Funny stuff we've seen or done shooting. - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-13-2020, 11:53 AM

Funny stuff we've seen or done shooting.

I'll start. For 20 years I shot NRA pistol bullseye. One thing comes to mind, we we're shooting a .45 match. We all got ready & the rangemaster gave the command with 5 rounds load. As the slides slammed forward something hit the dry ground 10' in front of the shooter on my left. He quickly swapped magazines, released the slide & something hit the ground & bounced 10' in front of him. This time I could see it was a ctg. The rangemaster called cease fire, clear & bench your weapons. We investigated by now some of us saw what had happened & were laughing. You see he had a very nice 1911 .38 special but was shooting his 1911 .45acp. He'd gotten his .38 special mags where his .45 mags should have been. When he released his .45 slide on a .38 special magazine, it launched a .38 special 10' down range!
No one was hurt, nothing was damaged. It took about 15 minutes for us, the other shooter included, to quit laughing & continue the match. 40 years later it still brings me a chuckle.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:01 PM

Yeah, similar one that had me feeling foolish just recently. I had three pistols at the range. Loaded my 1911 and when I chambered a round a loose round landed on the table, no round in the chamber. This was from a magazine that had been giving me trouble. Put the round back in the magazine and tried again with the same result. Stopped and really looked at the round. It was a .40 S&W! I had my 9, 40, & 45 at the range that day. The magazine would retain the .40 but when it went to chamber it would fly down the barrel and out the muzzle.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:11 PM

At the range I worked at there was a woodchuck / prairie dog type critter that was digging holes & tunnels out by the 150 yard frames. Causing them to lean.

One day after we closed we saw the bugger sitting upright on a short 4X4 post. A bit further than the targets, maybe 180 yards out.

Employee Ken quickly got out his Soviet Dragonov, sat at a bench & lined up while I watched through a spotting scope.

BOOM! ----------- he missed, causing the chuck to shift his position as he, presumably, heard the round pass. But he still stood there.

By now several of the straggler customers were watching through spotting & rifle scopes.

Round #2 BOOM! ------ A hit to the wood near the top of the post. The stump exploded like a banana peel, the chuck cartwheeling through the air. He landed, than ran away so fast he caused cartoon-like puffs of dust!

We all laughed for a long time. Fantastic!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2020, 12:35 PM

Not so much funny, but the most fun I've ever had at the range.

I was at the public range in Tuskegee National Forest and the only other people there was a group of four from nearby Auburn University. The easily recognized leader of the group was a female student. The other three were one young Chinese man and two young Chinese women. The leader had a 20 gauge pump shotgun as I remember.

I struck up a conversation and learned that the three were students from China who were soon to return home permanently. They had wanted to shoot a gun before they left, so the young lady had brought them to the range with her 20 gauge. I had with me several revolvers and 1911's and offered to let them shoot them. Instructing them and watching their joy at shooting was a priceless experience and the most satisfying range experience I have ever had.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:45 PM

Now for feeling foolish.

My wife and I were at her parent's house near Selma for Christmas. I had wandered off to the back side of their pasture to a large ditch which ran across it and which seemed to be a natural travel corridor for deer. In and on the sides of the ditch were many saplings rubbed bare of bark, more than I had ever seen in one place. The next morning I was set up there before daylight with my old Model 70 .30-06. I hunted until early afternoon with no sightings.

Back up at the house as I wandered in they were eating a late lunch. My father-in-law asked me where I had been hunting. When I told him, one of my nephews spoke up, "back there where granddaddy's goats ate all the bark off those little trees?"

"Yeah, I saw that" was all I ever said about it.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:12 PM

A few months ago I noticed there is a large hole torn diagonally through the roof joist and metal roof above bench #3 at my rifle club. Wish I could have been there to witness the foolishness that led to it.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:36 PM

A few years ago the club I belong to replaced the overhead baffles on the rifle range at considerable expense. About 3 months after the project was complete the board of directors was absolutely apoplectic about damage to the newly installed infrastructure. It appeared that someone had been shooting at the new baffles and laid in a nice group of .30 cal holes in one of them and the board was bound and determined to discover who the perpetrator was and to have them hung, flayed, tarred, feathered and run out of the club on a rail.

