Might be silly questions... - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-11-2019, 11:23 PM

Might be silly questions...

I am hoping to get my first 1911 this coming spring. Just noticed the E Series. Looks like a decent piece of hardware. But I have concerns about replacement parts. I'm guessing most parts are typical 1911 parts. But what about the extractor? It's an external one. Is it available for purchase from the typical only stores, or is it a factory only part? Is the recoil assembly basic G.I. or at least swappable to one?

Sent from my Vivo XL4 using Tapatalk
Then if my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land.
~2 Chronicles 7:14
Old 08-12-2019, 12:13 AM

Everything on that pistol, except for the external extractor, swaps out with standard 1911 parts. As for the extractor, your grandkids or great-grandkids may need a replacement, but it's doubtful that you will. The E-Series are perhaps the best 'bang-for-the buck' out there right now, considering what you get for the retail price. If you find it 'used', it's an even greater bargain. The pistols are good to go as they come out of the box (except for that damned flat MSH that every company insists on putting on), so, except for grips, of course, you may not need to swap much out!

Click image for larger version

Name:	SampW 007_zpsuiw1vy1u.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	438.7 KB
ID:	561958
Old 08-12-2019, 10:15 AM

I’ve had great success with my E series. Only 2 changes I made were swapping grips to G10 and a DP fiber optic. Other than that, have been very happy with this gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2019, 11:29 AM

I have a 2004 S&W 1911 and have put close to 25000 rounds thru it, the extractor works the same as it did day one.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2019, 12:51 PM

Likely hood of failure is slim. I understand that. But if it does go down, how does one get it replaced? Would a Sig extractor work?

Then if my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
Likely hood of failure is slim. I understand that. But if it does go down, how does one get it replaced? Would a Sig extractor work?

Outside of S&W, I couldn't tell you where to find one because I've never looked. If it's a pressing concern, or you're thinking about the line being discontinued at some point, perhaps you could get a couple of spares from S&W and be done with it.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:24 PM

In the chance that somehow the extractor or any part breaks just send it back to S&W, they carry a lifetime warranty on their firearms and have a great customer service dept.

Old 08-12-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by havanajim View Post
Outside of S&W, I couldn't tell you where to find one because I've never looked. If it's a pressing concern, or you're thinking about the line being discontinued at some point, perhaps you could get a couple of spares from S&W and be done with it.
Yeah. I already put in a question to CS to see if this is a part they would sell individually. Just wanted to get some input from folks that own these things. Thanks.

Old 08-12-2019, 03:28 PM

You may not have to send it in, for something like an extractor. I've had them send me items that I needed without even charging shipping. Great company!
Old 08-12-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRAJIM View Post
In the chance that somehow the extractor or any part breaks just send it back to S&W, they carry a lifetime warranty on their firearms and have a great customer service dept.

I own and carry an SD9VE. Great carry tool. My only dislike is the fact that I have to return to factory for simple parts swaps that would require me to 1) be without and 2) trust a shipping company. Just saying. I don't expect them to break, but if a part can be manufactured, then it can be broken.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:15 PM

So got word back from S&W CS and the external extractor is a purchasable part from the factory. These E Series 1911s have shot right to the top of the list now!

Old 09-09-2019, 09:06 PM

I had an early production example that simply couldn't be made to work and S&W sent me a replacement that incorporated the necessary design and production changes.

It's been an excellent 1911 and has proven to be both accurate and reliable.

You'll enjoy owning and shooting one.

Last edited by Oldsalt65; 09-09-2019 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:27 PM

I have an SW1911TA. It's a beautiful gun. It was a gift to me with only 300 rounds. I love everything about it.
Attached Thumbnails
20190822_211959_1569011121735.jpg  
Old 10-12-2019, 08:29 PM

Got less than 6 months to go. The S&W is still the top choice.

Old 10-30-2019, 12:11 PM

It is nice that S&W used the wide Perf Center external safety on the E Series. I have that on an old 945 no dash from the Perf Center that has seen a lot of rounds.

Although I don't have an E series I do have a couple of their cousins from the Perf Center. So far no problems.

The wide safety will pass the extractor test where you drop the mag and fire the pistol and the empty round still ejects.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:17 AM

While I do not have a SW 1911 at this time, I have a 645 I purchased new in the late 80's with the external extractor. I can honestly say this 645 has never failed to extract a single round. The 645 has many, many thousands of rounds through it and I have zero issues with the external extractor. I actually prefer it. One caveat being I have never run steel cased ammo, just tons of brass. I do not like running steel in any of my firearms, personal preference. In my opinion, no issues at all with the external extractors on SW's.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:57 AM

I'm baffled by the constant deriding discussion about the external extractors on the S&W line of pistols.

External extractors dominate the whole world of pistols with the exception of the pure 1911 genre.

Let us not forget that JMB preferred it and it has been a standard since the BHP! And Smith has been perfecting it since the M39 (early 60's!)!

Enough already,

Smiles,
Old 11-09-2019, 05:16 PM

I have a SKU #108282 SW1911 The external extractor
has had zero issues in over 10K rounds

Next?
Old 11-09-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfitch View Post
I'm baffled by the constant deriding discussion about the external extractors on the S&W line of pistols.

External extractors dominate the whole world of pistols with the exception of the pure 1911 genre.

Let us not forget that JMB preferred it and it has been a standard since the BHP! And Smith has been perfecting it since the M39 (early 60's!)!

Enough already,

Smiles,
Umm... K...

I didn't read anything negative about external extractors in this thread. I was just curious if the E Series ones were available to purchase anywhere, since all other parts are basic 1911 and easily obtained in the aftermarket. The external extractor is so reliable, that even Ed Brown is throwing them into some of their offerings.