1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 11:28 AM

Wilson Carry Comp, 1060 Rounds, 7 Hours Shooting Steel

Yesterday I went with my a good friend Mike, who happens to be a great Instructor, to spend the day shooting steel. Seven hours to be exact! I specifically brought 500 rounds of Federal Syntech 115gr Range Ammo, 500 rounds of Syntech 150gr Action Pistol, and 60 rounds of 138gr Syntech Defense to run through my Wilson Combat X-Tac Elite Carry Comp 9mm Compact. I brought other guns as well and lots more ammo. Mike also brought some amazing STI 2011s, Agency Glock 19 NOC (only 50 made special comped G19s), and some other goodies. But my first priority was running all 1060 rounds that I allotted from my Carry Comp.

Once we got all the Steel Plates, Silhouettes, and Poppers set up we did all kinds of stationary and moving drills. I have not had that much fun in a LONG time. The range where we can play with all that freedom is a 2 hour drive from home, plus given the demands of work and family, I don't have many days where I can just take a whole day to myself. But I made it happen.

I continue to be beyond impressed with my Wilson Carry Comp. It devoured all 1060 rounds without a single hitch. I did not clean it, wipe it down or lube it once throughout the course of the 1060 rounds. As you can see in the pictures below, there would not have been any need to. With the clean burning powders and synthetic jacket of the Federal Syntech ammo, the gun was barely dirty at all. It could have easily run another thousand or two thousand rounds and still not have been particularly dirty.

I can't say the same for any of the other guns we shot that day. My Carry Comp was the only gun we shot any serious number of rounds through that did not experience a failure of any kind. In defense of the STIs and the Agency Glock 19 NOC, my buddy's guns arrived at the range pretty filthy. So I was not surprised to see them fail. I keep my guns pretty darn clean and none of my pistols had any failures yesterday. But I didn't put more than 100 rounds through any of the other pistols I brought, so I would not have expected any failures.

Me shooting at some Poppers downrange:

On the timed drills we ran, my Carry Comp proved to be extremely fast for both of us. Mike was very impressed with the recoil reduction of Wilson Carry Comp; we both likened the recoil reduction of the Wilson to some STI race guns he had with him. I had no problem getting 0.5 second splits when shooting double taps at 10" Steel Plates at 10 yards with the Federal Syntech 150gr Action Pistol rounds, and 0.5 - 0.6 second splits with the Syntech 115gr Range and Syntech Defense 138gr ammo. That is noticeably faster than what I get with my non-comped pistols Wilson's and Glocks. With a 10" Plate at 10 yards it would not be uncommon for me to completely miss the plate with on my second shot with my Glock 19. With my Glock 17C I would usually get the 2nd shot on steel when doing double taps, but quite a bit slower than my Carry Comp.

Maybe the most amazing thing is how CLEAN my Carry Comp was after running 1060 rounds of Federal's Clean Buring Syntech Ammo. My Carry Comp Internals after shooting yesterday:

Last edited by Harrish; 11-21-2019 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-21-2019, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Sounds like a heckuva a day !
I've not tried the Syntech before . The internals of your pistol look astoundingly clean after that many rounds . Very impressive .

That's a fine looking WC . Many years ago I had one of their carry comp guns built from a Colt frame/slide . Wish I hadn't let that one get away ...

Thanks very much for the report .

mitch

We remember our friends Art , Chuck , Jim , John , Lou , Roger & Stephen .
Old 11-22-2019, 03:21 PM

A couple of new Pics.

The Three Amigos

Another Shot of The New Guy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2019, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

Two threads same topic. Continue discussion here:
https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=1004214

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Closed Thread