After much investigation, it turned out that one of our more senior members had come to the range with a new rifle and optic looking for a 200 yard zero. During the sight in, he was suffering much consternation as he wasn't on paper and no one could give him an idea of where on the range his rounds were impacting. After a dozen or so rounds down range, someone noticed a nice group in one of the overhead baffles. DOH! The board was still not happy, but were much more reasonable once they discovered the absence of malice.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:04 PM

Out with friends deer hunting on a public reserve. We didn't have stands, so we just had to sit/stand as we could. I was sitting under a tree, legs crossed in the tailor position. Down in the hollow, through the bushes, I could see two does walking with a buck behind. They were approaching a more open area, so I tried to quietly stand to get a better shot. My legs had gone to sleep, so halfway up I fell forward on my face. Needless to say the deer were gone. Never told my hunting friends. "Naw man, didn't see anything."
Old 01-14-2020, 03:50 PM

We were at an outdoor range doing our biannual M4 patrol rifle requalification. As we were getting ready to shoot, a wild turkey (Tom) started walking across the range down by our target stands. Everyone wanted to take him....but the range officer told everyone do not fire at the turkey. That Tom has no idea how lucky he was that day.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
At the range I worked at there was a woodchuck / prairie dog type critter that was digging holes & tunnels out by the 150 yard frames. Causing them to lean.

One day after we closed we saw the bugger sitting upright on a short 4X4 post. A bit further than the targets, maybe 180 yards out.

Employee Ken quickly got out his Soviet Dragonov, sat at a bench & lined up while I watched through a spotting scope.

BOOM! ----------- he missed, causing the chuck to shift his position as he, presumably, heard the round pass. But he still stood there.

By now several of the straggler customers were watching through spotting & rifle scopes.

Round #2 BOOM! ------ A hit to the wood near the top of the post. The stump exploded like a banana peel, the chuck cartwheeling through the air. He landed, than ran away so fast he caused cartoon-like puffs of dust!

We all laughed for a long time. Fantastic!
Reminds me of a story my buddy told me of a prank he used to do, living in a rural area. He said he used to take groundhogs that were dead and would prop them up in the field not too far off the road to entice some guy driving by to take shot. He said he got some pretty good laughs at the frustration some of the guys displayed... at their rifle.
Old 01-15-2020, 02:40 AM

Allowed a female range officer at an indoor range in Frisco, Texas to shoot my .500 Magnum. A small crowd gathered around. I loaded two rounds for her and let her fire the revolver, A THUNDEROUS boom (louder than normal, if you can imagine) concusses our ears as the gun throws her arms in the air, and (what I believe at the time to be) shrapnel rains down on all of us. I thought for sure I was going to see bloody stumps where her hands once were...however, the gun did NOT explode.

Somehow she double-tapped the two rounds so quickly it sounded like one giant burst, the second round went straight up into the light bar above the bay. The metal that came down all around us was spent casings (from all the previous shooters) that had collected over time on top of the light bar. A quarter-sized hole could be seen between the two spot lamps that lit the action area. My buddy's first comment was "Um, you guys dont have a second floor with offices...do you??" The answer was "No", but it still freaked me out.

I sold the revolver at a gun show shortly thereafter.

Last edited by Flight Medic; 01-15-2020 at 02:46 AM.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:26 AM

Similar experience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WobbleZone View Post
Not so much funny, but the most fun I've ever had at the range.

I was at the public range in Tuskegee National Forest and the only other people there was a group of four from nearby Auburn University. The easily recognized leader of the group was a female student. The other three were one young Chinese man and two young Chinese women. The leader had a 20 gauge pump shotgun as I remember.

I struck up a conversation and learned that the three were students from China who were soon to return home permanently. They had wanted to shoot a gun before they left, so the young lady had brought them to the range with her 20 gauge. I had with me several revolvers and 1911's and offered to let them shoot them. Instructing them and watching their joy at shooting was a priceless experience and the most satisfying range experience I have ever had.
As a Range Master and Instructor at a private range in SoCal almost every summer for several years in the 90's we got requests to do the same. Once a tour bus showed up with about 30 Asian "tourists" it was amazing. They had a "blast". Lots of photos of guns and targets for memories too!

