1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-17-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildphil View Post
I looked at what I think is the patent for the 1911 and I believe it is called the John M Browning autoloading pistol or something like that. I don't recall seeing the name Colt anywhere on the patent. I don't know if the info that I have read about the 1911 is correct or not. It said that Colt hired JMB to develop a pistol that would fill the requirements that the U.S. government wanted so they could possibly win a contract to supply them. I would guess by Colt hiring JMB to do this. That they must have not had enough confidence in any of their employees to be able to develop the weapon.

I read an article about JMB and it stated that he loved inventing firearms. But did not like manufacturing them. It stated that he preferred having their companies manufacture his inventions. No, I am not stating this is what happened with the 1911. It is just a bit of info that I read.

The 1911 is not the only firearm that Colt manufactured quite a few of that they did not invent. The AR-10 rifle was designed by Eugene Stoner at Armalite. His chief assistant Robert Freemont along with Jim Sullivan developed the AR-15. Colt bought the patent from Armalite.
JMB also designed the Colt 1903 Hammerless. Still a Colt.

JMB also designed the FN 1910. Still an FN.

When you sell your design to a company or work for a company, they own your designs.

As far as the AR-15 goes ArmaLite was the originator. Stoner designed it while working for or with ArmaLite. Colt May have bought the rights and licenses but Colt was not the originator. Just the rightful copier.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy1911 View Post
Yes you are right , I should have called Colt the " first " copier of the 1911

Oh are we talking about Winchester ... NO .
Pretty hard to be the first copier if the first unit was actually made in Colt factory by Colt employees.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
JMB also designed the Colt 1903 Hammerless. Still a Colt.

JMB also designed the FN 1910. Still an FN.

When you sell your design to a company or work for a company, they own your designs.

As far as the AR-15 goes ArmaLite was the originator. Stoner designed it while working for or with ArmaLite. Colt May have bought the rights and licenses but Colt was not the originator. Just the rightful copier.
That is right about the 1911. Colt made the 1911 that John M Browning sold them the rights to produce. They then owned the rights to produce the 1911. That made them the first company to copy Browning design.

Stoner did not design the AR-15. He designed the AR-10.

Last edited by wildphil; 01-17-2020 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:43 PM

The OP was just bored and wanted to stir things up, right? Success.

I got to think that if a lot of folks on this board were in charge of things the wheel would have never been invented.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:21 AM

Back in the 1980's when I was new to firearms, I used to think that Colt made the standard by which other 1911 pistols were judged. Once I tried other 1911 pistols I learned that Colt 1911's were base, unfinished 1911's. I really like Dan Wesson 1911 pistols and have several and my EDC is a Night Hawk Custom. All are chambered in the superior 10mm caliber. Dan Wesson is now the standard by which I judge all other 1911's, with anything cheaper than a DW as substandard and 1911's that are more expensive than DW, as superior/outstanding 1911's.