Carrying condition question - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-14-2020, 11:10 PM

Carrying condition question

Not to beat a dead horse but curious to which you guys/gals carry when concealed. I carry condition 1. Locked and cocked. I know some that carry condition 0. Cocked and safety off. (basically same as carrying a g gun.). I've met one that carries condition 2
Old 01-15-2020, 07:17 AM

Cocked with the safety off seems like a really bad idea. The 1911 was designed to be carried in condition 1, their are 2 safeties and a trigger to pull before it will fire. Actually, it's my understanding that the grip safety wasn't in the original design and was added per the militaries request. At one time a lot of people would pin the grip safety including law enforcement people. I've seen several Texas Ranger 1911s that had the gripe safety pinned.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:02 AM

The 1911 was NOT "designed" to be carried in Cond 1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2020, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glider View Post
Cocked with the safety off seems like a really bad idea. The 1911 was designed to be carried in condition 1, their are 2 safeties and a trigger to pull before it will fire. Actually, it's my understanding that the grip safety wasn't in the original design and was added per the militaries request. At one time a lot of people would pin the grip safety including law enforcement people. I've seen several Texas Ranger 1911s that had the gripe safety pinned.
. I agree that condition 0 is a bad idea even with a holster retention strap between hammer and firing pin. There's still a chance of AD while unholstering personally I carry condition 1 and nobody will convince me to carry otherwise. Seems I read somewhere that military standard was condition 1 as well. But I'm not 100% sure. Honestly for self defense any other condition is either unsafe or useless. Who really has time to rack a round into the chamber in a split second? Because you don't know there is a situation until there is a situation! I realize this is a Chevy/Ford/dodge type of debate. Everyone has their own opinion.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drail View Post
I dont think he meant literally that JMB had the pre thought of carrying it in any particular condition before the gun was designed. I think he likely meant that this was the "practical" way or the logical way to carry for SD. After all I know people who carry semi's with a full mag but empty chamber. Pointless to me, but I'm just glad I'm not depending on them for MY protection. My response to that situation is this "carrying an empty chamber with intention of loading in an emergency successfuly is the same as saying you don't wear your seatbelt because you can fasten it before a collision". But to each their own. A 1911 in condition 1 is safer than carrying say a Glock with one in the pipe. The only safety on a Glock is the trigger. Although if I was carrying my g17 , one in the pipe is how I'd carry.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:21 AM

Typically on this forum, there are very few Condition 0 folks, most are Condition 1, there is a surprisingly large group of Condition 2 users, and a few use Condition 3.

When holstered, my 1911 is normally in Condition 1. Off body, my 1911 is normally in Condition 3.

Here's a video covering Condition 1, 2, and 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2-1IZk1A28
Old 01-15-2020, 10:28 AM

Many years ago I read an article in a gun magazine about Detonics. The writer went to the factory, talked about the manufacturing quality, etc.

He also interviewed... I think it was two guys who started the company. Anyway... they explained that the distinctive cut on the top of the slide was to make it easier to wipe your thumb in that cutout area on the way to catch & cock the hammer. I thought it was interesting that the Detonics was designed for condition 2 carry.
Attached Thumbnails
detonics.jpg  
Old 01-15-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeuu View Post
Many years ago I read an article in a gun magazine about Detonics. The writer went to the factory, talked about the manufacturing quality, etc.

He also interviewed... I think it was two guys who started the company. Anyway... they explained that the distinctive cut on the top of the slide was to make it easier to wipe your thumb in that cutout area on the way to catch & cock the hammer. I thought it was interesting that the Detonics was designed for condition 2 carry.
. But with the extended beaver tail and commander hammer it's just easier for me to carry condition 1.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:13 AM

In the mid 60s I was an Army MP Dog handler. We were required to carry our 1911s loaded magazine in, chamber empty, hammer down. We were on a missle site security. When the sun went down & the brass left, I went cond. 1.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:40 PM

One in the chamber and safety on if it has one.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:11 PM
1911 Aficionado

If the gun is on my person, condition one.
Not on me, but within reach, condition two.
I don't think anything requiring two hands is a "ready" condition.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:53 PM

Condition 1 at all times except if I already had it out with trouble foreseen or possible in the very near future. Then it's condition 0.
Old 01-15-2020, 03:14 PM

For me, my 1911 and p938 are always condition 1, no deviations. If it's not being cleaned or shot, it's got one in the pipe and safety on.

