Spare front sight? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-17-2020, 10:27 PM

Spare front sight?

I recently took possession of my long awaited SR1911CMD. While waiting for the permits to come in, I was diligently perusing the forums for information about the SR1911CMD. It would seem that this version's Achilles heel is the front sight. My SR1911CMD would be my first line CCW and IDPA-style pistol.

Having been a service rifle competitor for too many years, I have learned to carry some basic tools and parts in my travels. In all honesty, the last thing I would want to do while either competing or carrying, is to take my first line pistol out of service due to a broken front sight. I would have no problems fitting and replacing a sight in the field. Might Ruger CS provide a spare front sight on request for field repairs, or would they require the slide be returned for sight replacement?

Thanks in advance for your opinions!
Old 01-18-2020, 04:21 PM

Put a Novak front fiber optic sight in there and be done with it.
Old 01-18-2020, 06:16 PM

I think Ruger went to metal sights on the SR 1911 CMD in recognition of the problem.
Best,
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2020, 09:01 AM

They changed to the improved front sight across the their 1911 line.
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmkivseries70 View Post
I think Ruger went to metal sights on the SR 1911 CMD in recognition of the problem.
Best,
Rob
Uhhh yeah the SR1911's front sight has always been metal. I still broke two of them. Sounds like maybe they've switched to a higher quality part??
Old 02-11-2020, 10:57 AM

@KAS300
Good Day,
How long ago did you break the two sights, I wonder if it was faulty MIM work?
Best,
Rob
Old 02-16-2020, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrrifleman View Post
I recently took possession of my long awaited SR1911CMD. While waiting for the permits to come in, I was diligently perusing the forums for information about the SR1911CMD. It would seem that this version's Achilles heel is the front sight. My SR1911CMD would be my first line CCW and IDPA-style pistol.

Having been a service rifle competitor for too many years, I have learned to carry some basic tools and parts in my travels. In all honesty, the last thing I would want to do while either competing or carrying, is to take my first line pistol out of service due to a broken front sight. I would have no problems fitting and replacing a sight in the field. Might Ruger CS provide a spare front sight on request for field repairs, or would they require the slide be returned for sight replacement?

Thanks in advance for your opinions!
I thought Ruger had corrected this problem years ago.
I got my SR1911 in 2012 and at 500 rounds my front sight fell off.

I considered sending it back to Ruger under warranty but the better solution was to put Novak Night sights on it.
It's been fine ever since
Old Yesterday, 04:14 PM

I bought a couple SR1911s in the fall of 2012 for $599 each. A LGS had them on their fall hunting sale. Anyway I read about all the front sights breaking off on the intergoogle. I bought a couple new front sights off the Ruger website for about $6.50 each thinking I might well see the problems. I kept the SR1911 that I could shoot better and traded the other one off around 2016. Both had over 1000 rounds through them at least and the front sights were still fine. I would have more rounds through the remaining SR1911 but bought a SR1911-CMD in early 2013 and it is lovely. It has over 2K rounds through it and is still fine.