1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-19-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Rogers View Post
Some people have not learned what their limitations are for sure!
Were the cuts done on a mill? Front sight cut looks off. Not to mention what he did to the poor sight itself...
Joe

Here is the pic of once I took the front sight off. The dovetail wasn’t straight. The bottom wasn’t flat and was too deep.

Luckily he cut the dovetail way to narrow so opening it up to the right size fixed the wedge shape.

Brett Cifaldi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2020, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSMedic View Post
Here is the pic of once I took the front sight off. The dovetail wasn’t straight. The bottom wasn’t flat and was too deep.

Luckily he cut the dovetail way to narrow so opening it up to the right size fixed the wedge shape.

Brett Cifaldi
Is that residual solder in the dovetail from the previous "smith's" attempt at gunsmithing?
Old 01-19-2020, 08:55 PM

Here are two photos with both a Novak type slide and an uncut slide I am making into one with Novak type sight slots. as you can see in the second photo, the Novak removes a lot of the slide metal. Kimber sights also remove a lot of metal. The third photo is of one of my 1911s that came with shallow dovetails that I cut to fit Kimber type Tru Glo Night sights.

Set up to cut Novak sight slots. Using the Kiss and set the DRO trick to get the Z axis depth right.

Note the dovetails not yet cut.

Kimber type Tru Glo Night sights fitted.

Lots can be done with a milling machine.

Last edited by warp2diesel; 01-19-2020 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBBill View Post
Is that residual solder in the dovetail from the previous "smith's" attempt at gunsmithing?

No, my understanding is this was a gi tenon type sight the original guy cut a dovetail into. He broke his cutter on it which tells me he tried to make the entire cut with his dovetail cutter which is the wrong way to do this. I believe the silver is just the carbon steel in the white after his work.

Brett Cifaldi

Old 01-22-2020, 09:59 PM

Maybe you could have it milled out to accept a red dot mount sight or something similar. Might not be what you want, but I’ve been thinking of doing it. Then you can always custom make a “plate adapter” that has a normal site attached to it. Just an idea anyways. The other thing you could do is have a rear custom site made that fits the odd dovetail shape. They aren’t that hard to make with a mill and some files.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:28 AM

Vertical mill for making dovetail sight cuts....

I seldom need to make a dovetail sight cut, and usually purchase a slide that already has the cuts.....

However, I did make a dovetail front sight cut, and purchased a triangular sight cut file with the proper angle of degree for the sight cut. The slide originally had a tenon staked front sight..... it wasn't too difficult, but took a lot more time than setting up a vertical mill and cutting the front sight..... even so, the sight fit very well....and the slide now has dovetailed Fiber Optic front sight.....
Old 01-23-2020, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
Maybe you could have it milled out to accept a red dot mount sight or something similar. Might not be what you want, but I’ve been thinking of doing it. Then you can always custom make a “plate adapter” that has a normal site attached to it. Just an idea anyways. The other thing you could do is have a rear custom site made that fits the odd dovetail shape. They aren’t that hard to make with a mill and some files.

It was fixed already.

Brett Cifaldi