1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-16-2020, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
Disagree on what point? The number of homicides per 100,000 people is easily established.

And they are committed by murderers. Whether by a just a few murderers or many of them, blue ones, rich ones, or poor ones.

It's an overall, and generally reliable number.

So do you disagree that WE have criminals that kill at a ratio of 5 per 100,000?

Or are you disagreeing that the UK's rate is smaller? Because demographic details do not change these figures.
I disagree on your comments: "Your point is not viable" and the comment "Stats have flaws argument is lame" as well as several others you posted earlier. The only comment I made to this statistics discussion is that they can be very deceiving. They certainly can be. I have relatives in other countries, and I hear often that the murder rate is so high in the US they are afraid to come here. Thats ridiculous of course. We still have one of the safest countries in the world to visit regardless what the statistic is regarding the crime rate or murder rate. Many of our cities have incredibly high murder rates. One I have visited many times (and recently) has one of the highest, and thats New Orleans at 41/100,000. I have been to many European cities that had me more on edge than New Orleans. Ignoring demographics as it pertains to statistics is not very wise.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:15 AM

M-Peltier. There is no "regardless of what the statistic is" ---------- Nope. The crime rate is the crime rate.

Now can you mitigate the risk of the crime rate affecting you by sticking to safer areas & practices within that country? Yes, Of course.

Just like you can lower your chances of getting wet when in Panama. But you cannot change the weather. It's more rainy there. You cannot change the statistics of Average Rainfall.

And the US, overall, is more "murdery" than, say, Belgium. That's the facts.

Concerning your FEELINGS in Europe, you probably WERE at more risk of victimization, depending on where you were. Probably not homicide (check stats for that) but theft, yes.

I'm on higher alert when traveling because tourists are the preferred prey of pickpockets, purse-snatchers, and scammers-------- Plus I'm not carrying, adding to the unease.

So yes, I "feel" more vulnerable to crime in Europe. But I truly am less likely to be killed in Paris than in LA. Regardless of how I feel.

And demographically, WHO shoots or robs me doesn't matter.
Old 01-16-2020, 01:32 PM

I'm going to offer a thought.
Always be in condition yellow & have sharp situational awareness.
Old 01-16-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
M-Peltier. There is no "regardless of what the statistic is" ---------- Nope. The crime rate is the crime rate.

Now can you mitigate the risk of the crime rate affecting you by sticking to safer areas & practices within that country? Yes, Of course.

Just like you can lower your chances of getting wet when in Panama. But you cannot change the weather. It's more rainy there. You cannot change the statistics of Average Rainfall.

And the US, overall, is more "murdery" than, say, Belgium. That's the facts.

Concerning your FEELINGS in Europe, you probably WERE at more risk of victimization, depending on where you were. Probably not homicide (check stats for that) but theft, yes.

I'm on higher alert when traveling because tourists are the preferred prey of pickpockets, purse-snatchers, and scammers-------- Plus I'm not carrying, adding to the unease.

So yes, I "feel" more vulnerable to crime in Europe. But I truly am less likely to be killed in Paris than in LA. Regardless of how I feel.

And demographically, WHO shoots or robs me doesn't matter.

Not entirely. Statistics can be manipulated in a lot of ways. Listen to anti's and you will come away thinking that gun violence is RAMPANT. Then you look at their statistics and find out they lumped suicides, self defense, and accidental shooting all together with actual homicides. So yeah, statistics are statistics, but statistically speaking you can count on people with an agenda to manipulate them 100% of the time....... Don't trust statistics unless you know where the data comes from.
Old 01-16-2020, 02:32 PM

68% of all statistics are made up.
Old 01-16-2020, 02:37 PM

Quote:
But I truly am less likely to be killed in Paris than in LA. Regardless of how I feel.
You are less likely to be killed in certain parts of Paris than in certain parts of LA. This is the problem with generalizations. The truth is what's so, but it's also so what. It's useless information.

Last edited by K0025xx; 01-16-2020 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:53 PM

Tenagain ------ These particular stats reference every country. It's not about the internal politics of any one nation.

Per this data the US looks good compared to some nations and not so good compared to others. So the info could be used to support either a pro, or anti gun / knife / whatever position.

What you're saying about statistics being malleable, yes, of course they could be skewed. But there is no clear political motive here or a definitive conclusion anyhow.

If you want to see biased or skewed statistics look to admittedly biased sources within one country. Like Liberal or Conservative organizations within the US.

Not an international aggregator of information.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:34 PM

A few countries have homicide rates around TEN TIMES higher than the US. That's not useless information if you are planning a vacation.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:55 PM

Quote:
A few countries have homicide rates around TEN TIMES higher than the US. That's not useless information if you are planning a vacation.
Wouldn't that depend on where, in that country, you were heading?
Old 01-16-2020, 09:10 PM

The President of "Knife Control, Inc.," could not be reached for comment...

Old 01-16-2020, 11:03 PM

koo25xx ---------- Sure. It helps a great deal to know where the safer, and the more dangerous, areas are.

But criminals can & do get around. El Salvador has Sixty One murders per 100k people compared to the US at only five. Yes, most is drug-trafficking related but you still have to watch your six. You could get caught up in something unexpected.