The Henry is one in the pipe hammer down (it's cool, it's got some crazy thign on the hammer so it can't hit the pin unless the trigger's being held)

Haven't decided how I'll store the Garand when it arrives. Probably one in the pipe, safety on

Condition Zero (one in the pipe, cocked, safety off) sounds to me like a great chance to imitate Glock Leg with a 1911. Or a quick way to the front page and feeding the Leftist Communist vendetta on guns.
-----------------^--------------
Member NRA, GOA, SAF, VCDL, FL Carry

Last edited by Old Grey Hare; 01-15-2020 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Grey Hare View Post

The Henry is one in the pipe hammer down (it's cool, it's got some crazy thign on the hammer so it can't hit the pin unless the trigger's being held)

Haven't decided how I'll store the Garand when it arrives. Probably one in the pipe, safety on [IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.1911forum.com/images/smilies/biglaugh.gif[/IMG]
Most modern day Single actions have this feature. Except my ubertis. They are hammer mounted firing pins. 😁
Old 01-15-2020, 03:56 PM

This discussion reminds me of an old joke.

The Texas Rangers have long had an affinity for the 1911 pistol. As the story goes:

An elderly woman saw a Texas Ranger with a cocked & locked 1911 strapped to his hip. She approached him and, pointing to that cocked pistol, asked, "Isn't that dangerous?"

The Ranger replied, "Well, ma'am, I wouldn't carry the son-of-a-bitch if it wasn't dangerous."
Old 01-15-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Could you please elaborate on this for me? Please and Thank You.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:09 PM

My 1911 pistols are either in the gun safe and empty..............or they are out of the safe and loaded, cocked and safety engaged.

The ONLY exception to this is if I'm cleaning one.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:39 PM

I have seen Browning's personal 1911. It does not even have a thumb safety. He carried all of his semi auto pistols the same way men had been carrying revolvers for many years - with the hammer down (either fully down or on the half cock notch) and he would thumb the hammer back as he drew it. This was the accepted way to carry and draw a pistol. He believed that the hammer resting on half cock was perfectly safe. I agree. The Army Ordnance Board demanded a thumb safety be added mostly because they wanted the the gun safed and the slide locked so it could be reholstered hurriedly while trying to control a frightened horse. He gave the Army exactly what they wanted and he probably didn't really care one way or the other how they intended to carry it - he simply wanted to win the contract.

Last edited by drail; 01-15-2020 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:04 PM

SEARCH reveals all w/o having to beat the long dead horse.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because no one makes one in .46cal.--Me
The 9mm is a SD cartridge fit only for women and Europeans--Me
Old 01-15-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glider View Post
The really bad idea is trying to drop the hammer halfway towards a live round.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn6518 View Post
Not to beat a dead horse but...
And yet...
Old 01-15-2020, 07:40 PM

Do you think decocking a revolver with your thumb is a really bad idea?
Old 01-15-2020, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Do you think decocking a revolver with your thumb is a really bad idea?
no...but a revolver doesn't have an extended beaver tail, grip safety, and short "commander" hammer.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:36 PM

I have read many posts by ex-military security people who said that at the beginning of their security shift their 1911 was inspected and they were required to carry it in condition 3 with 5 rounds in the magazine. My question is why only 5 rounds? Were they allowed to carry extra magazines if they wanted to? What was the reasoning behind hamstringing their ability to repel intruders to whatever they were assigned to protect? Every time I saw one of those posts I was thinking that if it was me I would have a few extra fully loaded mags in my back pocket.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_B View Post
I have read many posts by ex-military security people who said that at the beginning of their security shift their 1911 was inspected and they were required to carry it in condition 3 with 5 rounds in the magazine. My question is why only 5 rounds? Were they allowed to carry extra magazines if they wanted to? What was the reasoning behind hamstringing their ability to repel intruders to whatever they were assigned to protect? Every time I saw one of those posts I was thinking that if it was me I would have a few extra fully loaded mags in my back pocket.
Most folks with military service would offer various explanations... The most concise has to do with the massive risk avoidance culture of the military. There was also the element of young folks in their teens and early 20s making bad decisions.

My own time, during the Clinton years, I recall standing temporary arms room guard duty in the middle of the night. We had a room with dozens of M16s, a few M60s and associated ordnance. I was handed an unloaded M16, no ammo and advised to yell real loud if someone tried to make entry.

On the morning of 9/11/01, a few police officers from my department were training at the state police academy located on a National Guard base. After the enormity of the event was understood, the officers were handed the police academy training shotguns and stood guard at the entrances to the base. There were zero contingency plans for how to provide security for the base, so someone took the initiative. One of the officers was a former Army infantryman, he just shook and his head and observed the shotguns probably would not have worked, but the weather was nice that day.

Military preparations seem to be mostly show and rarely much go.