What might be causing this? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-18-2020, 05:45 PM

What might be causing this?

I have a modest collection of 1911 pistols including Colts, Springfield Armory's, a Kimber, a Magnum Research, a Remington and a Taurus PT 1911. The Taurus does appear to have any significantly different dimensions in the grip area than the other pistols. However, I will often pick this pistol up to shoot it and it won't fire. I often think it's jammed when in reality what's happened is that it did not fire because the webbing of my right hand isn't pushing hard enough into the back of the grip to disengage the safety. Nine other 1911's don't do this to me!

Any suggestion of what's different and what I might be able to do to fix it?
Old 01-18-2020, 07:14 PM

The first problem is it is a taurus. They are cheap for a reason, you get what you pay for.

You can try either remove the grip safety and file the nose so it clears the trigger bow sooner, or you can pin the grip safety. I don't recommend pinning, it is not a big job to relieve the nose a bit so the grip safety works for you.

The last option is to fit an aftermarket grip safety. Or sell it and let the next guy deal with it.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:51 PM

File a little bit on the bottom of the grip safety's blocking tab. Check the fit. Take very small amounts off until it clears. Maintain the radius on the corner. Go slow or you'll lose the GS function. Sand the surfaces you filed with 320-400 grit. Any 1911 that forces you to chicken choke it to fire needs fixing. I pinned all of mine down. They'll fire regardless of what kind of grip you grab in a hurry.

Last edited by drail; 01-18-2020 at 07:56 PM.