1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-16-2020, 04:44 PM

Stats are In: A record setting 3,957 firearms seized by TSA in 2017

https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2018/01/29/...iscovered-2017

Two Florida Airports and three Texas Airports in the top ten!!!!

Top 10 Airports For Firearm Discoveries In 2017:
  • Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL): 245 (222 Loaded)
  • Dallas/Fort Worth International (DFW): 211 (165 Loaded)
  • George Bush Intercontinental Airport - Houston (IAH): 142 (124 Loaded)
  • Denver International (DEN): 118 (102 Loaded)
  • Phoenix Sky Harbor International (PHX): 115 (109 Loaded)
  • Tampa International (TPA): 97 (90 Loaded)
  • Orlando International Airport (MCO): 94 (82 Loaded)
  • Dallas Love Field (DAL): 93 (81 Loaded)
  • Nashville International (BNA): 89 (71 Loaded)
  • SeattleĖTacoma International Airport (SEA): 75 (60 Loaded)

Old 01-16-2020, 04:49 PM

I'm interested in the root cause. What do we attribute this to? Stupidity at epidemic levels? Wanton, over-prescription of Ambien? Global warming?

I'd be inclined to blame stupidity, unless/until persuaded otherwise. That's a whole lot of folks 'forgetting' that they're walking around with a loaded firearm in a bag!!!!

Last edited by havanajim; 01-16-2020 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by havanajim View Post
I'm interested in the root cause. What do we attribute this to? Stupidity at epidemic levers? Wanton, over-prescription of Ambien? Global warming?

I'd be inclined to blame stupidity, unless/until persuaded otherwise. That's a whole lot of folks 'forgetting' that they're walking around with a loaded firearm in a bag!!!! [IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.1911forum.com/images/smilies/hrm.gif[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.1911forum.com/images/smilies/hrm.gif[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.1911forum.com/images/smilies/hrm.gif[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.1911forum.com/images/smilies/hrm.gif[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.1911forum.com/images/smilies/hrm.gif[/IMG]
Global warming!
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2020, 06:11 PM

The Texas seizures must have been non LTC holders. That's supposed to be just a "go back and change" moment now with no criminal persecution.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2020, 06:35 PM

I used to work at an airport. You want to see stupid people? Go to an airport.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:37 PM

Not only did they forget that they had a gun, but the people ahead of them getting searched did not remind them.

At least those that got caught.

I bet many more were in the line when they suddenly thought "OH CRAP!" and beat feet back to their car to ditch the gat.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:38 PM

drail------- You mean go anywhere there are people.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
Not only did they forget that they had a gun, but the people ahead of them getting searched did not remind them.

At least those that got caught.

I bet many more were in the line when they suddenly thought "OH CRAP!" and beat feet back to their car to ditch the gat.
Prob some of the same who forget their wallets......
Old 01-17-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drail View Post
I used to work at an airport. You want to see stupid people? Go to an airport.
Or a boat ramp...
Old 01-17-2020, 10:32 AM

Yup, boat ramps can be HIGHLY entertaining also. The absolute best is when guys let their wives back the trailer down the ramp. Good lord........
Old 01-17-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by havanajim View Post
I'm interested in the root cause. What do we attribute this to? Stupidity at epidemic levels? Wanton, over-prescription of Ambien? Global warming?

I'd be inclined to blame stupidity, unless/until persuaded otherwise. That's a whole lot of folks 'forgetting' that they're walking around with a loaded firearm in a bag!!!!
Stupidity would probably cover the biggest portion of them. A friend of mine who lives in Oklahoma is one of those 3,957. In his case he put a handgun in his back pack for a hike. In like a side pocket. Forgot it was there and then decided to use it as a carry on some time later......uh,oh. He said the TSA were actually quite pleasant and professional. They confiscated the firearm and issued a citation. After the citation was paid he got his handgun back. I forget what the face value was of the citation. It was pretty steep. But he paid it early which garnered a discount. A big one. Now had it been at JFK in New York, he probably would have been treated differently.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:43 PM

I remember a time when anyone could carry a concealed pistol onto a plane - and no one cared. This whole stand in line and be searched business IS NOT preventing any hijackings and it clearly violates the 4th Amendment. I never thought I would live to see the day when Americans would happily surrender their rights without any fight just because the Govt. told them they would be safer if they were stripped of their basic rights. It makes me sick.
Old 01-17-2020, 02:02 PM

