Notices

Old 02-05-2019, 08:37 AM

Jogger kills Cougar

Love to hear how he did it!
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ndation-widget
Hi Standard Sentinel Deluxe
S&W Model 19
Old 02-05-2019, 10:57 AM

I read about that and want to know the full story too. That's a story for the grandkids I am sure.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:26 AM

This is in my backyard-I can see Horsetooth rock out my back window from the house. I heard this morning the mountain lion weighed in at 80lbs so not fully grown but I can't imagine killing one bare handed if that was the case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2019, 01:26 PM

It turns out the guy suffocated the cougar to death. They said it was not clear whether he actually strangled or simply suffocated the cougar, but that he managed to get on top of it and was then able to dispatch it.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:33 PM

However it was done is pretty amazing.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:20 PM

Strangling an eighty pound Cougar.

I would like to hear this story.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:13 PM

Wrestling a mountain lion for your survival and choking it out barehanded (as reported by several sources) is pretty darn hard core.
This does not seem like luck, it was fight. Okay maybe a little luck too, but tough. It sounds like he fought with everything he had and prevailed after he was ambushed by the young lion from behind. Respect.

NRA Life Member
RSO
Old 02-05-2019, 04:23 PM

This man definitely has cojones.

Love to hear some or any details on how this went down.

Another reminder when you are going into the sticks alone- always be packing!
Old 02-05-2019, 04:37 PM

To those of us who train in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, the Rear Naked Choke (so named because you only use your arms rather than using your opponents jacket to choke them), which many also know as the “Sleeper Hold” has another Brazilian name - Mata Leao...the Lion Killer!
Old 02-05-2019, 08:58 PM

I at first thought he used a handgun, but then later I found out he went hand to hand with the cougar. Amazing story to tell one's kids in the future. Of course the jogger was very lucky, especially that it wasn't a fully grown adult cougar.

Down here in Texas over in Plano, they are enduring a spate of aggressive coyotes attacking joggers in one area. It doesn't seem to be just one coyote but several individuals acting separately too.

A number of years ago the Texas Governor Perry shot a coyote that was threatening him while out jogging near his home too.
ref https://www.texastribune.org/2010/04...shoots-coyote/

Last edited by earlwb; 02-05-2019 at 08:58 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 02-05-2019, 09:15 PM

I will take my hat off for the jogger.

Without a doubt, if I killed a lion with my bare hands I would get a taxidermy to make me a hat out of it... it’s long tail down my back. I would wear it everyday. Tell that to Davy Crockett.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryO45 View Post
Without a doubt, if I killed a lion with my bare hands I would get a taxidermy to make me a hat out of it... it’s long tail down my back. I would wear it everyday. Tell that to Davy Crockett.
I’m with you Harry,,,that cat would be in my living room and I also think I’d hang up my running shoes too...
Old 02-05-2019, 09:58 PM

I am guessing that the guy will have plenty of scars.

To show off as souvenirs of that experience.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:39 PM

I hear you on the bare-handed choke-hold of a mountain lion...that would be one tough fight.

While I have never choked a mtn. lion down, I did once get attacked from behind by a very large German Shepherd, and had to choke it to death. While I came away relatively unscathed, it wasn’t a pleasant experience. I would just as soon fight a demon. While I was armed at the time, I was taken by absolute surprise (standing in someone’s front doorway, engaged in conversation), and couldn’t spare a hand to draw my gun until I had already prevailed. It was a pretty even match, although I outweighed him by about 65 lbs.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:53 AM

Man! I bet that was not easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinTXAggie View Post
I hear you on the bare-handed choke-hold of a mountain lion...that would be one tough fight.

While I have never choked a mtn. lion down, I did once get attacked from behind by a very large German Shepherd, and had to choke it to death. While I came away relatively unscathed, it wasn’t a pleasant experience. I would just as soon fight a demon. While I was armed at the time, I was taken by absolute surprise (standing in someone’s front doorway, engaged in conversation), and couldn’t spare a hand to draw my gun until I had already prevailed. It was a pretty even match, although I outweighed him by about 65 lbs.
So how long were you shaking after it was over? I had a human being try and nearly succeed in killing me with his fists years ago. And when I was finally able to end the attack thanks to a conveniently placed fire axe. I was pretty traumatized for several hours afterword's.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:00 AM

Apparently the name of that man was "Tarzan"...

come on I can't believe it.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:02 AM

Cougar attack on jogger

Since the cougar was found to be a "juvenile" that weighed about 85 lbs., the jogger may have weighed about 150 lbs. or more.....most joggers are usually in better shape than people that never exercise.

