Strikers range reviews, Wilson EDC X9 - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-20-2018, 12:47 AM

I hope you guys enjoyed reading this, sorry it took so long but I had a way more difficult workweek than normal and I just couldn't focus well enough during the weekdays to write something coherent. I am not 100% sure what I am going to cover next but I think it will be something other than a 1911 since those reviews are shorter for me to write, there is a used Wilson ADP near me that is calling my name.......
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 08-20-2018, 01:52 AM

Work? Between being on the forum & writing reviews then all the shooting you do when do you have time for work? I get it your job is participating in a sleep study!
Old 08-20-2018, 05:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
I hope you guys enjoyed reading this, sorry it took so long but I had a way more difficult workweek than normal and I just couldn't focus well enough during the weekdays to write something coherent. I am not 100% sure what I am going to cover next but I think it will be something other than a 1911 since those reviews are shorter for me to write, there is a used Wilson ADP near me that is calling my name.......
I particularly enjoy your range reports, and if this one represents not being able to be focused and coherent on your part, then you are definitely ahead of the game of balancing work with hobbies. We will all have a certain bias in evaluation based on our own physical, mental, and aesthetic preferences, but your reports are factual, well thought out, well articulated, and presented in a way that gives some basis for measurement that I personally think they are some of the best range reviews of various guns that have appeared on this forum for quite some time. Keep up the good work.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2018, 07:35 AM

Striker: "The other MASSIVE issue I have with the X9 is that it is SLOWER and LESS accurate than my main carry gun as I have clearly outlined above in the shooting performance section of this review. Even though the X9 is a 9mm gun I was unable to match the speed and accuracy of my main carry using FULL POWER HST+P ammo with underpowered 115g 9mm range ammo trying harder with the X9 with also more shots and overall time behind the X9 during the time each video was shot for each gun. Now with over 3800 rounds on my carry comp there is literally no hope of the X9 ever even tying it for speed/accuracy. There is ZERO incentive for me to get fewer, less effective rounds on target less accurately in a gun that is harder to conceal. It would make absolutely no sense for me to objectively downgrade ALL my performance metrics just to have more rounds in the gun and less weight."

Granted, as you indicated, the above comments are about (your) personal choice, but it is a fine expose about the pro's and con's of any 2 guns. One has to go beyond the obvious (extra rounds) and look at speed, accuracy, and round for round firepower. You made a great point about the ease of carrying 1911 mags, and in the rare-instance (statistics support that reloads in civilian SD are indeed very rare), reloading is a very viable option...I'm not saying everyone should come to the same conclusion, but each shooter is wise to look at all these attributes, when making a carry-choice...As for me, I am a big fan of comped-45 and have backed up my belief with 2, a WC-Carry comp, and an STI-CC. We have a lawsuit in Federal Court to get carry rights in NJ, so it is coming in a couple of years. The STI has more rounds, but the WC is a tighter carry package, they will work well together here over the 4 season's we have and the different attires...And it looks like after almost 2 months of 70, 80, and 90% humidity, I am finally going to shoot them again, Thursday and Friday, two gorgeous days of mid-50's humidity. Hooray! :-)
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 08-20-2018 at 07:46 AM.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:33 PM

I enjoyed your review. Your perceptions are spot on with my experiences. Yes, it is a nice gun and probably a better gun than 95% can appreciate. For me, the trigger is its downfall. For my edcs, it is a distant 3rd in overall trigger. My Novak commander and DW ECO have substantially better triggers. They are also much more accurate in my hands. My Gen 5 19s with Taran internals, are substantially faster and higher scoring in any drill I do on a regular basis. I have taken the X9 out of the carry rotation since it does not provide any benefit over any of my existing edcs.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:30 PM

UPDATE

I shot about 200 rounds of Gold dot G2 ammo now plus 1000 more ball rounds since the former are very hard to feed, the gun is still perfect in terms of function and is quickly becoming my favorite 9mm carry. Speed is also up a lot, reloads are way faster than any 1911 by a longshot and I have now memorized the recoil impulse.

