any one know what weight of the SR1911's firing pin spring is? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-11-2015, 07:18 AM

any one know what weight of the SR1911's firing pin spring is?

any one know what the weight of the SR1911's firing pin spring is?, the only info i know is says that it a heavy firing pin spring, the reason i'm asking is that i'm considering shooting 45 Super/45 SMC out of my SR1911 CMD, and i already know that i would need a 20-22 lb. recoil spring, also i'm considering getting a 400 Corbon barrel for my SR1911 CMD if/when i can find a 4.25" barrel for it.
thanks.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:54 PM

really?, no one knows?
Old 02-12-2015, 01:23 AM

If I'm not mistaken, SR1911's have lighter firing pins, with standard springs.

Just looked, heavier spring but no data given.

Wolf offer XP springs.

Last edited by bigggbbruce; 02-12-2015 at 01:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2015, 10:43 AM

In all of mine I just re-sprung them all with kits from Wolff. I use the extra power conventional kit 13101. I run a 22 lb recoil spring in mine.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermane_1 View Post
any one know what the weight of the SR1911's firing pin spring is?, the only info i know is says that it a heavy firing pin spring, the reason i'm asking is that i'm considering shooting 45 Super/45 SMC out of my SR1911 CMD, and i already know that i would need a 20-22 lb. recoil spring, also i'm considering getting a 400 Corbon barrel for my SR1911 CMD if/when i can find a 4.25" barrel for it.
thanks.
-- I don't understand what the firing pin spring has to do with shooting high pressure rounds out of your gun. The firing pin spring is the spring that goes around the firing pin inside the slide. I've only ever seen them described as "standard" or "extra power" by manufacturers, not usually given as specific weights. Ruger, by the way, uses an extra power firing pin spring combined with a titanium firing pin to increase the weapon's drop-safeness. If you meant mainspring (sometimes called "hammer spring") that's a different discussion entirely, as that spring does have an effect on the recoil and wear characteristics of the gun. I would guess that Ruger's standard mainspring weight is the usual 23 lbs and I've not seen anything that has led me to believe otherwise, though you might well want a stronger mainspring for shooting zippity-doo-dah loads.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19ontheslide View Post
-- I don't understand what the firing pin spring has to do with shooting high pressure rounds out of your gun. The firing pin spring is the spring that goes around the firing pin inside the slide. I've only ever seen them described as "standard" or "extra power" by manufacturers, not usually given as specific weights. Ruger, by the way, uses an extra power firing pin spring combined with a titanium firing pin to increase the weapon's drop-safeness. If you meant mainspring (sometimes called "hammer spring") that's a different discussion entirely, as that spring does have an effect on the recoil and wear characteristics of the gun. I would guess that Ruger's standard mainspring weight is the usual 23 lbs and I've not seen anything that has led me to believe otherwise, though you might well want a stronger mainspring for shooting zippity-doo-dah loads.
^thanks for info 19ontheslide, i could of swore that i read somewhere that a heavier firing pin spring would be required to shoot 45 Super/45 SMC out of a SR1911 CMD, i know that i would need heavier recoil springs, didn't know that i might need a heavier mainsprings though, and thanks again for the info folks.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:35 PM

Location: Where we know we belong to the land, and the land we belong to is grand.
Well, Ruger would know.

Here is a great recent thread on springs. Post # 6 particularly.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=482022

Excerpt from post # 6: When tuning a gun, it's important to ensure that you're adjusting all the springs in concert to eliminate any chance of timing problems, cycling problems, feeding problems, or light strikes, etc.

Last edited by Earlsbud; 02-12-2015 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlsbud View Post
Well, Ruger would know.

Here is a great recent thread on springs. Post # 6 particularly.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=482022

Excerpt from post # 6: When tuning a gun, it's important to ensure that you're adjusting all the springs in concert to eliminate any chance of timing problems, cycling problems, feeding problems, or light strikes, etc.
^thanks for the info Earlsbud.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:34 PM

An old gunsmith told me years ago that any automatic is a "dance of the springs". Thanks to companies like Wolff you can buy pounds of them and piddle and play till you are happy.

Brownells sells a digital spring gauge if you are reeeeeely curious. Have one but my results may be different than yours.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota1911 View Post
An old gunsmith told me years ago that any automatic is a "dance of the springs". Thanks to companies like Wolff you can buy pounds of them and piddle and play till you are happy.

Brownells sells a digital spring gauge if you are reeeeeely curious. Have one but my results may be different than yours.
^ thanks for the info dakota1911, also has anyone converted their SR1911 for 45 Super/450 SMC?, and if so, care share the details?, the main reason i want to shoot near magnum power rounds out of my SR1911 CMD, is that the 45 ACP rounds i load in my SR1911 are DRT JHP 150gr. "safety slugs", and 1100 fps. out of a 4-4.25" bbl, and i think somewhere around 325-350ftlbs of energy, where as from specs i've read for 45 Super/450 SMC load with 185gr. JHP is around 1300-1350fps and 600+ ftlbs. from a 5" bbl. and i would like to use those rounds for SD in the woods and possibly EDC/HD purposes, and i am aware of the possible accelerated wear to the SR1911 CMD that these type of loads would cause, but i also think that the SR1911 CMD could handle these loads with the proper mods, i.e. heaver duty springs all around, however i think that SR1911 CMD already has heavy duty springs with the exception of the recoil spring, i already found out that the firing pin spring is "heavy duty" and the firing pin is Ti, but i'm not quite sure about the main spring, but as it been posted by Earlsbud, the main spring might need to be replace as well. i also would like to thank everyone that has posted, and keep the info coming.

Last edited by silvermane_1; 03-06-2015 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:26 PM

I also noticed they are like a $2 part at shopruger.com, so I guess it would not cost too much to experiment. They also have the mainspring and recoil spring also there and I think the Ti firing pin is like $18.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:21 AM

Up Date, i got a 5" 400 Cor-Bon barrel and made a box of(20 rnds) 185gr. XTP 45 Super, oh and had to start a new account here because i wasn't able to change my password for my silvermane_1 account.

No Regerts.