Open Carry Observation - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-18-2020, 09:24 PM

Open Carry Observation

So, I went to one of the local big box home repair stores today (in a major metropolitan area). There was an elderly gentleman, walking stooped and holding on to his wife. He also had a revolver (in a non-retention holster) strapped on, open carry.

My initial thoughts were related to how easy it would be to retrieve that revolver and do harm, if that were one’s motive.

My next thoughts were related to the difficulty most people would have with a 1911. I have a couple of LEO relatives who do plastics, and they always fumble with the thumb safety.

One more reason I prefer to conceal carry a 1911.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:31 PM

Reagrdless of what kind of gun you carry you must maintain awareness of everything and everyone around you and never let anyone get close enough to snatch your gun.
Old 01-19-2020, 05:16 AM

Open carry...I support the right...but NOT the practice. But if you're going to do it, at least have a high quality active retention holster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2020, 05:53 AM

I have open carry in my state. I look at it more as if my coat blows open from the wind and somebody sees my gun I'm covered.
I would never open carry as first it instills fear in the public unless you have a police or security guard uniform on.
Second if you open carry into a 711 at the time it's being robbed, They are going to shoot you right away. Why lose the element of surprise.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:34 AM

My state has open and concealed carry with no permit required for either. The only reason many of us have permits is so that we can be legal when traveling to another state. I would say that most men in my town are carrying, but concealed. Some women carry also, but it's a significantly lesser percentage than the men.

All that being said, rarely do I see someone open carry, but occasionally I do. I don't mind it, but I see the worried looks from others who notice the gun. And the open carry is almost always in an ultra cheap, non-retention holster, "Uncle Mikes" rings a bell. They want others to see the gun. Personally, I think it hurts the cause.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsvette View Post
All that being said, rarely do I see someone open carry, but occasionally I do. I don't mind it, but I see the worried looks from others who notice the gun. And the open carry is almost always in an ultra cheap, non-retention holster, "Uncle Mikes" rings a bell. They want others to see the gun. Personally, I think it hurts the cause.
In more rural areas, nobody thinks anything of open carry. But in an urban/suburban environment, I fully agree.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by James3612 View Post
In more rural areas, nobody thinks anything of open carry. But in an urban/suburban environment, I fully agree.
I have found this to be true in most cases. I was in a home repair chain store recently and saw a young man (30-ish) open carrying in a IWB holster and no one paid any attention to it, no one gave it a second look as far as I could tell; this was in Paris Texas. I rarely see any reaction in places like Clarkesville Texas, as well as Harrison or Berryville Arkansas. We often open carry to lunch on warm days at the Berryville Bash, as does Bill and several of the folks from Wilson, and no one pays any attention to it.

My observation is along the same line as expressed above, but I'll say it differently: be mindful of your environment and surroundings, and conduct one's self accordingly. The strategy of concealed is sound in any case, but there are times and places where it is more than necessary.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 01-19-2020, 11:09 AM

Not a fan of OC, but if we believe in 2A, the elderly man has the right to do what he wants. And using a holster which he wants. Possibly, he feels that "no-retention" is the only way he has a chance of getting the gun out fast enough to protect himself. Who are we to judge him unless we want to become like the Lefty and start specking all sorts of things on a gun, from trigger weight to what color it should be, and of course who should and shouldn't have a gun.

Looking at the recent vid of the thug who killed 2 people in the church with a SG. While one victim had no gun, the second victim certainly did, concealed, and just didn't get it out in time (he tried). So who is to say what is right or wrong for any given law abiding gun-owner.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 01-19-2020 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:09 PM

Never letting anyone get close enough to snatch your gun? In public?

IMPOSSIBLE.

You would have to be constantly spinning to check north, west, east & south.

Then repeatedly jumping away from passers by. Darting one way or another all the time.

Plus that means no standing in line, or placing orders /being served, anywhere. So other than jumping around like a cat in a dog kennel, why are you out in public?

You cant go to a store, gas station, bank, post office, or restaurant. There's no point in going anywhere.

Ridiculous. Not letting anyone get close, in public, is an impossible task.

If you are carrying open, in public, you NEED good retention. The idea that that the oldster needs an unsecured sixgun holster so he can quick-draw for defense is highly flawed.

Because the kind of criminal who would grab his gun is possibly, if not likely, the kind of creep who would shoot him with it. And now he has, conveniently, been armed.

Old dude is better off not attracting, or arming, opportunists.

OC is for well secured guns in low population areas. Not in a pouch in a big box store. Especially the home-improvement type that are magnets for shoplifting crooks.

Because they know there is a No-Pursuit policy.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:55 PM

We have open carry in Michigan but in the forty some years that I have carried, I have never open carried. I just have never had any desire to do so. I like not having anyone know that I am ready and prepared.

As L84COBO said I support the right but not the practice.

Open carry is very, very rare in my area and I do not think that I see one person a year open carrying.

Now if I lived in that undisclosed urban city in Northern Texas and was going to a barbecue, I might consider it.

