STI Trojan 9mm buy or pass - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-08-2020, 12:00 AM

STI Trojan 9mm buy or pass

LGS has a NIB STI Trojan 9mm. Is $1,200 a good/fair price for this discontinued model. Fit and finish are excellent. I have a Dan Wesson Discretion in 9mm and really like Dan Wessonís as well. Trying to decide between the STI Trojan or just get another Dan Wesson.
Old 01-08-2020, 04:27 AM

Buy, especially if it's of a recent non billboard run.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:38 AM

I have both, IMHO there is no contest, get the STI. Both run great but the STI is more accurate and STI customer service is much better than DW. YMMV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2020, 08:26 AM

Trojans are good, well-made & unavailable new. Buy it, try it and resell if you don't like it.
STI singlestacks in 95%+ condition will become harder to find over the years. Pricing seems fair.

NRA Life Member
RSO
Old 01-08-2020, 10:50 AM

Thanks for all the great input. I have been looking for a New 1911 in 9mm for a few months now and this STI Trojan seems to be the best Bang for the Buck in the $1,000 to $1,400 range.
Old 01-08-2020, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litespeedaudio View Post
Thanks for all the great input. I have been looking for a New 1911 in 9mm for a few months now and this STI Trojan seems to be the best Bang for the Buck in the $1,000 to $1,400 range.
I would STRONGLY disagree on this particular STI. First STI is known for their 2011s, that's why their product line is mostly 2011 pistols. When it comes to 2011s, go with STI hands down. But that Trojan was made using a frame from the Phillipeans. It is an older model before STI made their own frames. There frame is fine, basically what you would find on a Rock Island Arms pistol.

In the $1K to $1.5K range in the "1911" world (not 2011 world), there is no better value than DW. There just isn't. You are getting basically a semi-custom 1911 for the price of a production 1911. The Vigil line is hands down the best value in the 1911 world and can be had for $1K or a little less new. I would buy a Vigil instead the Trojan and not think twice.

Heck I just bought 2 brand new STIs and I buying a third right now. But they are 2011s. If I was looking for a sub $1500 1911, DW all day and every day.

On the Customer Service note, DW is truly excellent. They have always been attentive to my needs and response has always been instant. Right now STI is shuffling things up. They just closed their Custom Shop and moved everyone into production. In my recent experiences their CS is NOT GOOD at all. No responses to emails, and poor communication in general.

Last edited by Harrish; 01-08-2020 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:10 PM

Yes, STI is all about the 2011 (exclusively now) & I'm also a big 2011 fan.
The SPARTAN was the Armscor -Philippines contract production entry level STI. To my knowledge, the vast majority of Trojans were made in Georgetown, TX and were an exceptional value for a good quality 1911. Not the only option, but certainly one of many.

NRA Life Member
RSO
Old 01-08-2020, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrish View Post
I would STRONGLY disagree on this particular STI. First STI is known for their 2011s, that's why their product line is mostly 2011 pistols. When it comes to 2011s, go with STI hands down. But that Trojan was made using a frame from the Phillipeans. It is an older model before STI made their own frames. There frame is fine, basically what you would find on a Rock Island Arms pistol.

In the $1K to $1.5K range in the "1911" world (not 2011 world), there is no better value than DW. There just isn't. You are getting basically a semi-custom 1911 for the price of a production 1911. The Vigil line is hands down the best value in the 1911 world and can be had for $1K or a little less new. I would buy a Vigil instead the Trojan and not think twice.

Heck I just bought 2 brand new STIs and I buying a third right now. But they are 2011s. If I was looking for a sub $1500 1911, DW all day and every day.

On the Customer Service note, DW is truly excellent. They have always been attentive to my needs and response has always been instant. Right now STI is shuffling things up. They just closed their Custom Shop and moved everyone into production. In my recent experiences their CS is NOT GOOD at all. No responses to emails, and poor communication in general.
Harrish, you are incorrect on this. The Spartan was the Philippine/Armscore made gun that was finished at the Georgetown factory. It was not marketed as anything else.

And yes most people know STI for their 2011ís BUT they made excellent 1911ís and the Trojan absolutely dominated the single stack competition world. They are the Main/Title sponsor of the USPSA single stack division. They have not left the single stack market but have reentered with a modular frame single stack marketed under the 2011 line.

I have 8 or 9 single stack STIís and they are great guns. I recently picked up a Wilson Combat Sentinel and I canít understand the 2x-3x price difference as thereís no difference in quality.

At that price I would definitely pick up that Trojan, there are a lot of competitors buying them up since they are discontinued. Youíll be very happy with your purchase.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:36 PM

The Trojan was a great model because STI was building 1911s in 9mm correctly long before almost anyone else was, and they were accurate in addition to being reliable.