To this day I have no idea what any of them said but the smiles were priceless!

All the best in 2020,

Last edited by jjfitch; 01-15-2020 at 09:02 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:53 AM

In the tourist shopping areas in Waikiki there are indoor ranges. Seems weird to have a range between Panda Express and a J Crew store but there they are.

Turns out they are situated in that area to serve the Japanese tourists who have never seen, much less fired, a gun before. Power on, my Tokyo friends!

On a side note I have a girl from Osaka as a tenant. Her friend was visiting a few weeks ago. I found out that neither girl had ever had Mexican food. So I took them to a real deal, legit Mex place of the awesome kind we have here in San Diego.

They loved EVERYTHING. Horchata, carne asada, rolled tacos, quesadillas, guac, hot sauce, the whole shebang.

They were taking selfies holding tacos & sending to friends. It was great. I'll post a pic later.

Introducing people to new things is fun. On both sides!
Old 01-15-2020, 11:05 AM

Taco girls.
Attached Thumbnails
tacos!.png  
Old 01-15-2020, 06:37 PM

A couple of friends of mine ran a public shooting range for an extended period.

One told the story of several muzzle loaders shooting and shooting the breeze. One was using a 50 cal cleaning rod to load. He loaded his rifle and turned around and shot the breeze a while. He then turned around and prepared to fire. Before my friend could stop him he touched it off with the loading rod still in the barrel. The rod went down range end over end for many yards and he went rolling backwards for several yards. Took some convincing to prove what he had done.

The other time two guys showed up to shoot their .22's. The gal running the range noticed she could only see one of them. She found the other one down range pointing out where the first one's hits were landing. Between shots of course. Took some convincing that wasn't a good idea.

ETA - Forgot what may be the best.

I watched an old friend of mine shoot a course of fire at the USPSA Nationals. He forgot to put on his ears first. The RO started the stage and he stood up catching the chair he was sitting in on one or more of his spare mags. First shot he noticed the lack of ear muffs and his extra baggage. Adding the ears and clearing the baggage was near priceless. To his credit he managed to do it all safely.

Last edited by 1MoreFord; 01-15-2020 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:47 PM

We sometimes had guys reaching forward of the line, during live fire, to get their brass.

Not funny, but certainly surprising to see.

We also had someone's dog get out of his truck and walk out to the target line. Some guys, deep in their scopes & sight pictures kept firing and they had to be jostled out of their "zone" to be alerted to the dog.

The dog having no clue to the danger, of course.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:53 AM

was at an outdoor range that had old sodium vapor lights set on poles 30 or 40 feet in the air. I think there were 4 in total, 2 on each side maybe 50 feet from the firing line. The range had been converted from an old driving range. Was there with a buddy that had an old SKS. He was using some old surplus ammo and one round failed to fire. He put the stock on the ground and attempted to work the action to eject the still live round. Instead of ejecting, the damn thing went off and took out one of those lights. Not sure if anyone has ever been around one of those when they explode but let me tell you, it is one hell of a show. People were diving for cover and yelling. Fortunately, the range master had been right behind us and realized that while not the best way to try to eject the round, my buddy's actions weren't intentional. That happened maybe 25 years ago and I still laugh to this day when I think about the crowd's reaction.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:08 PM

Was at an indoor range shooting with my cousin. He wanted to try the red dot on my CZ. Explained to him about the red dot and how to aim. Don’t know what the heck he was aiming at but he fires. Suddenly, half a fluorescent tube comes crashing from the ceiling. We were puzzled as to how that happened considering the lights are behind baffles. The RO comes over with a smile to check on everything. She was cool about it, but we couldn’t figure out how he hit a light behind a baffle. Just then the other half of the light comes crashing down. Turns out he hit the carrier and fortunately it ricocheted up towards the light behind the baffle. We apologized. She did tell us they had someone there who was shooting ashotgun for the first time and took out a carrier. They had to shut the range down.

Last edited by jmr986; 01-19-2020 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:39 PM

Not exactly shooting, but it was the opening day of bow (deer) season ~30 years ago. I had stayed up WAY too late the night before paying cards with friends. About 9am I was sleepy so I climbed down from my tree stand and went to sleep sitting on the ground, leaned back against the tree. A short while later I was woke by a 10 point Buck snorting, and pawing the ground ~5 yards in front of me. He stood there watching while I picked up my bow, nocked an arrow, pulled back and shot him right in the center of the neck. He jumped a little then ran about 10 yards before falling over dead. That's the biggest deer I've ever killed. I snore, I guess he was curious about the noise I was making.
I thought this was a gun forum. The rules read "This sub-forum is for general gun-related discussion only. No political commentary or other off-topic discussions are allowed, nor subjects that barely have anything to do with guns or shooting. The only section where off-topic discussion is currently allowed is in the special sub-forum created for site supporters.
Old 01-19-2020, 05:28 PM

Funny

Entertaining posts. Thank you.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:27 PM

A few years ago while shooting in the Center Fire match of a monthly Bullseye competition, I finished the second string of Timed Fire early and had a few seconds to look around. I got lucky in looking at a fellow competitor that was shooting a 32 S&W Long Euro pistol that had a red dot mounted on top. 32 target wadcutters are funny to hear as they sound like all primer and no powder.

As the string of fire is finishing up (5 shots, 20 seconds) the competitor fires his last shot and as the bolt comes forward from ejecting the empty case the top of the pistol, red dot and all, goes sailing forward in a nice arc forward of the firing line benches about five or six feet to land in the grass, leaving the shooter holding the anatomical grip and frame.

The Match Director saw this occur too and got on the PA, in a very calm voice:

"_______, are you going to call for an alibi?"

Americans shoot National Match Courses
Old 01-19-2020, 09:10 PM

Not super hilarious but I remember a friend and I went shooting at an indoor range and I was on the lane just to his right. He decided it was time he pulled out his Dersert Eagle in 50 AE.
As soon as he starts firing that beast his brass flys up and over our dividers and that bid ejected 50 case hits me right at the top middle of my skull. Itís not that I donít have a hard head but I had smoked it earlier on a car hood that I was doing work on. So, that happens 3 times in a row right in the same sand sore spot on my head. They felt like large rocks. I stopped him and told him so he moved to the left of his lane and that seemed to help. I brought up my gun and right as I have taken up the tiny bit of slack on my 1911 a steaming hot 50 empty lands between the bow of my shooting glasses and my left temple. In the couple rounds I fired I realized it was really hot. Left a perfect casing mark straight up and down on my left temple for over a week. He thought it was funny, I did too but my head had decided we should switch lanes.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:22 PM

Some funny stories. Johnny I learned you cannot ignore a hot .45 case down your neck, even in rapid fire. I tied a bandana around my neck even when temps were near 100 deg.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Vaccaro View Post
Some funny stories. Johnny I learned you cannot ignore a hot .45 case down your neck, even in rapid fire. I tied a bandana around my neck even when temps were near 100 deg.

Girls with a lot of cleavage showing on the shooting line.
It would be funny, except that pistol waves EVERYwhere...
Old 01-20-2020, 02:11 AM

Funny to listen to...

In 1974 I got out of the Navy and after less then a month at home in Ohio I moved back to San Francisco; the real San Francisco; not the modern day mess it is now.

Anyway about six of us decided to head to Coyote Point Fun Range, ran by San Mateo County. Going to the Range Shack to buy some more 9MM ammo a young black kid was listening to the Range Officers explain why he couldn’t use his Saturday Night Sepcial on the range. They said if he dropped it the barrel my bend and the gun blow up. Although what was said next was funny to hear but it was a bit cruel. One Range Officer suggested that he save some money, go back to the street corner where he bought the gun and ask for his money back. Then they told him to go to a gun shop and buy a real gun! In fairness the kid’s gun looked like a cheap starter gun.

The other thing, same day, same range; was when 4 security guards pulled a .44 Magnum out of the bag, and started to load it. Putting on his hearing protection, one range officer moved to stop him from shooting the .44 MAGNUM. Yes Dirty Harry had been playing in the theaters. Before he got there to say no magnums allowed when the range was crowded, the shooter for 2 rounds off. Tapping the shooter on the shoulder as he w as shaking his head no and pointing to the No Magnum Shooting if crowded the guy put his S&W Model 29 away!