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 01-19-2020, 01:08 PM

[QUOTE=combat auto;13042558 So who is to say what is right or wrong for any given law abiding gun-owner.[/QUOTE] Well, I guess the politicians in New Jersey think they can make all kinds of decisions regarding possession and carrying of guns. And I guess you give your tacit approval by voting them in each term.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsvette View Post
Well, I guess the politicians in New Jersey think they can make all kinds of decisions regarding possession and carrying of guns. And I guess you give your tacit approval by voting them in each term.
WTH does your comment have to do with this thread...

LOL, you must still be butt hurt about all the "discussions" we had about the rare cases of police brutality months ago and trying to bait me - good try.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 01-19-2020 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:16 PM

I’ve seen far too many instances of folks practicing OC without the awareness, equipment or both to do so safely.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

I have deleted some posts that had no relevance to the thread and were a hijack of the thread topic. Those folks whose posts were deleted know who they are - cease the pissing match thread hijack.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 01-19-2020, 06:06 PM

It sounds to me like some of you guys are in favor of gun control as long as you are the ones controlling.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glider View Post
It sounds to me like some of you guys are in favor of gun control as long as you are the ones controlling.
I am strongly in favor of gun control. As in; control your gun at all times, in your hand, in your holster, in your purse......I don’t care, just control it. Too many don’t.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:09 PM

Being against unwise & unsafe practices does not make me, or anyone with similar thoughts, pro gun control.

Nor have I proposed any new laws pertaining to carry.

Being more careful with guns than a toddler is with a stick should be expected of adults.

That's not a big ask, and it's not unconstitutional.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
Being against unwise & unsafe practices does not make me, or anyone with similar thoughts, pro gun control.

Nor have I proposed any new laws pertaining to carry.

Being more careful with guns than a toddler is with a stick should be expected of adults.

That's not a big ask, and it's not unconstitutional.
Very well said.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:33 PM

NC didn't allow (non leo) concealed carry until 1995. Before that I open carried every day. I don't think open carry is the best way to carry but it's better than being an unarmed victim.
I thought this was a gun forum. The rules read "This sub-forum is for general gun-related discussion only. No political commentary or other off-topic discussions are allowed, nor subjects that barely have anything to do with guns or shooting. The only section where off-topic discussion is currently allowed is in the special sub-forum created for site supporters.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody b View Post
NC didn't allow (non leo) concealed carry until 1995. Before that I open carried every day. I don't think open carry is the best way to carry but it's better than being an unarmed victim.
Agree........but I’m assuming you aren’t part of the mindless masses we’re surrounded by today.

Cell phone is priority number one, watching their own children isn’t, carrying a gun with your HUA, crap holster, totally unaware of being taken away in less time than you can say ‘1911’.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:33 PM

Last time I was in NC at some mall, there were a few open carriers. One was playing with his kid and totally oblivious that his gun was about to fall our of his uncle mikes iwb holster that he stuck between his belt and jeans. totally irresponsible.

i only open carry at work (leo). the second i'm not in uniform, it's concealed carry all the time.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post
Open carry...I support the right...but NOT the practice. But if you're going to do it, at least have a high quality active retention holster.
I totally agree. There's no reason to eliminate the element of surprise with OC.

If I lived in a rural area however, I would definitely to it some of the time for convenience purposes. In the situation of a rural setting, you're going to mostly run into people you already know. If you see someone that's "new to the area", your attention will likely be towards them anyway.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:05 PM

Up to a few years ago we had the restaurant law. I.e. the state law prohibited concealed carry in an establishment that served alcoholic beverages. My solution when dining out was not to be unarmed but to carry a dark pistol IWB with a dark shirt on and sit with my strong side to the wall, booth or another person. Essentially that was the only time I open carried, unless I was on the farm or in the woods. I will say that I am unaware of anyone noticing the 1911 on my belt. Most folks are in condition white all of the time.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRT View Post
Up to a few years ago we had the restaurant law. I.e. the state law prohibited concealed carry in an establishment that served alcoholic beverages.
One of the ways that Chicago has tried to resist concealed carry was to pass a regulation that any entity with a liquor license must put up a "no concealed carry" sticker on their establishment. I guess the Chicago Dems are fine with citizens being murdered if they go to a restaurant, regardless of whether or not they're drinking anything.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:23 PM

I might open carry around the farm or woods, but generally not in any public venue.

Most of the time I see OC are people that appear to be less involved in actual firearms use than many other shooters I know that CC.

I shoot as a hobby in many local matches and train at various ranges in my area. I know most trainers and ardent competitors in the county and surrounding counties.

I have yet to recognize anyone OC'ing in the above aforementioned groups.

Most often OC'rs are carrying some firearm in a cheap nylon or paddle holster and sometimes not even a correctly gun fitting holster.

Often times I feel they are doing it for attention rather than protection.

There are exceptions to my observations, but generally I see what the OP recognized.

I support their right to OC, but the practice is not for me. If they are comfortable with it, rock on.

Last edited by lhawkins; 01-20-2020 at 05:25 PM.