Accuracy is good too, not quite on the level of a full size gun but I am pleased all things considered. Below is 25 yards shot in that new range I talked about that actually has good lighting. Excuse my lack of skill but the gun itself does well. It prints about half as well as my CQB 9mm (the king right now along with the CZ Shadow)

I can say without hesitation that if this gun was compensated I would ditch .45 for good as my carry caliber.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland

Last edited by Striker2237; 09-08-2018 at 10:44 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

Good to hear Striker. This gun is a little different in a few ways than the traditional 1911 in the way it feels and handles under live fire, but taking a little time with it to work it at the range pays off well for its designed and intended purpose. I really love mine, and will probably transition to it at some point, albeit some time down the road at this point.

As a side note, as I have shot mine more recently I have become noticeably better with it.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 12-13-2018, 08:27 PM

Thanks for the in depth review. I have recently acquired an EDC X9 and was very interested in reading your thoughts. I am finding that I am enjoying it more and more each time that I shoot it.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:02 AM

Probably the most definitive review of a pistol I have ever read!
I ordered my X9 unseen direct from Wilson last April because it fit my requirement for a high cap 1911 pattern pistol. Would have preferred 38 Super or 357 SIG.
When I recieved it, out to the range, accurate, 100% functioning right out of the soft case.
Ran all the mags I purchased along with it, into the Alabama OffSide Holster that I had to send a BlueGun for a correct fit.
It has been in that holster ever since, replacing a Sig Nightmare Carry in 357 as an EDC.
I have no problem with the trigger or any other features except I wish it had two rear Tritium dots!
My first Wilson and i am impressed.
No matter what the genre, usually the reviewer details the faults according to his/her perceptions and then terms the item a POS compared to custom or to a collectable that is ancient in terms of production. But after your review you seem to have come to what I would term correct conclusions.
-Richard
Colt Combat Commander 70 38 Super
Colt Custom Competition SS
Old 05-15-2019, 04:46 PM

Wow! Great detailed review. Way above my pay grade and weapon intelligence.

Ordered this pistol three months ago and hope that they have made some quality control improvements since your review.

All I have read and viewed has been extremely positive. However, no one did more that 'Field Strip' and replace grips.

WC has a great maintenance video that replaced all springs and Shok-buff. Re-build looked very easy.

Craig
Old 12-07-2019, 10:43 AM

Would Magnaporting or something similar help with recoil/recovery? I have shot comps on my .460 Rowland and know they are more effective than porting. I have never had a Magnaported gun so I don’t know how effective they would be and personally I ain’t adding any holes to my X9 but it is something I was wondering about after your excellent review
Old 12-07-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacecars View Post
Would Magnaporting or something similar help with recoil/recovery? I have shot comps on my .460 Rowland and know they are more effective than porting. I have never had a Magnaported gun so I donít know how effective they would be and personally I ainít adding any holes to my X9 but it is something I was wondering about after your excellent review
I think it would work well, I have a Glock 32C that is used as a cheap (got it for $275) vehicle gun since the round doesn't suffer from the ports and still performs well against car bodies and doesn't require the usual 1 inch increase in length a Glock comp adds. Shoots flatter than my G19 with more power so aside from the foot long lances of fire its great.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:47 AM

Wow, what a fantastic review! Striker, seriously, you should have a Youtube gig going. Most of the reviews on Youtube aren't 1/4 as good as yours are. Your photography, the words, the objectivity, and the conclusions are all spot on, and fun to read. Plus, I've seen you shoot on your videos, and you do that expertly too. A year from now, I'll turn on Channel 604 ("Lock and Load Thursday") on Thursday night and see your TV show.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:16 AM

Massively excellent review.

Outstanding detail and insight. Folks may or may not share the experiences nor may they agree with them....but I feel that everyone can benefit from your postings on this gun.

Far too often the range reviews are simple...."went to the range today, ran two boxes through XYZ gun in caliber ABC. Love the gun." There's little substance to them to better understand a person's familiarity of the weapon (for example: "Gun ran poorly" only to find out the person has zero experience with the type of gun: 1911, striker fired, SA/DA, revolver, etc). Type of grip used, distance, wind/weather and often are missing. Accuracy expectations, normal accuracy, etc, etc.

You nailed all of these......and gave us pics.....glorious pics. Videos, too. Very helpful.

I'm far from finished reading through it all.

I began reading from my iPhone prior to falling asleep last night. I didn't view the videos due to being in bed with my bride and not wanting to disturb her....although a few range videos would have been enjoyed.

I've had time to get some coffee and get further into it this morning. Very interesting.

