Burglar shot near my house - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-16-2019, 03:05 PM

Burglar shot near my house

On Lakeshore Drive, San Carlos, CA 92119 (suburb of San Diego) there's a house my wife & I stroll past every evening on our after-dinner walk.

Last night a burglar broke in and was confronted by the homeowner, a man that owns a large, local tire & auto repair shop.

A fight ensued where the perp stabbed the man in the chest several times.

The Man's adult son (20) emerged from his room and shot the intruder, who then fled out the back door.

He was found dead, floating in the pool. The homeowner is in the hospital, condition is stable.

I can't post a link but it's easily found under "san carlos shooting" If anyone here wants to post it, please do Note that this house is in a nice, rather expensive area close to the lake. It's not 'The 'Hood by any stretch.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:19 PM

Doesn’t Cali have duty to retreat before using deadly force?
I sure hope they don’t turn it around in the homeowner and wind up charging him.
Glad he’s alive and his son was there to do the right thing.
COTEP#782
Old 07-16-2019, 03:25 PM

Hope the homeowner pulls through, glad the son was there to eliminate the threat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2019, 03:38 PM

No, California is a Castle Doctrine state.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Even if there is a duty to retreat, if the guy is in the process of stabbing a family member when you shoot him, I suspect you are not going to get dinged for not retreating.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:50 PM

Plus California has Cal Crim 505 and 506. A type of official of Jury Instruction / Guide, allowing people to stand their ground and defend their lives, outside of the home.

CA is not nearly as restrictive as many guys here think. I've seen posts that ask if guns are even legal in CA at all.

There seems to be a perception that everyone here is a gay, unarmed, Democrat Antfa member.

But in reality, CA has the second largest amount of guns of any state in the US.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:52 PM

There's no Duty To Retreat here. Not outside or in your home. Maybe in your state, but not in CA.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:55 PM

It will only get worse for that and any other "sanctuary state". Fail.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because no one makes one in .46cal.--Me
The 9mm is a SD cartridge fit only for women and Europeans--Me
Old 07-16-2019, 07:20 PM

Kevin Rohrer ------ California doesn't even make the list of the 15 highest crime rate states.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:38 PM

wish they would always publish the caliber and ammo used when bad guys are shot....dead or surviving. Better data than B gel.

Last edited by STORM2; 07-16-2019 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
Kevin Rohrer ------ California doesn't even make the list of the 15 highest crime rate states.
Magazineman -
Those statistics are somewhat complicated. If you notice, a lot of the states that show up higher on the list are states with relatively small populations. In a state like West Virginia (1.8 million population), one crime makes a much larger impact on the per capita rating than in California (39 million population). It would be cumbersome, but probably more accurate to rank counties. I'm sure California has some areas that are like Mayberry, RFD. But if you are in Los Angeles County, or Oakland, the crime rate is much higher.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:51 PM

STORM2 ---- Yes, that would be nice for us Gun Guys, but make/model/caliber is not very relevant to the story.

"Breaking news: Man stabbed downtown. Knife was a Buck 110 folder, Lockback. With rosewood handle slabs & brass bolsters." I just don't see this happening.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:11 PM

Plaidad. ------ Crime rate per capita is a level playing field.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:53 PM

A current LEO trial in Dallas caused me to think about the question. Two rounds center mass, close range and the bad guy lived. In this case the gel test would be non applicable...I guess?
Old 07-16-2019, 09:08 PM

Critters & people are complex. Lotsa critical parts & plenty of non-vitals too. So it just depends on what inside bits you happen to hit.

Center-of-mass handgun bullet strikes increase the odds of hitting something that matters right away, as opposed to leg hits, but it's no Death Ray.

Unless those two COM hits are with a centerfire rifle or a shotgun, I'll assume that 2 are not enough.

