1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-19-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Rogers View Post
Agreed Yeti! And as you can see how I pruned your quote I have no issues with any but the “positive” inference and a crisp trigger feel. In the past a lot of confusing trigger lore has been repeated and claimed as fact...like full hammer hook contact
Joe
Understood there! Attempted a "simple" explanation.
Negative engagement (as early GI) could also qualify in the "crisp" category and be completely safe....when done properly.

NRA Life Member
RSO
Old 01-19-2020, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Agreed Yeti! And as you can see how I pruned your quote I have no issues with any but the “positive” inference and a crisp trigger feel. In the past a lot of confusing trigger lore has been repeated and claimed as fact...like full hammer hook contact
Joe
In my early days of 1911 fiddlin' (pre internet, dinosaurs still about, OK early 70's) I tried to do trigger jobs that way.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:26 PM

Bet it was a struggle back then BBBBill . You have been poking around 1911 innards a while!
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2020, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBBill View Post

A long rolling break or a very crisp break can be had with a TR sear. All else being equal, it is all about the length of the hammer hooks, length (I prefer to call it width) of the sear primary, and amount of secondary.
As a highmaster bullseye shooter I agree with KC and BBBBill. The feel of a roll is controlled by the length of the hammer hooks (with proper fitting).
I remember when Chuck posted the first picture of his CAD drawing, the light came on. I made a TR fixture and stoned a sear without a secondary and installed an old junk hammer that had long hooks on it (long roll). I then shot a few T&R targets, then stopped to pull the hammer out and stone the hooks down in .001" increments. Went down to .012" height (very crisp). Fired hundreds of BE rounds (750-800fps) and never had a double.
I like my hooks at .016" with no secondary on the sear.
My .02
Old 01-20-2020, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Bet it was a struggle back then BBBBill . You have been poking around 1911 innards a while!
Joe
Young and stupid. Had no idea what I was doing.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat9 View Post
BTW, why do bullseye shooters like and not other shooters?
BE is about accuracy, more than speed. It is hard to anticipate the exact moment the sear will break with a rolling trigger, than with a crisp trigger. Anticipation is the enemy of the "surprise break". Hence a rolling trigger makes it possible to smoothly squeeze the trigger as a "process", rather than break it as distinct event. Bottom line, a rolling trigger reduces the tendency to flinch and to pull the slights off the target with increasing trigger pressure. It encourages a good follow through by making it part of the process.

A short rolling trigger can be a good thing; even though it feels a bit odd. Too long a roll and fatigue will set in, long before you drop the hammer. Then you could be tempted to speed things up by mashing the trigger.

Last edited by subscriber; 01-20-2020 at 10:47 AM.