3-gun shooting and shotgun choices - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-05-2019, 06:56 AM

3-gun shooting and shotgun choices

There are different divisions of 3 gun, but most competitors want a shot gun that will hold at least 8+1 rounds.....so tube fed shotguns are popular.

However, I recently ordered and received a 12 gauge magazine fed semi auto shotgun.....a Rock Island Armory VR-80. I also ordered two extra 9 round mags which were shipped with the gun, but the 19 round mag was out of stock at the time of my order, and shipped yesterday....I am waiting to try the 19 round 12 gauge mag.....

I had a learning curve when I first tested the shotgun.....The user manual is very poor, and I was supposed to have an insert in the users manual that explained the specific 12 gauge loads to use for the "break-in" period.....I did not receive an "insert" regarding the ammo for the "break-in" period. I was using 12 gauge game & target loads, but the power of the load would not allow the bolt carrier to function properly, and it jammed on every shot fired. I called Rock Island in Parhump, NV, and they helped to explain and fix the issue......I needed more powerful loads for the break-in period! Since then I have received the correct "break-in" shotgun ammo, and the gun functioned fine on the first round fired and all 25 rounds in the box. I am a happy camper. The gun comes with adjustable flip up front and rear sights, but I have placed a red dot optic on the picatinny rail, and it works fine! I made sure before I ordered the red dot that it sat high enough off the picatinny rail so the existing iron sights that flip down do not obstruct the red dot sight. I got lucky, and did not have to change the 5 MOA dot for elevation or windage since it was shooting dead on out to 40 yards with slugs.

I purchased the shotgun from Tombstone Tactical, in AZ, and they shipped the gun to my local gun dealer....I paid $30 for the transfer fee. The total cost of the gun was $599 plus the $30 transfer fee.....this did not include the two 9 round mags, but I believe the shipping was free. This is not a bad price for a good semi auto shotgun....the gun is made in Turkey and imported by RIA.
Attached Thumbnails
RIA VR-80 12 gauge shotgun.jpg  

Last edited by Rwehavinfunyet; 10-05-2019 at 07:06 AM.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:19 AM

Welcome to Open division...Lol

I tried a box fed shotgun, and really liked it, but found it was not really as big of an advantage as I thought compared to my M3000. I was hoping the rules might change to allow them in other divisions, but there's so much resistance to change in the sport, so I sold it.

I sorta look at it as Optics on a production gun. Not that much of an advantage, unless you have older eyes. The club I shoot runs a carry optics division now and its funny to see the results overall before sorting into divisions. The order of finish is still about the same. If it were putting iron sighted guys at a disadvantage the carry optic guys should be smoking everyone....they're not.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:21 AM

Box fed shotgun with optics.....

Here is my opinion on why I purchased the RIA VR-80:

For my 68 year old eyes, it helps me to keep up with the younger competitors

A nineteen round mag usually means no mag changes on most courses of fire....which may save 2 seconds or more for those that have to recharge their shotguns....

The compact size compared to a much longer tube fed shotgun should be an advantage for faster target acquisition

Last but not least, I have a compensator ordered, which should help as well....

I know this is a gun strictly for open division, so my other guns used in 3-gun all have optics as well......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2019, 09:50 PM

That 19 round mag will get you some good exercise too. That’ll be some heavy lifting there!
Old 10-13-2019, 06:24 AM

Heavy lifting with a 19 round mag.....

I plan to use the shotgun for the way the stage is designed.....if a 3-gun stage can be completed using 8+1 rounds for the shotgun portion, I will use a 9 round mag and start with 9+1 12 gauge rounds in the gun.... If more is needed, I will load the 19 round mag with as many rounds as needed with one extra round (in case of a jam).

If the stage is designed with only 6 rounds needed for the shotgun portion, I might just use a 9 round mag.....

The RIA VR-80 has a 20" barrel, so the overall weight of the gun may not be as heavy as a tubular fed shotgun with a 24-26" barrel with an extended mag tube.