Not sure how many rounds hit the intruder in this story. The vic was Preston, of Preston Tire. I hope he comes out okay.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:50 PM

With two LEO trials in the DAL news, one with a survivor and one dead, it seems to be exactly as Magazineman said. Luck of the pinball buffers and bumpers inside the body. So with these real life results at close range, ammo selection as many of us have thought all along is just pot luck. If it shoots good, it probably won’t matter inside the 5 yard line whether it’s 165, 185 or left over Black Talon 230s. Most of us hope for favorable outcomes for the LEOs.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
It's all in the reporting, and has nothing to do with the subject.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because no one makes one in .46cal.--Me
The 9mm is a SD cartridge fit only for women and Europeans--Me

Last edited by Kevin Rohrer; 07-17-2019 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:48 AM

Kevin Rohrer ----- You posted: "it will only get worse for that and any other sanctuary states---Fail"

The perp was a 38 year old White Man. ---- CBS 8 News, update 7/16

So the "fail" was your assumption. This stabbing had zero to do with sanctuary anything.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:23 AM

I live in Orange County, just north of you magazineman. I concur with your posts about California, we aren't a free state but we aren't commiefornia either. As a retired LEO, I carry because of all the raccoons and coyotes on the loose do to the 405 freeway construction. We have lost 4 small dogs and a cat in our neighborhood do to these animals. Doesn't matter what neighborhood or the predator, just be vigilant.

Last edited by gumbee; 07-17-2019 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Plaidad. ------ Crime rate per capita is a level playing field.
I suppose I must misunderstand the meaning of per capita. I was taught that it was the number of occurrences divided by the population. So, in my example, 18,000 crimes in West Virginia would be 18,000 / 1.8 million = .01 per capita. 18,000 crimes in California would be 18,000 / 39 million = .00046 per capita.

If this is incorrect, I would be glad to find out the correct way.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:31 AM

Plaidad ------------- Yes, it's the amount of crime per person.

That's how the playing field is leveled. Because otherwise CA would have the most of nearly everything, good or bad, because we have the most people.

So to get an accurate picture, occurrences are divided up per person, rather than just counting how many happened.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:11 AM

https://fox5sandiego.com/2019/07/16/...in-san-carlos/

Homeless guy. I don't know why people don't 'harden' their homes, just a bit even, so someone will not be able to EASILY break in. If you are not able to hear someone trying to break in and have enough time to arm yourself then you are no more secure than if you lived in a tent.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:49 AM
Administrator

Quote:
So the "fail" was your assumption. This stabbing had zero to do with sanctuary anything.
You're making your own assumptions there.
1) You're assuming that the media wouldn't call a Hispanic male white when it suits their agenda. (White hispanic, anyone?)
2) You're assuming the truth of his statement has anything to do with this incident. He made a prediction about the future; this episode is in the past. He didn't say this incident was because of sanctuary status
Old 07-18-2019, 10:55 AM

Tim Burke ----- Our local media regularly describes suspects as Black, White, or Hispanic every day. So clearly there's no conspiracy in this. Furthermore, their report of a successful use of a GUN for self-defense was one of the lead stories on local news channels for 2 days.

So----- "Liberal Agenda"?? Nope. If anything, this was PRO gun, not Anti.

And Kevin's one-sentence response to the burglary was ABOUT the burglary.

Obviously.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:40 AM

Trying again*

Quote:
On Lakeshore Drive, San Carlos, CA 92119 (suburb of San Diego) there's a house my wife & I stroll past every evening on our after-dinner walk.

Last night a burglar broke in and was confronted by the homeowner, a man that owns a large, local tire & auto repair shop.

A fight ensued where the perp stabbed the man in the chest several times.

The Man's adult son (20) emerged from his room and shot the intruder, who then fled out the back door.

He was found dead, floating in the pool. The homeowner is in the hospital, condition is stable.

I can't post a link but it's easily found under "san carlos shooting" If anyone here wants to post it, please do Note that this house is in a nice, rather expensive area close to the lake. It's not 'The 'Hood by any stretch.
Kudos to father and son defending the family. My read is that “stable” is “likely to survive”.

We had a fairly similar incident, not long ago, only a few doors away. The survivors’ claim is that the teenage son interrupted his mother’s “boy friend” in beating her. The son entirely punching out the b.f.’s ticket with a tool that happened to be handy. If true, the teenage son deserves recognition for taking on a full-grown man already in all-out violence mode. Likewise, ours is a [usually] quiet neighborhood. Bad things happen anywhere.

*- wrote [something like] this response Tue ... but connection / site was behaving badly and I see the ‘Submit Reply’ didn’t take. \ -;