Thank you for taking the time to share this on the forum.

The WC EXC X9 is a gun that's been on my radar for a while. I tend to carry commander 1911s and enjoy shooting them. That being said....a higher capacity 9mm is not a bad thing.....especially one that carries in very similar fashion as the commanders that I enjoy.

I've carried a Gen4 G19 for a few years and have to admit that I respect the gun immensely. It has run flawlessly. It rides nicely in a MS Criterion and has been more fun on the range than I ever expected. Big hands here, so the large beavertail backstrap and a GAP floorplate work best for me....but long range sessions do present some blisters due to cramped hand. I think the Gen5 version may work even better for me since the dreaded fingergrooves are gone. I hate fingergroove grips on any handgun. I see them on a 1911 and can't help but cringe. To each his own. I don't like my hand cramped by them.

Yessir, I really like the idea of 9mm carry gun with 15+1 capability.

I really liked the CZ75 in terms of feel in hand and SA accuracy, but the overall size of the gun and ultimately the DA/SA transition didn't work for me.

I've tried on different occasions to embrace the P220 & P226 series. As much as I wanted to love 'em....I simply never developed the skill with them that I felt was warranted. The G19 or commanders were way more accurate on draw, first shot and followup shots. By a large margin. Classic Sigs...as much as I wanted to love 'em....just not my thing.

I'd always thought I'd give a Hi Power a try. The times I've shot them have been very interesting. The three I've fired each had vastly different sights, grips and trigger feels. I felt confident that were I to get one set up to my liking that it may dominate my carry guns to the point of exclusion of others, lol. Turns out I waited too long and missed that ship. I'm not interested in trying to source parts & guru's for an out of production gun. Clones from Turkey hold zero interest to me.

The Dan Wesson DWX and the smaller carry version are of interest. It'll be cool to see what they come up with.

The WC EDC X9 is appealing to me, though. Small enough to have good carry comfort, large enough to handle well and tote an impressive payload. Lifetime warranty from a company that is well known for doing things right by it's customers.

Large hands....but the grips & trigger seem to offer changeability to accommodate.

I wish the gun was steel framed....but that's just my own hangup. Truth is the reduced weight will be welcome and as stated, WC will stand behind it for life so my hangup is really a moot point.

Last night from my initial cellphone read I was puzzled about the initial targets you posted. The test targets I've seen that accompany these guns are one-hole groups for the most part. Yours were not as tight and I was unable to see the posting so well from my cellphone.

Everything made perfect sense later this morning when I had the benefits of coffee and my laptop where I could not only read the content better but could watch the videos without bothering sleeping folks.

The rate of fire of the videos fully explained the grouping. You were going at it superfast. Videos explained it all.

I've surprised at the initial trigger feel. You dealt with it and obtained what must be a super feel. 3.5lbs & crisp is super in my opinion.

My only hangups on the gun was being able to find one locally to handle....determine what trigger & grip config is perfect for me......and then peeling of the ~ $3,000 skins that these gems cost.

The last consideration I'd have to make is if I'd want rail or not.

Well......I'm now heading back to the review and watching the videos.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post

The barrel wore in well, I see nothing wrong at all and all contact patterns are symmetrical and even.

The wear patterns on the lower lugs and slide stop show a major issue with the barrel fit on this pistol. I am not surprised by the lack of accuracy.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbacker_99 View Post
The wear patterns on the lower lugs and slide stop show a major issue with the barrel fit on this pistol. I am not surprised by the lack of accuracy.
It now single holes at 15 yards, barrel beat itself into place after 7k and that's good enough and for a production non-handfit gun I don't see an issue. On my other 1911s sure the bump is bad but on this it doesn't matter, still outshoots any of my plastic guns.

Last edited by Striker2237; 01-20-2020 at 08:59 PM.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:54 PM

Even with the drop-in/semi drop-in nature of this barrel the fit is poor. It may be good enough for you but I find it unacceptable even at this price point.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbacker_99 View Post
Even with the drop-in/semi drop-in nature of this barrel the fit is poor. It may be good enough for you but I find it unacceptable even at this price point.
You should see my NHC guns......they make this one look good. My other Wilsons and Brown are perfect with no bump or weirdness, it's only on the X9 that I have seen this barrel bump. Still shoots fine for what it's supposed to be.