can I change grips? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-16-2020, 08:05 AM

can I change grips?

I was just going to send a PM to Descartian who seems to know more about STI guns than anyone on the forum, but thought maybe others could benefit from the response. So...

I am large framed and have big hands. I have been eyeing the new Stacatto C2. I like pistols with grips that are large and thought.... can I order a C2 and then put a P grip frame on it so the grip handle is longer? Both are double stack guns and it seems on the surface that it would be possible? Kind of a Colt combat commander gun.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:55 AM

Yes you can. You can swap out grips on any of the double stack guns. Once you have done it a couple times and you are proficient with taking down a 1911 it will take 5 minutes or so.

Now on the new Staccato 2011 single stacks you can not swap out the grips without voiding the warranty. I believe they use an adhesive to set that grip.
Old 01-16-2020, 02:04 PM

Yes, the plastic grips are pretty easy, you will probably need a different main spring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2020, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Excerpt from STI's warranty:
"This limited warranty is void if any of the following occur.

1) The pistol has been misused or damaged by the user or accident.

2) The pistol has not been properly maintained as described in the product manual.

3) The pistol grip has been modified, changed, or removed/replaced by anyone other than an STI Factory Certified Gunsmith. Use of a metal grip expressly voids the warranty.

4) The pistol has been altered or modified in any way including cosmetic alterations.

5) The pistol has been used for the firing of remanufactured, reloaded, or hand loaded ammunition (excluding Open guns manufactured specifically for major power factor ammunition)."

I would say from reading that that changing grips would void the warranty.
http://www.1911store.com
STI Full Line Stocking Dealer, 1911 parts, and custom pistols
Old 01-17-2020, 07:34 AM

Thank you gentlemen.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:22 PM

Since I was considering the same, how do we go about finding someone authorized by STI to make the swap? Iím in Ft Knox KY and tried to google it to no luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2020, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Probably best to talk to STI. I don't know what an "STI Factory Certified Gunsmith" is or if there is even such a thing. They will probably want you to return it to the factory, or they may just mean it is for the Gen 2 grips. I would get STI to clarify it for you.
http://www.1911store.com
STI Full Line Stocking Dealer, 1911 parts, and custom pistols
Old 01-17-2020, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazos Custom Gunworks View Post
Probably best to talk to STI. I don't know what an "STI Factory Certified Gunsmith" is or if there is even such a thing. They will probably want you to return it to the factory, or they may just mean it is for the Gen 2 grips. I would get STI to clarify it for you.

Just messaged Buck, will let you guys know what he says

Old 01-18-2020, 08:06 AM

Thank you adain. I am holding my order for two new pistols until I hear back. With their custom shop closed I am not sure how that will work. Wonder if I could order the C2 with the P grip to start?
Old 01-18-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM813 View Post
Thank you adain. I am holding my order for two new pistols until I hear back. With their custom shop closed I am not sure how that will work. Wonder if I could order the C2 with the P grip to start?

Buck told me to call Ricky in the warranty department next week about it. Iíll follow up again after I speak with him

Old 01-18-2020, 12:35 PM

Or just put the original grip back on if you have to send it in...
Old 01-18-2020, 05:05 PM

Wait, so I could've gotten the C2 grip eventually and installed it on my P?
I didn't have to buy a whole new C2 gun?

lol
Old 01-19-2020, 05:46 AM

Changing grips on an STI 2011....

As long as the owner of an STI 2011 keeps the original grips and doesn't modify them, should they decide to use a different STI 2011 grip, I seriously doubt there is any way STI techs would know if someone returned their gun for a warranty issue if they put the original grip back on the gun...Ö

I have a shooting buddy that slightly modified the grip on his STI 2011 Guardian...Ö The slide cracked at the front lower area of the ejection port on the right side of the slide..... I spoke with him the other day, and STI is sending him a brand new STI 2011 Guardian gun......IMHO, that is excellent customer service!
Old 01-29-2020, 07:51 AM

I got an email from Buck yesterday that said I could get the C2 from the factory with the "P" grip on it. I filled out the order form last night as he directed and mailed it this morning on my way to work.

It should be a great off duty carry gun.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:38 AM

Correction on my post #13....

STI did not send my shooting buddy a new STI 2011 Guardian gun since they no longer make them....they sent him their new STI 2011 Staccato C-2 9mm which is similar in size, to replace his older STI Guardian with the cracked slide. He was told it was the 4th one made off the assembly line.....

We have since test fired the gun, and two out of his original 4 mags had issues, but otherwise the gun shot great....I later tweaked the mags, and since then he shot his pistol in the Compact Carry division at a local IDPA match, and the gun worked great with all magazines.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazos Custom Gunworks View Post
Excerpt from STI's warranty:
"This limited warranty is void if any of the following occur.

1) The pistol has been misused or damaged by the user or accident.

2) The pistol has not been properly maintained as described in the product manual.

3) The pistol grip has been modified, changed, or removed/replaced by anyone other than an STI Factory Certified Gunsmith. Use of a metal grip expressly voids the warranty.

4) The pistol has been altered or modified in any way including cosmetic alterations.

5) The pistol has been used for the firing of remanufactured, reloaded, or hand loaded ammunition (excluding Open guns manufactured specifically for major power factor ammunition)."

I would say from reading that that changing grips would void the warranty.
I never noticed that, but have to agree. Also, from threads I have seen, swapping grips is more than a 5 minute task.

If I ever reach the point I just have to change the grips, I guess I'll just have to drive the 15 miles to the factory.
Colt Marine CQB (USMC) 1911, Colt XSE 1911, 1947 Colt Government Model
Glock 19, Glock 26, Walther Q5, CZ Shadow 2, STI DVC Carry, Dirty Harry S&W M29-2
Old 02-07-2020, 05:38 PM

can I change grips?

Bought a Staccato C last year and it is one of my best shooting guns. I recently watched a video from Shot Show 2020 which detailed the new Staccato offerings.

My question about grips is whether the C2 double stack grip can installed in place of the single stack grip on the C? And adding a new trigger would double the rounds.

Feasible?
Old 02-07-2020, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsgramps View Post
My question about grips is whether the C2 double stack grip can installed in place of the single stack grip on the C? And adding a new trigger would double the rounds.

Feasible?
I'm not sure but it doesn't look like the single stack grips have the same front screw/mount as the double's, but I haven't seen one in person.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:00 AM

They are not the same screw pattern and cannot be swapped out.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:47 AM

I'd love to swap my tree bark for a c2 grip