These incidents are just more fodder for the gun controllers. Remember if you allow everyone to carry on a plane that includes everyone with bad intentions. If everyone was armed on the Sep 11 flights would the results have been different? Good question.
Old 01-17-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drail View Post
I remember a time when anyone could carry a concealed pistol onto a plane - and no one cared. This whole stand in line and be searched business IS NOT preventing any hijackings and it clearly violates the 4th Amendment. I never thought I would live to see the day when Americans would happily surrender their rights without any fight just because the Govt. told them they would be safer if they were stripped of their basic rights. It makes me sick.
And it's downhill from here. That's the truly sobering thought. When you consider what we've surrendered in return for nothing over the decades, you start to realize just how far we've drifted away from what made this nation a unique standout in the ever-depressing history of man.
Old 01-17-2020, 02:50 PM

This is Trump’s fault...not sure how...but I am sure of it...(notice my oxymoron there).

Notice that there are no CA airports...could be several reasons...

We have been neutered already...

The consequences here are death...or worse...

The TSA here is so lame they couldn’t count their own balls more than once and get the same number each time....

Evil gun owner’s are SO conscience on their strictly limited rights...that they actually are careful about where they take them....

There are 4 people in the entire state with a CCW...and they take a train...or horse...
Old 01-17-2020, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkmac View Post
These incidents are just more fodder for the gun controllers. Remember if you allow everyone to carry on a plane that includes everyone with bad intentions. If everyone was armed on the Sep 11 flights would the results have been different? Good question.
The fact that 3957 people had firearms on them, and had them confiscated without a violent incident proves that legally armed people generally do not have any nefarious intent... maybe forgetfulness, but no criminal intent.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:01 PM

But criminal intent does not need to be proved - only suggested.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:23 PM

drail------- Between 1968 & 1972 one hundred and thirty American planes were hijacked.

130 in just 4 years!

Then the airport metal detector slowed that crap down in a hurry.

And now, because of the current incredibly invasive and annoying security measures, airlines are not the "Soft Targets" they were before 9/11.

Example: There were 37 hijackings in 2001. But since the increased screening methods starting after 9/11 there has never been that many in ANY year. And in two years (2015 & 2017) there were ZERO.

"not preventing any hijackings?" ----------- No way, Man. That is very incorrect. Sorry. They are clearly very much preventing hijackings. From 37 to a just a few, if any at all.

Meanwhile, terrorist attacks--- on OTHER targets-- continue worldwide.

Yes, this rooting in your bags, shoe removal, boob-cams & such are a drag. But clearly they are working.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:49 PM

"Seized" doesn't tell me a whole lot. That so many were listed as "unloaded" suggests they were taken from baggage. Considering how customer-unfriendly the airline/TSA/gun paperwork is, I'd bet some large percentage were "paperwork violations."

Some of the rest, I'd bet were "being in the wrong part of the airport while carrying." I've been in places that funneled you through to non-obvious checkpoints there was no easy way to turn back from.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRX302 View Post
"Seized" doesn't tell me a whole lot. That so many were listed as "unloaded" suggests they were taken from baggage. Considering how customer-unfriendly the airline/TSA/gun paperwork is, I'd bet some large percentage were "paperwork violations."
I have flown many times with firearms. Not once was there any hassle or paperwork involved. Its actually quite easy and painless. Unloaded and Locked in a hard sided case and verbally declared at check in. Maximum of 11 lbs of ammo. Thats it. Some airports request you accompany the case to the screening area, but once its x-rayed your done. Not once have I encountered a TSA agent that was not courteous and polite. Of course I have never flown out of NYC, LA or Chicago, they may be differant.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flechero View Post
Or a boat ramp...
I cant stand it!
Itís always worth it to get a camping spot close to the ramp. Over the course of the weekend you will usually see someone that forgets to undo the trailer tie downs and the plug is out. Seeing a boat bobbing around with the trailer attached is priceless. Couple that with Drailís example of the wife driving, the man screaming, her punching the gas and ramming into the boulders lining the ramp is priceless. This is why beer was invented!!
Old 01-18-2020, 05:35 PM

Those people weren't carrying guns as weapons, they were carrying them as good luck charms.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:06 PM

I feel much safer now.

Not really.

When they say "seized," does that mean they are held and then eventually returned to their owners, or taken permanently with no recompense?
Old 01-20-2020, 07:14 AM

That is usually a tactic used in California. Seize the guns, destroy them and say you canít find them. No compensation. As for the TSA, thatís a good question.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:01 AM

It is often correctly noted that NOBODY ever went broke under-estimating the intelligence of the 'average' American. lol

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln