Why are full length guide rods so popular in expensive 1911s? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 09-03-2014, 11:05 PM

Why are full length guide rods so popular in expensive 1911s?

Their "advantages" do not seem obvious to me, but then I'm none too bright. The FLGR in my E Series just makes it a bit harder to field strip. All my other 1911s use the standard guide rod without any apparent problems...the design has been in use for 100 years so if it was a problem it seems to me it would have been abandoned long ago.

So, what are the advantages?

Would I anger the Gods if I changed out the FLGR in my E Series to the standard GI style?

Thanks
Old 09-03-2014, 11:11 PM

I thought of this the other day and i imagined the slide slopping side to side while recoiling with the standard guide rod. I feel that a full length guide rod would mitigate this potential problem. On another note, i have been using the standard guide rod for five years on my only pistol (colt commander) and have had little to no problems with it.
Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
Certified NRA Range Safety Officer
Old 09-03-2014, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianRedFox View Post
I thought of this the other day and i imagined the slide slopping side to side while recoiling with the standard guide rod. I feel that a full length guide rod would mitigate this potential problem. On another note, i have been using the standard guide rod for five years on my only pistol (colt commander) and have had little to no problems with it.

Were problems related to the gi guide rod?
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2014, 11:11 AM

Some say the added weight up front helps reduce muzzle flip, but I've noticed no difference. The two-piece guide rod that came on my SA Loaded ended up in my parts box after a month or two, mostly because it kept loosening while shooting. Blue Loctite kept that from happening, but it was more of a hassle than I cared to deal with.

I did switch to a Wilson two-piece setup for my Colt Officer to eliminate the dual-spring setup. It doesn't loosen during shooting like my Springer did.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:56 PM

My RIA came with a FLGR. After using them, I cannot see any difference than the conventional guide rod. I'm going back to the old style.

James
Old 09-04-2014, 01:13 PM
Banned

Money?

Other successful platforms seem ti have done well with guide rods and w/o the 1911 pattern frame feed ranp. If a vendor can imatate what seems to be, financially, a good idea, it just might improve sales.

Guide rods in 1911s just seem to make hand cycling sound 'tight'. Those and visably shiney feed ramps is a showroom pluse in a buyer's mind.

The Royal Blue finish on Colt Pythons dodn't make them shoot any better, but did, at least for me, generate lots of 'Oohs and Ahhs'.

Dunno. Just guessing.

salty
Old 09-04-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianRedFox View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gun_fan111 View Post
Were problems related to the gi guide rod?
That would only occur if the slide to frame rails fit was jacked..
Old 09-04-2014, 01:55 PM

People like FLGRs for exactly the same reason all those "tuners" like to put a rear wing spoiler on their FWD Hondas. Cuz it looks so kewl.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:31 PM

FWIW, I've never had a FLGR equipped gun that I couldn't field strip without tools, just like the guns with a GI rod equipped gun. More weight forward does = reduced muzzle flip, the question is whether you can capitalize on that or not.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:37 PM

What makes you think they are popular on high end guns?
All my semi customs have come with gi rods.

Bob
Old 09-04-2014, 05:28 PM

Some gun makers include them as a cheap way to make their product look like it has all the bells and whistles. It costs them very little and it's another tick mark for them on their list of "features".

FLGRs are a dubious feature made popular years ago by the IPSC crowd. Unless you're unlucky enough to have a 1911 that requires the FLGR (like a coned barrel or some shortys), you can easily & cheaply yank it and replace it with a GI-style guide rod and plug.
I do the same with detachable mag funnels.

Your mileage may vary. I drive a Hemi.
Attached Thumbnails
Hemi1.jpg  

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O

Last edited by Burgs; 09-04-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:52 PM

Ive tried over the years to prove one or the other was superior by switching them gun to gun and shooting for groups and reliability. Never have been able to find one piece of evidence to put one over the other. Pick what you like. I think the GI looks better/cleaner at the muzzle.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:40 AM

I don't see any need for a full-length guide rod. As mentioned before, it simply makes the gun more difficult to disassemble.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:57 AM

A one piece with a takedown hole, IMO, makes the gun easier to disassemble.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFalk View Post
I don't see any need for a full-length guide rod. As mentioned before, it simply makes the gun more difficult to disassemble.
If it's properly set up, I fail to see how. I can disassemble my FLGR equipped 1911's just as quickly and easily as the ones without. No tools needed.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:32 AM

I not only have FLGR's (after years of railing against them) now I want tungsten FLGR's to try.

But, I've been married 3 times, I've been known to change my mind on stuff.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:41 AM

I always change the 1911s that come with FLGR to GI type.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:30 PM

They are not a big deal to change out. Try it and see what you like best.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:22 PM

I changed mine out with a Wilson GI guide rod and 'Bulletproof' plug.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:21 PM
Banned

I only have two 1911's both are relatively new to me and both have FLGR. I have two other autos that also have FLGR. I guess I'm just used to them. What's the issue with them? Mine break down easily. Maybe GI's are faster. I don't know. Mine are 100% functional. Seem to be a matter of preference.

Is this a chevy vs ford ? If there was no benefit I doubt competitive shooters would use them.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:53 AM

A "coned" or bull barrel does not require a FLGR. It will require a reverse spring plug to retain the spring. I have been running GI guide rods in guns with bull barrels for years. After years of selling and installing FLGRs in customers guns I have finally come to the decision that they really serve no purpose. They may add a tiny bit of weight but not enough to make any noticeable difference when shooting unless you use a heavy large dia. tungsten guide rod. Even then, it's not much. Bill Wilson (who started most of this silliness) used to claim that a FLGR would increase the life of the recoil spring. IMO recoil springs are a consumable part and are going to have to be replaced as they lose tension anyway.

Last edited by drail; 09-13-2014 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:08 PM

Interesting replies to my original question. I tend to agree with Burgs and drail and have decided to change out the FLGR on my Smith to the GI style using the same Wilson bits Ironhandjohn chose. This will keep my Smith in a condition the same as my other four 1911s so that I can operate each the same way with no need for my brain to change anything my hands are doing...

Thanks for the input, always informative and helpful in my learning process.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:49 PM

FLGRs are a solution searching for a problem!

Last edited by NDL; 10-19-2014 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:24 PM

Doesn't really make any difference in common use.. JMO
Old 10-20-2014, 11:40 AM

I started my 1911 journey with guns that had coned barrels that came with them. At that time I don't think I was even aware there was another kind. Right away, though, I disliked the stupid take down paper clip that needed to be used when stripping the weapon. Did some research and found out about the GI recoil spring and plug set up, tried 'em out and liked them better.

I read that, as stated earlier, that gun competioners really liked them supposedly for their added weight to the front of the weapon and to keep the recoil spring from binding up during compression which in reality means your weapon has issues in the recoil dept.

Since then, while I like the simpler nature of stripping a gun that has the GI system, purchasing a handgun with a FLGR isn't a deal killer, assuming the gun is something I want. In other words, it's a non issue.

And yes, my custom Baer Heavyweight Monolith came standard with the GI system although Les will install a FLGR if you insist. So no, customs don't automatically come with FLGRs.

Rick
COTEP Member #CBOB0698