Shadow 2, to cut or not cut the slide? That is the question. - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-08-2019, 07:17 AM

Shadow 2, to cut or not cut the slide? That is the question.

Hey guys, I have been sort of “experimenting” with action leagues and sticking my toe in it. Have done steel plate, bullseye, and some action shooting. I plan to test the waters with 3 gun this summer and shoot much more regularly in steel plate.

First off, I am in it mostly for the fun and to become a better shooter. I don’t care about being ranked although, I do want to improve and do better.

Guns that I currently own and plan to use for said leagues....

22/45 Light
Walther Q5
Ruger PC9
Rem 700
Shadow 2
Sig P210

Of these, the 22/45, Q5, PC9 all shoot with red dots. The Rem 700 i can easily add one of course.

I have an S2 at CGW, and at first I was going to have the slide cut. Now having second thoughts. If I cut the slide for an optic, it looks as though I have to make the slide lighter and it pushes me into an open division. Not sure I care...but maybe I should.

Naturally, there are other options such as dove tail mounts and frame mounts only because I could use those for bullseye or steel plate if I wanted and then remove. I could also get a second slide. Hey

Decisions, decisions.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:22 AM

There are lots of CZs in USPSA's carry optics division. The shadow 2 is pretty heavy to start with and you have to be careful the optic doesn't put you over the weight limit of 45oz. Cajun Gun Works should know they're doing, they're the biggest CZ shop in the States.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2019, 10:16 AM

If you are shooting USPSA or Steel Challenge, there are Carry Optics divisions for that gun to fit nicely in. If you are shooting some other sort of outlaw steel match they generally have Iron sight pistol and Open sight pistol, so that would be an Open gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waktasz View Post
If you are shooting USPSA or Steel Challenge, there are Carry Optics divisions for that gun to fit nicely in. If you are shooting some other sort of outlaw steel match they generally have Iron sight pistol and Open sight pistol, so that would be an Open gun.
Yes...but this is where things are confusing. Was under the impression that with the optic, and a cut slide, it is no longer a carry optic gun.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:08 AM

To me, it seems as though the S2 is the perfection Production gun. But once you get into Limited and Open, it is not. Once you cut the slide, I think it’s no longer production.

The issue for me is...do I care? In other words, do I really care what class I am in, or do I just want to shoot what I want to shoot. Have fun...enjoy the time.

I have shot in action leagues and in the past, have always just brought what I bring. I have been asked “what class are you shooting?” when I check in. I tell them what I plan to shoot and then have them answer the question 🙂

Not sure if I want to continue that approach...
Old 11-12-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterDR View Post
Yes...but this is where things are confusing. Was under the impression that with the optic, and a cut slide, it is no longer a carry optic gun.
Depends what sport you are talking about? You can lighten the slide in USPSA now.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:51 PM

Decision made. Having it cut.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:24 PM

Hey guys and girls....

I have had great luck with Vortex Venom. I have three of them, and other than a dead battery, they have been flawless.

My good pal is telling me that they suck and that I need to step it up to an SRO. Yea....I realize SRO is a better sight.

Any of you guys think I am crazy to stick with Vortex?
Old 11-12-2019, 04:32 PM

Hey guys and girls....

I have had great luck with Vortex Venom. I have three of them, and other than a dead battery, they have been flawless.

My good pal is telling me that they suck and that I need to step it up to an SRO. Yea....I realize SRO is a better sight.

Any of you guys think I am crazy to stick with Vortex?
Old 11-12-2019, 04:42 PM

i think you should stick to the venom. want to buy mine? I think it sucks, mostly because it is too dim and small to see easily in full daylight. I replaced it with a similarly cheap FF3, and now the venom is parked on my scorpion pcc. Being closer to my eye, it seems ok on that gun so far, but I haven't shot any matches with it yet (because shooting rifles in a pistol match is lame).
Old 11-12-2019, 04:46 PM

I haven’t had any issues with the level of brightness at all.

All of mine are 3MOA too but I am going to get a 6