Wesson PM9 range report - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-15-2019, 01:48 PM

Wesson PM9 range report

Went out today with the new PM9. Had put about 250 rounds through it previously, cleaning it every 50 rounds per break in instructions. I ran 200 rounds through it without cleaning today.

I had 3 ftf and twice it failed to go completely into battery. 124g magtech ammo. Have some Remington 115 on the way and will see how it does with that. The FTF May be mag related as they happened with the 10 round Mec gar mags I purchased.

Still need to tweak the rear sights as most of my shots pattern left a bit.

Some pics below. The first target is at 8 yards. All slow fire except for top left which was shot quickly. The last target is sideways but was shot at 25 yds. I need more practice!
Attached Thumbnails
456088B2-0B93-41D3-B644-B7D6E677924A_1576435241994.jpeg   5FA58B4F-893F-4946-A40C-95D53B36EEE0_1576435269860.jpeg   7A3F9E54-EEDF-4326-8B64-16BB1A9E7AC4_1576435296260.jpeg  
Old 12-15-2019, 02:05 PM

Great...I am looking out for a PM-9 as well and would love to have one.

Your targets suggest the the rear sight is spot on. As you shoot quicker, or even tire a little, it is easy and typical to pattern left a bit due to the trigger finger. The target at 25 yards: Spot on and good shooting for a new gun you are getting used to! I do my best shooting on the first few targets slow. Then my eyes need a rest if I really want to check the gun. After that I tend to speed up and able to detect a little pesky 'low & left'.
Old 12-15-2019, 03:01 PM

MecGar is known for a lot of good mags, but they are NOT known for their 1911 mags. I wouldn't bother using them to test reliability of any 1911 pistol.

What about the factory mags that came with your PM9?

If you want aftermarket mags, use Wilson Combat mags. If your gun isn't running properly after break-in using factory or Wilson mags, it's the gun that's the problem. But I'm 99% sure the problem is currently the MecGar mags.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2019, 04:58 PM

Very nice pistol.

Looking at some of the groups I can see some tight shot placement. Discount the occasional slight flyer and those groups are stacked tightly. Even the upper left faster shooting is nice and tight....gun fitting you and settling swiftly on target.

I suspect the front strap checkering and nice btgs allow for a super hand position & purchase. Those grips surely help (look like the VZ Operator II....I'm running them on two 5" guns that don't have front strap checkering and am amazed at how well they anchor the gun in hand)

25yrd target looks very good too. It's been a while since I've shot 25yd with handgun. My eyesight has reached the point at 51years that I need contacts or glasses. I recently gave up on contacts...just not able to get 'em in my eyes. Really need to get into my eye doc and remedy the glasses....been using cheater 1.5 readers just fine for reading....and my father put me onto the similar top-of-lens cheaters for range work. Looking forward to seeing what this does at 25yd in future sessions.

(I'm waiting on getting it's little cousin...PM-C in 9mm )

Lots of nice options on the market for us to choose from in pursuits of our 1911 fun, but I feel really confident that DW makes 'em really nicely. Sweet triggers, quality internals, well fitted, sharp looking, great accuracy, etc, etc.

I think you'll have long lasting excellent service from that pistol.

I've used several MecGar mags for P226 & CZ75. Never had a single hiccup. Never tried them on 1911 guns. I've run factory mags for guns break-ins and then always bought WC later on for them.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:18 PM

E

Thx. I'm 49 and was wearing my glasses. Still a struggle to stay focused on front dot and hold consistently. I wear readers at work and the the glasses to shoot. Getting a good prescription for what you need helps.

The grips are LOK g10's. They are thin for my small hands. I put a set on my Colt 1911 as well. I am thinking I may benefit from a short trigger as well.
Old 12-16-2019, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman33 View Post
Thx. I'm 49 and was wearing my glasses. Still a struggle to stay focused on front dot and hold consistently. I wear readers at work and the the glasses to shoot. Getting a good prescription for what you need helps.

The grips are LOK g10's. They are thin for my small hands. I put a set on my Colt 1911 as well. I am thinking I may benefit from a short trigger as well.
I've been having a heck of a time with glasses. My distance glasses make it hard to focus on the front sight. And the lower reading section (bifocals) means I have to lean my head back at an awkward angle and lose a good view of the target. During a dry fire session at home I took my glasses off and that seems to be solving the problem. I'll be practicing with this at the range, swaping 1911s, one with night sights and one with steel plain sights.

In order to use both eyes open aiming without my glasses, I simply squint a little and that gives me a good focus on the front sight (better than with glasses) and a faster sight picture. And I still have good awareness of the object I'm aiming at and the surrounding environment.

The squinting is just for the aiming and shooting. In a combat moving, my eyes are normal, and my distance vision is good enough without my glasses (used mostly for viewing movies and driving).