so maybe I just don't have the experience to love the other
1911s although I've shot the Colt in particular off and on for
decades.

Last edited by UncleEd; 08-30-2019 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-31-2019, 06:35 PM

What is not to like. A 1911 all steel 9mm is a soft shooting pistol.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:16 AM

I have a backyard range and have shot a lot of pistols here of mine and friends. Everyone agrees that the Target in 9mm is one of the nicest and softest shooting 1911s or any pistol they have shot,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2020, 12:28 PM

Just about to get mine off layaway. Am so looking forward to shooting it. I got it so I could shoot it in IDPA. I am hoping it will be a good competitor. I expect it to be.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:18 PM

"I'm sure I'm wrong and Colt owners or owners of other
1911s can give me dozens and dozens of reason why
I shouldn't love the Target 9mm. But I don't care."

And there is no reason to care about the naysayers. You could stay busy for a little while counting the number of 1911 manufacturers. Many are good guns. The Ruger is one of them. Enjoy it.
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:39 AM

What year........................

................did Ruger switch from the conventional barrel/bushing system to the bull barrel, full length guide rod, bushing-less system?
Old 05-28-2020, 12:48 PM

Bull barrel is only on the Target model 9mm I believe.

1911's: Sig Ultra Compact 9mm, Sig Texas Silver 45, Sig Texas Gold 45, Ruger Stainless 45, Ruger Night Watchman CMD 45, Ruger Lightweight CMD 9mm, Custom Springfield 1911 A1 45, Springfield EMP 4 9mm, Kimber Master Carry Pro 9mm
Old 05-28-2020, 01:00 PM

In 5 inch land I think Ruger introduced it in the 10mm. I have one I bought in 2016. Below compared to a 45 from about 2012.

It did surprise me when they used it in the 9mm Target. I think they still use the traditional bushing/plug in many other pistols. I was looking at the very pricey Koenig 9mm target on the Ruger website and it appears to use a barrel with bushing and a 1 piece traditional FLGR.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota1911 View Post
It did surprise me when they used it in the 9mm Target. I think they still use the traditional bushing/plug in many other pistols. I was looking at the very pricey Koenig 9mm target on the Ruger website and it appears to use a barrel with bushing and a 1 piece traditional FLGR.
I have a 2020 9mm LW Commander and it has the traditional setup.

1911's: Sig Ultra Compact 9mm, Sig Texas Silver 45, Sig Texas Gold 45, Ruger Stainless 45, Ruger Night Watchman CMD 45, Ruger Lightweight CMD 9mm, Custom Springfield 1911 A1 45, Springfield EMP 4 9mm, Kimber Master Carry Pro 9mm
Old 05-28-2020, 02:55 PM

I have three Ruger CMDs in 45ACP and they all have the traditional guide rod and plug. On top a CMD from 2013. Then a CMD-NW from 2014. And on the bottom a CMD-LW from 2015.

I have looked at the 9mm CMD and it looked nice. In fact the one I was looking at in the LGS looked nicer than the picts in the gun mags and the Ruger website. It will probably be in my future.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:58 AM

Just bought a 9mm Target model. Haven't been to the range yet. If I like it as much as my 45 standard model, I'll be tickled. (I may like the different takedown system, once I've done it a few times !!
Old 06-01-2020, 02:44 PM

I don't quite understand why the target models don't come with a fiber-optic front sight. Just wondering I guess.

Old 06-01-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old woody View Post
(I may like the different takedown system, once I've done it a few times !!
I have a Springfield EMP 4 that takes down the same way. I have gotten used to it, but I don't have to like it, LOL.

Old 06-01-2020, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFLMike View Post
I don't quite understand why the target models don't come with a fiber-optic front sight. Just wondering I guess.
My experience it compromises the accuracy one can get out of the pistol. Precision is lost in the definition of the front sight. Otherwise lots of bullseye iron sight guns would have them. Different strokes for different folks.
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnumite View Post
My experience it compromises the accuracy one can get out of the pistol. Precision is lost in the definition of the front sight. Otherwise lots of bullseye iron sight guns would have them. Different strokes for different folks.
I guess that's right. Several of the other makers have fiber fronts on their target/competition models. I personally really like fiber optic fronts, but then I don't shoot competition either. I have the TruGlo TFX night sights on my Ruger standard full size and really like them. My Springer EMP 4 has fiber front as well as my two Colt Competitions.

Old 06-02-2020, 06:24 AM

Brass, gold and FO front sights are very fast in speed shooting close and even intermediate range targets. After a steel match one time I shot an 85 yard steel 18'x24" target with a 9mm CZ pistol (75 IIRC) a fellow shooter owned. The pistol was equipped with rather fine front and rear FO sights. A full 14 round mag yielded 13 hits in less than 10 seconds. Nice pistol.
The size of the FO dots was a huge help on that pistol. I used the dots for quick alignment and used the black steel of the sights for final precision. The dots were about half size or less than the typical FO sights I had experience with previous to using that pistol. Those sights I would say were superior dual purpose sights.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnumite View Post
The pistol was equipped with rather fine front and rear FO sights. A full 14 round mag yielded 13 hits in less than 10 seconds. Nice pistol.
The size of the FO dots was a huge help on that pistol. I used the dots for quick alignment and used the black steel of the sights for final precision. The dots were about half size or less than the typical FO sights I had experience with previous to using that pistol. Those sights I would say were superior dual purpose sights.
I can see that it would be a real advantage in competition. I just shoot 22 rifle competition and have fun with pistols.

Old 06-02-2020, 07:16 PM

Now that you called my attention to it, my Springer EMP4's front f/o is close to half the size of the f/o on the two Colt Competitions. It and all of my Ruger 1911's shoot at least as good or maybe better than the Colts also.