Since he turned and saw the cougar lunging, he was able to fend off the initial attack, and I am sure he had an endorphin and adrenaline boost since the animal was intent on killing him to make a meal out of him...…

If the jogger was holding the attacking cougar close, and was able to use his weight to rollover and get on top of the animals back to pin the animal down, he could have choked the life out of the cougar...... and the adrenaline rush would most likely have helped...…

People in a fight to the death with a predatory animal that is half their size have a better chance of survival than being attacked by a 180-200lb. adult cougar......

Kudos to the jogger....!!! The juvenile cougar bit off more than he bargained for.....

Last edited by Rwehavinfunyet; 02-06-2019 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:21 AM

Yes, but you better do it fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwehavinfunyet View Post
If the jogger was holding the attacking cougar close, and was able to use his weight to rollover and get on top of the animals back to pin the animal down, he could have choked the life out of the cougar...... and the adrenaline rush would most likely have helped...…
Kudos to the jogger....!!! The juvenile cougar bit off more than he bargained for.....
Because while you are choking it. It will no doubt be doing it's best to disembowel you with all of it's claws, especially it's hind claws just like it will do when it hunts.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
So how long were you shaking after it was over? I had a human being try and nearly succeed in killing me with his fists years ago. And when I was finally able to end the attack thanks to a conveniently placed fire axe. I was pretty traumatized for several hours afterword's.
I was admittedly a bit shaken up for a while. It's tough to just shake off such an adrenalin surge immediately. And the sweat that comes with it...

And, as mentioned above, animals fight with all four legs (at once) and their teeth; and their hind legs articulate in such a way as to enable this, while ours do not. I would never want to fight a 4-legged predator that matched my weight. You might win, but it's going to leave some serious marks...

USMM---I remember you once mentioning that fight, and ending it with an axe. Pretty tough situation. Sounds like that axe and a tough will saved your life.

Last edited by FightinTXAggie; 02-06-2019 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:24 AM

I heard when local DOW went to retrieve the cat's body for examination another animal, possibly another mountain lion that's been seen in the area, had started snacking on the carcass & tore it up pretty good. Rabies test came back negative
Old 02-06-2019, 12:19 PM

Did I type that out loud?

Last edited by HarryO45; 02-06-2019 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Deleted - bad taste
Old 02-06-2019, 12:22 PM

hahaha
Old 02-06-2019, 03:32 PM

Belly-to-belly

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
Because while you are choking it. It will no doubt be doing it's best to disembowel you with all of it's claws, especially it's hind claws just like it will do when it hunts.
... that would take only one try.
j -;

... which thought struck sharply reading this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arithon View Post
This man definitely has cojones.
... yeah, at the beginning of the fight.
} -;

Male leopards territorial disputes are reputed to quickly resolve when one or both become disqualified for breeding.

Pumas hind legs are *incredibly* strong ... even for cats. To have walked away, either the jogger -must- have avoided the cat’s “best defense” or the cat didn’t employ it. If “juvenile” was used in the technical sense, the cat was definitely <3yrs old and possibly substantially less. Other stories indicate the puma as a male. 85lb/38kg would be nearly fully grown for a female but indicates a much younger male; likely still supposed to be hunting with mama. Reads to me as the jogger benefitted by quick thinking, persistence/will of his own, possibly training ... but also from -lack- of training on the cat’s part.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastjv View Post
To those of us who train in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, the Rear Naked Choke (so named because you only use your arms rather than using your opponents jacket to choke them), which many also know as the “Sleeper Hold” has another Brazilian name - Mata Leao...the Lion Killer!
I was thinking same thing. Guy must have some Jiu Jitsu or other H2H skills as well as the will to survive.
COTEP#782
Old 02-06-2019, 09:04 PM

Badass. 100%