Kimber Ultra CDP II - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-19-2020, 12:30 PM

Kimber Ultra CDP II

I am considering one in .45 for winter carry, would love to hear good and bad from owners, past and present.

Last edited by Joespapa; 01-19-2020 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:44 PM

I had one since they first came to market. It's a great carry gun. It was the main carry for me for almost 15 years, I haven't had one problem with it. I've sent it to Kimber twice for changing it's springs, guide rod and just making sure the timing was still right on everything. It's ate everything I fed it, except one box of bad ammo that didn't work in any gun. It's very accurate for such a short barreled .45. The only thing I can say I don't like about it is that it's finish acquired a couple of small scratches in the frame from me not being really careful about replacing the slide stop when reassembling it. Not a favorite for range use though because of the recoil, but that is felt in all officer size .45's. Once I get sufficient rounds through my new DW ECP, I'm going to keep this Kimber in my rotation. I recommend it.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:27 PM

I have one in .45 and one in 9mm. Never had an issue with either one and both way more accurate than I am.

As I aged, I have found myself carrying a commander length 9mm more often than not, as the 3"guns have just a bit too much recoil for my worn out shoulders.....

YMMV

Lon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2020, 07:59 PM

If you can get one that works they are fine. I have one in 45 and it has always worked, unlike a couple of other Kimber Ultra's I have. I don't use it very much and have never carried it but if I did I'd be concerned about the frame finish, they are not anodized and rather painted. The reason I say that it with very little use the guide rod has completely scraped off the finish inside the frame. Now it doesn't show but the same finish on a Super Carry I have wore off in a couple months of carry.
I don't know if you are married to Kimber or not, I have like seven of their Ultra's but the Ultra I really like is the Sig, have four of them. I carried a Nitron for four years and it still looks new. Also it has never failed and you don't need a tool to take it down.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:08 PM

I had an Ultra for a few years, never a problem with it really and damn accurate. However I picked up a compact which I like a lot better and it's just as concealable. Only difference really is 1 inch of slide. I sold the Ultra to a friend and from now on it's a compact or officer for me. I'd really like an all steel compact with a bushing barrel rather than a bull barrel but I don't know if anyone makes one.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:47 AM

I have one I feel very lucky to have as felt it went through the line when people were having a good day. It’s so damn accurate for a lil 3” no complaints at all!
Old 01-20-2020, 12:16 PM

My two EDC's are both CDP's in 9mm and .45, going on fifteen years.

Accurate, totally dependable, reasonably light and compact, and powerful for any "social chore" I may encounter.

There are many like them, but these are mine!