Went to the range today with my Rock Island Armory 1911 .45 ACP - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-05-2020, 02:14 PM

Went to the range today with my Rock Island Armory 1911 .45 ACP

Yesterday, (as seen in the general topics section), I went at the local gun show here in town. I picked up some 185gr TMJ rounds from Georgia Arms.

Today, I shot the 50 round bag of 185gr rounds. No problems, no issues, every round went "bang"... Just a slight difference in recoil is all I noticed.

However, as seen on my target, it's been MONTHS since I last went to the range, and it shows. Man, talk about wild inconsistency!!

The saying is true - "Practice makes perfect!"

Old 01-05-2020, 02:43 PM

Hi Butch, Your ammo sounds similar to the Browning 185 gr .45 acp that my Son got me for Christmas.
I've never shot anything other than 230 gr, and I couldn't believe how mild it was!
Pedro.
VCDL
Old 01-05-2020, 05:25 PM

If for SD purposes, under stress, that's still very good shooting.

Obviously, you're accustomed to greater self-marksmanship results than in this particular out-of-practice range session, but don't be hard on yourself....you would have dispatched any BG with that shooting.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2020, 06:29 PM

Thank you... I appreciate it. The funny thing is a have a real good buddy of mine who is a former Marine and I'm a retired "Coastie" (we bust on each other all the time!)

Anyway, he razzes me all the time about sitting on my butt behind a desk for a whole career (I was a Yeoman doing military paperwork, ID cards, personnel records & payroll, etc...). I was not required to continue any firearm qualifications after bootcamp - it's just the way it was. Pick your rate (MOS), chose your fate, as we always said! So, my buddy wants to help "sharpen up my skills" next time at the indoor range. I teased him back, "Can a Marine really show a Coastie how things are done?" LOL!!!

Lastly, that target was just an 8 x 11 piece of paper, shot from 30 feet away. I was a little rusty, but was trying to regain my focus and concentration...