Homeowner shoots and kills 3 masked men in possible 'stand your ground' case - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 09-17-2019, 12:59 AM

Homeowner shoots and kills 3 masked men in possible 'stand your ground' case

https://abcnews.go.com/US/homeowner-...ll_twopack_hed
Old 09-17-2019, 06:48 AM

Interesting and stand's out in that all 3 thug's were killed (more often than not wound one thug, the rest flee if it is a simple robbery). Not a lot of info, but if the homeowner has no other connection to the 3 thug's he is golden and kudos for being a great shot and performing in combat....On the other hand, if the investigation find's there was some personal connection btwn all involved prior to the incident it could be a more complicated, depending what they find. But on the face of it kudos to the homeowner.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 09-17-2019, 07:11 AM

Saw this on the local news last night. Watch the WSB 2 TV segment on it.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/hom...-say/986744589

At the 1:12 mark, relatives of the dead teens complain about the shooting.

Unbelievable.
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2019, 07:31 AM

Would like to hear more details as well. Like, why was everyone outside at 4 am?
Heres 3 more underage gun deaths for the statistics, which wont ever state that they reportedly initiated their own deaths.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:09 AM

Outside at 04:00?

It sounds like a dope deal gone bad. However they say that no charges have been filed. This begs the question. If you are involved in a fatal shooting, justified or otherwise. Do they run an alcohol and or drug screen on you? I am guessing that it depends on jurisdiction and circumstances.

And then following that. Let us say that you are involved in what is clearly a justifiable shoot with you putting down a thug. Then you are tested. If you turn up dirty for drugs or alcohol, is it still a clean shoot?
Old 09-17-2019, 11:25 AM

Judging from the appearance of the house on the news clips and remarks made by neighbors I would not be surprised if he had some sort of external security system which alerted him to the armed, masked trespassers. He is said to be very protective of his mother who lives with him. Were I in that position I might want to confront the situation outside of the house rather than inside for the protection of the other occupants of the house.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
It sounds like a dope deal gone bad. However they say that no charges have been filed. This begs the question. If you are involved in a fatal shooting, justified or otherwise. Do they run an alcohol and or drug screen on you? I am guessing that it depends on jurisdiction and circumstances.

And then following that. Let us say that you are involved in what is clearly a justifiable shoot with you putting down a thug. Then you are tested. If you turn up dirty for drugs or alcohol, is it still a clean shoot?
Shouldn't be any testing for substances unless there is some probable cause to do so.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:31 PM

My local news had the story this morning, with different footage than what was shown here.

The shooter is an oddball. His yard is posted with at least two pre-printed signs that say No Trespassing. But here's the weird part: The guy personally modified the signs to read:

VIOLATORS WILL BE SHOT

The signs were posted on trees facing the roadway. That's odd. Plus there's the "fiercely protective of his Mom" thing.

What does THAT even mean? Aren't we all? --------- I'm guessing that there are things he said to people that implied violent retaliation to those who would harm his Momma. Again, that's a given for any man that has loved ones. No discussion necessary.

The 4AM timeline is odd too, unless it's from his responding to a camera image as Robert Walsh suggested.

So what do we have here? My guess is that the clearly evil masked & armed home invaders chose this house because the owner openly advertised to the world that he had guns (valuables) to steal.

The neighbors also knew that he had long arm. So he had made that public information as well.

This whole thing makes me think there's more to this story and the homeowner's behavior than what we've seen so far.

And, NO, I do not feel any sympathy for the teens. They gambled & lost. That's how it goes for scumbags.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by combat auto View Post
Interesting and stand's out in that all 3 thug's were killed (more often than not wound one thug, the rest flee if it is a simple robbery).
Sounds like the homeowner used an EBR. Given the fact that 99% of the time an ordinary .22 rifle is enough to defend yourself with an EBR was definitely more than enough firepower to give the homeowner a commanding lead over his pistol-wielding adversaries.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote from a male relative of one of the teens from an article on Defense Maven...

But one of the teens' relatives argued that the homeowner reacted excessively to being shot at.

"That's not how it's supposed to go," the man declared. "I understand one shot to stop the people, the victims or whatever, but aggressively to shoot these little teens, that's overkill. That's too much to handle."

Excuse me!

A) When did the three masked teens become 'victims or whatever'?

B) One has a gun and shoots at him. Was he supposed to take one shot to deter the shooter and then wait to see if the other 2 if they were armed?
Old 09-19-2019, 09:27 PM

So this really begs the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy1949 View Post
Quote from a male relative of one of the teens from an article on Defense Maven...

[COLOR="Blue"][I]But one of the teens' relatives argued that the homeowner reacted excessively to being shot at.

B) One has a gun and shoots at him. Was he supposed to take one shot to deter the shooter and then wait to see if the other 2 if they were armed?
Where exactly is the dividing line between reacting excessively, and acting appropriately when being fired upon with clearly mortal intent?
Old 09-19-2019, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy1949 View Post

But one of the teens' relatives argued that the homeowner reacted excessively to being shot at.

"That's not how it's supposed to go," the man declared. "I understand one shot to stop the people, the victims or whatever, but aggressively to shoot these little teens, that's overkill. That's too much to handle."

Excuse me!

A) When did the three masked teens become 'victims or whatever'?

Unfortunately this is a story as old as gunfights. Even back in the Old West bad guys were always whining that they were the victims and had been brutalized by the victor. Remember the gunfight at the OK Corral, for example?
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 10-26-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
Where exactly is the dividing line between reacting excessively, and acting appropriately when being fired upon with clearly mortal intent?
Violent thugs demand a "fair fight" but only after they have lost the upper hand.