any one know what weight of the SR1911's firing pin spring is? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-11-2015, 07:18 AM
silvermane_1 silvermane_1 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Burien, WA
Posts: 62
any one know what weight of the SR1911's firing pin spring is?

any one know what the weight of the SR1911's firing pin spring is?, the only info i know is says that it a heavy firing pin spring, the reason i'm asking is that i'm considering shooting 45 Super/45 SMC out of my SR1911 CMD, and i already know that i would need a 20-22 lb. recoil spring, also i'm considering getting a 400 Corbon barrel for my SR1911 CMD if/when i can find a 4.25" barrel for it.
thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-11-2015, 11:54 PM
silvermane_1 silvermane_1 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Burien, WA
Posts: 62
really?, no one knows?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-12-2015, 01:23 AM
bigggbbruce bigggbbruce is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,973
If I'm not mistaken, SR1911's have lighter firing pins, with standard springs.

Just looked, heavier spring but no data given.

Wolf offer XP springs.
__________________
I don't own guns. This is all pretend.

Last edited by bigggbbruce; 02-12-2015 at 01:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 02-12-2015, 10:43 AM
crashoverrideplik crashoverrideplik is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 5,166
In all of mine I just re-sprung them all with kits from Wolff. I use the extra power conventional kit 13101. I run a 22 lb recoil spring in mine.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-12-2015, 12:21 PM
19ontheslide 19ontheslide is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Washington
Posts: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermane_1 View Post
any one know what the weight of the SR1911's firing pin spring is?, the only info i know is says that it a heavy firing pin spring, the reason i'm asking is that i'm considering shooting 45 Super/45 SMC out of my SR1911 CMD, and i already know that i would need a 20-22 lb. recoil spring, also i'm considering getting a 400 Corbon barrel for my SR1911 CMD if/when i can find a 4.25" barrel for it.
thanks.
-- I don't understand what the firing pin spring has to do with shooting high pressure rounds out of your gun. The firing pin spring is the spring that goes around the firing pin inside the slide. I've only ever seen them described as "standard" or "extra power" by manufacturers, not usually given as specific weights. Ruger, by the way, uses an extra power firing pin spring combined with a titanium firing pin to increase the weapon's drop-safeness. If you meant mainspring (sometimes called "hammer spring") that's a different discussion entirely, as that spring does have an effect on the recoil and wear characteristics of the gun. I would guess that Ruger's standard mainspring weight is the usual 23 lbs and I've not seen anything that has led me to believe otherwise, though you might well want a stronger mainspring for shooting zippity-doo-dah loads.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-12-2015, 10:10 PM
silvermane_1 silvermane_1 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Burien, WA
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19ontheslide View Post
-- I don't understand what the firing pin spring has to do with shooting high pressure rounds out of your gun. The firing pin spring is the spring that goes around the firing pin inside the slide. I've only ever seen them described as "standard" or "extra power" by manufacturers, not usually given as specific weights. Ruger, by the way, uses an extra power firing pin spring combined with a titanium firing pin to increase the weapon's drop-safeness. If you meant mainspring (sometimes called "hammer spring") that's a different discussion entirely, as that spring does have an effect on the recoil and wear characteristics of the gun. I would guess that Ruger's standard mainspring weight is the usual 23 lbs and I've not seen anything that has led me to believe otherwise, though you might well want a stronger mainspring for shooting zippity-doo-dah loads.
^thanks for info 19ontheslide, i could of swore that i read somewhere that a heavier firing pin spring would be required to shoot 45 Super/45 SMC out of a SR1911 CMD, i know that i would need heavier recoil springs, didn't know that i might need a heavier mainsprings though, and thanks again for the info folks.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-12-2015, 10:35 PM
Earlsbud Earlsbud is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Where we know we belong to the land, and the land we belong to is grand.
Posts: 2,666
Well, Ruger would know.

Here is a great recent thread on springs. Post # 6 particularly.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=482022


Excerpt from post # 6: When tuning a gun, it's important to ensure that you're adjusting all the springs in concert to eliminate any chance of timing problems, cycling problems, feeding problems, or light strikes, etc.
__________________
Grip. Stance. Hold. Sight Alignment. Trigger control, squeeze/press.

Last edited by Earlsbud; 02-12-2015 at 10:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-13-2015, 02:08 AM
silvermane_1 silvermane_1 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Burien, WA
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlsbud View Post
Well, Ruger would know.

Here is a great recent thread on springs. Post # 6 particularly.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=482022


Excerpt from post # 6: When tuning a gun, it's important to ensure that you're adjusting all the springs in concert to eliminate any chance of timing problems, cycling problems, feeding problems, or light strikes, etc.
^thanks for the info Earlsbud.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-05-2015, 12:34 PM
dakota1911 dakota1911 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: The Great American Desert
Posts: 22,837
An old gunsmith told me years ago that any automatic is a "dance of the springs". Thanks to companies like Wolff you can buy pounds of them and piddle and play till you are happy.

Brownells sells a digital spring gauge if you are reeeeeely curious. Have one but my results may be different than yours.
__________________
NRA Life Member
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-06-2015, 09:04 AM
silvermane_1 silvermane_1 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Burien, WA
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota1911 View Post
An old gunsmith told me years ago that any automatic is a "dance of the springs". Thanks to companies like Wolff you can buy pounds of them and piddle and play till you are happy.

Brownells sells a digital spring gauge if you are reeeeeely curious. Have one but my results may be different than yours.
^ thanks for the info dakota1911, also has anyone converted their SR1911 for 45 Super/450 SMC?, and if so, care share the details?, the main reason i want to shoot near magnum power rounds out of my SR1911 CMD, is that the 45 ACP rounds i load in my SR1911 are DRT JHP 150gr. "safety slugs", and 1100 fps. out of a 4-4.25" bbl, and i think somewhere around 325-350ftlbs of energy, where as from specs i've read for 45 Super/450 SMC load with 185gr. JHP is around 1300-1350fps and 600+ ftlbs. from a 5" bbl. and i would like to use those rounds for SD in the woods and possibly EDC/HD purposes, and i am aware of the possible accelerated wear to the SR1911 CMD that these type of loads would cause, but i also think that the SR1911 CMD could handle these loads with the proper mods, i.e. heaver duty springs all around, however i think that SR1911 CMD already has heavy duty springs with the exception of the recoil spring, i already found out that the firing pin spring is "heavy duty" and the firing pin is Ti, but i'm not quite sure about the main spring, but as it been posted by Earlsbud, the main spring might need to be replace as well. i also would like to thank everyone that has posted, and keep the info coming.

Last edited by silvermane_1; 03-06-2015 at 09:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-13-2015, 01:26 PM
dakota1911 dakota1911 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: The Great American Desert
Posts: 22,837
I also noticed they are like a $2 part at shopruger.com, so I guess it would not cost too much to experiment. They also have the mainspring and recoil spring also there and I think the Ti firing pin is like $18.
__________________
NRA Life Member
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-07-2019, 06:21 AM
silvermane_1911 silvermane_1911 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Burien, WA
Posts: 116
Up Date, i got a 5" 400 Cor-Bon barrel and made a box of(20 rnds) 185gr. XTP 45 Super, oh and had to start a new account here because i wasn't able to change my password for my silvermane_1 account.
__________________
Common Sense isn't very Common anymore.
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." Samuel Clemens

No Regerts.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:33 AM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2015 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved