Ruger commnader lighweight 9mm and steel case ammo - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-24-2019, 12:03 PM

Ruger commnader lighweight 9mm and steel case ammo

The other day I took my Ruger light weight 9mm commander to the range with some Wolf to the range. Ruger says in the manual that it is ok to shoot steel case ammo so I wanted to see how this Wolf ammo would do. About every other magazine i would get a failure to feed. The slide would lock almost all the way back, stop, and not pick up the round. I had previously tried Tula with even more feeding problems.
I had a box of Blazer Brass so i shot that through the Ruger. The Blazer went through the Ruger without any problems. Blazer was a lot hotter than the Wolf.
I talked to a friend about this; and the fact that the Wolf will fire fire in a Glock without any problems. He thought the Glock did ok because the round feeds straight into the barrel rather than hitting the lip of the barrel ( as he said the 1911 does). It was very noticeable that the Blazer Brass was a lot hotter load than the Wolf; and I think that lack of power had a lot to do with the feeding problem experienced with the Wolf. I thought about trying a different recoil spring in the Ruger.
What do you think is the problem?
Old 07-24-2019, 12:46 PM

I would say that the problem is Wolf Ammo. Is there is a reason that you seem to be hung up on Wolf? If it was me, I would stop shooting Wolf even though it may be the cheapest ammo out there.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:55 PM

From the sound of it, ammo is the issue. A lighter recoil spring may help. As for what the manual says, are you sure it doesn't specify American made steel case? In the past Ruger and most other companies advised against steel cased ammo in their firearms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2019, 02:53 PM

I would stay far away from the steel case ammo. If you need a load that is softer than blazer ammo check our what freedom munitions has or start reloading

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk
Old 07-24-2019, 03:03 PM

The next time the slide locks back, push on the slide stop pin ( right side of pistol). If the slide drops then this is a case of bullet bump (feeding bullet of cartridge hitting the slide stop hold open lug). This means the Wolf ammo has a different profile bullet and the slide stop needs to be relieved at the hold open stud. Or just use ammo the pistol likes. A third option is to get a take off Ruger slide stop or equivilent and modify it just for shooting with the problematic ammunition brands.

Also, check the recoil spring length is correct. If it is too long (the recoil spring in mine was) it will go into coil bind and cause harsh recoil, maybe inertial application of the slide stop. Not to mention beat up the slide and barrel bushing.
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.

Last edited by Magnumite; 07-24-2019 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumite View Post
the next time the slide locks back, push on the slide stop pin ( right side of pistol). If the slide drops then this is a case of bullet bump (feeding bullet of cartridge hitting the slide stop hold open lug). This means the wolf ammo has a different profile bullet and the slide stop needs to be relieved at the hold open stud. Or just use ammo the pistol likes. A third option is to get a take off ruger slide stop or equivilent and modify it just for shooting with the problematic ammunition brands.

Also, check the recoil spring length is correct. If it is too long (the recoil spring in mine was) it will go into coil bind and cause harsh recoil, maybe inertial application of the slide stop. Not to mention beat up the slide and barrel bushing.
+1
Old 07-25-2019, 10:12 AM

It has turned out to be a combination of the Wolf's nose and the fact that the bullet does not feed straight into the barrel. In a Glock, with the bullet feeding straight into the barrel, there are no feeding issues with Wolf. i have found the my Ruger even has some issues with the Blazer aluminum. One thing for certain the lightweight 9mm is not as fault free as the 45 acp.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne3593 View Post
From the sound of it, ammo is the issue. A lighter recoil spring may help. As for what the manual says, are you sure it doesn't specify American made steel case? In the past Ruger and most other companies advised against steel cased ammo in their firearms.
The manual just says steel case.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboredad View Post
I would stay far away from the steel case ammo. If you need a load that is softer than blazer ammo check our what freedom munitions has or start reloading

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk
Already do reload - just wanted to see if steel case would work - it wont.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hub1home View Post
I would say that the problem is Wolf Ammo. Is there is a reason that you seem to be hung up on Wolf? If it was me, I would stop shooting Wolf even though it may be the cheapest ammo out there.
Mostly shoot it in Glocks.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:16 PM

In 1911 land and 45ACP the Wolf was mild compared to something like Federal or Winchester. Also the powder they used was pretty stinky so have not shot any in years. These days a couple of ranges I go to say no Russian ammo but that is due to the steel in the bullets being unfriendly with their back stops. I came home and pulled a bullet and could pick it up with a magnet. Interesting.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbert Cannon View Post
Quote:
The manual just says steel case.
I wonder when Ruger changed their position on steel cased ammo.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:30 AM

My Ruger Officers model had no issues with 9mm Winchester steel cased ammo.
I didn't notice when I bought it. Disappointed because I reload and wanted the brass.

Jim
Old 07-26-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim18611865 View Post
My Ruger Officers model had no issues with 9mm Winchester steel cased ammo.
I didn't notice when I bought it. Disappointed because I reload and wanted the brass.

Jim
That Winchester steel case is decent for what it is. The cases are filthy compared to brass but does just fine in my 9mm but I haven't tried it in my 9mm Colt yet (currently my only 9mm 1911). My SR1911 has had a number of different steel case ammo and functioned just fine but I avoid the laquered covered cases as the coating gets into the small parts and will eventually start to gum up the works in any pistol I've tried it in.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:07 PM

I totally quit shooting steel cased now. It just is not worth a few cents in savings on the cost of ammo. I know this might sound lame, but I would actually have to shoot a little less, just so I had the money for brass.

I have shot some aluminum cased stuff, but try to stick with the brass ammo all the way.
Old 07-27-2019, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911-USMC View Post
I totally quit shooting steel cased now. It just is not worth a few cents in savings on the cost of ammo. I know this might sound lame, but I would actually have to shoot a little less, just so I had the money for brass.

I have shot some aluminum cased stuff, but try to stick with the brass ammo all the way.
That's the case for now but during the ammo drought that wasn't. For the most part it's brass only for me now as I'm saving up empty brass for reloading plus it's cleaner shooting. However steel case is easier to pick up and throw away if you have a powerful enough magnet
Old 07-28-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
That's the case for now but during the ammo drought that wasn't. For the most part it's brass only for me now as I'm saving up empty brass for reloading plus it's cleaner shooting. However steel case is easier to pick up and throw away if you have a powerful enough magnet
I use a 24 inch bar magnet with a piece of rope tied to it. Just drag it across the shooting area a few times and done. The rest the Mrs will find with the lawn mower.

I used a lot of 45 wolf and had some minor issues every so often. Now it is only my reloads in 45. I buy 9mm wolf by the case but I do not have a 1911 in 9mm so can't help there.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:58 AM

Steel Ammo

The only gun I'll shoot steel out of is my XD9. It eats anything.

In my 1911's, I'll only shoot brass or nickel cased ammo out of.

I don't feel like replacing a barrel due to wear using steel.

I'll try it now and then with some of my plastic guns, but I just feel like it fouls the receiver and action as well as scratching the inside of the barrel and causing premature wear.

I absolutely will not load my personal defense weapons with it or shoot it from them.
VFW