Some big names still don't build 9mm 1911s correctly, and fewer still build them to be accurate.

Someone will always come out of the woodwork to buy a Trojan; can't say that about every 9mm 1911.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:18 AM

I own two Trojans, a 9mm & a 45, both are 100% reliable and very accurate. When I call STI, I am always speaking to a person within a minute. I called recently because I had lost the plastic take down spacer for my 2011 recoil-master guide rod; they not only sent me the spacer, but also sent a $70 Dawson tool-less guide rod at no charge. All STI guns are warrantied for life, regardless of the owner. The only negative I can say about them is that I'm not fond of the way they keep discontinuing and changing models, but IMO the quality of their guns will compare favorably with anyone's.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:32 AM

STI 1911 9mm Trojan

Quote:
The SPARTAN was the Armscor -Philippines contract production entry level STI. To my knowledge, the vast majority of Trojans were made in Georgetown, TX and were an exceptional value for a good quality 1911.
I agree with the above post by Yeti.....the STI 1911 9mm Spartan was made in the PhilippinesÖ. And Armscor is one of the largest firearms makers in the world, so that does not mean a Spartan frame was not good quality.....Rock Island Armory is also owned by Armscor, and I have owned some very accurate RIA 9mm guns that functioned flawlessly.....
Old 01-09-2020, 10:32 AM

Everything but the Spartan was/is made in Georgetown, TX. If your not sure, start your post with "if memory serves" or "i could be wrong but" when you are not sure.

Stop spewing misinformation.

A brand new Trojan is a nice 1911 and was the best bang for your buck for many years. $1200 is full ask but still worth it considering that DW is puking out 1911 after 1911 flooding the space where STI once played. I prefer carbon steel 1911s
or stainless 1911 done correctly........

The only thing of note (which is not a big deal) is the Trojan has a cast frame.

Last edited by soverystout; 01-09-2020 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartian View Post
Harrish, you are incorrect on this. The Spartan was the Philippine/Armscore made gun that was finished at the Georgetown factory. It was not marketed as anything else.

And yes most people know STI for their 2011ís BUT they made excellent 1911ís and the Trojan absolutely dominated the single stack competition world. They are the Main/Title sponsor of the USPSA single stack division. They have not left the single stack market but have reentered with a modular frame single stack marketed under the 2011 line.

I have 8 or 9 single stack STIís and they are great guns. I recently picked up a Wilson Combat Sentinel and I canít understand the 2x-3x price difference as thereís no difference in quality.

At that price I would definitely pick up that Trojan, there are a lot of competitors buying them up since they are discontinued. Youíll be very happy with your purchase.
Couldn't have said it better. I'll put my hard chrome Sentinel Premier, Sentry, Lawman, Tactical SS up against any DW made now or in the past.

I hope they re-enter the 1911 market in the future.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soverystout View Post
I hope they re-enter the 1911 market in the future.
They have in a sense. They are back in the single stack game just not in a traditional 1911 frame. They are using a modular single stack 2011 frame/grip setup. They have the Staccato-C and Staccato-R.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:07 PM

Soverystout, I couldn't agree with you more. I have one experience with a DW, the accuracy was horrible and the customer service was worse. Never again.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:49 AM

Get the Trojan. It has a cast frame that probably is more durable than forged frames. Ref, Browning that had to convert from forged to cast frames as they introduced the Mk3 40s&w Hipower. Forged frame 40 prototypes disintegrated in less than 2000 rounds. Cast in 40 has normal service life, 20000 rounds+.

Last edited by Torf; 01-10-2020 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:31 PM

Sorry guys, you are correct, it was the STI Spartan that had the Armscor frame. But I knew there was something about the Trojan frame that was different. Above I was reminded it was a "Cast" frame that was the difference.

I still stand by my comments about DW. I'm sure the Trojan is fine. But if I was in the market for a $1K to $1.5K 1911, I would buy a DW and not look back. I wouldn't buy a gun that hasn't been produced for sometime by a manufacturer that no longer makes traditional 1911s. That's just me. By all means we are all entitled to our opinions and beliefs.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:06 PM

I have a Trojan 9mm. It would be very hard to beat the reliability and accuracy. It distresses me that STI discontinued the 1911.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:39 PM

There is a brand-new STI Trojan 9mm available in the usual on-line auction site for under $1,500. It says Competition Ready.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpaxton View Post
There is a brand-new STI Trojan 9mm available in the usual on-line auction site for under $1,500. It says Competition Ready.
I think all Trojans are pretty much competition ready.