Jogger kills Cougar - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-06-2019, 11:23 PM

I would bet that it was entirely instinctive. No time to think. Just move away from the claws and teeth or move them away from you. Strangling or choking was the only practical option so he did it. Succeed or die kind of thing. Just hard to do it successfully and most people would have failed.

I'm really puzzled why the cat didn't get him with its claws though. Just my experience with house cats has shown how formidable a cat's claws are when scared or determined - even a very small young cat that weighs only 7 or 8 pounds. Young or not, with the size of this cat and the fact it knew enough to try to kill a man - it's a miracle he pulled this off without getting severly clawed up.

Last edited by toofew1911s; 02-06-2019 at 11:33 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryO45 View Post
Without a doubt, if I killed a lion with my bare hands I would get a taxidermy to make me a hat out of it... itís long tail down my back. I would wear it everyday. Tell that to Davy Crockett.
1911 x this!

The guy in question has balls of brass and nerves of steel!

-Garth
Old 02-07-2019, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofew1911s View Post
I would bet that it was entirely instinctive. No time to think. Just move away from the claws and teeth or move them away from you. Strangling or choking was the only practical option so he did it. Succeed or die kind of thing. Just hard to do it successfully and most people would have failed.

I'm really puzzled why the cat didn't get him with its claws though. Just my experience with house cats has shown how formidable a cat's claws are when scared or determined - even a very small young cat that weighs only 7 or 8 pounds. Young or not, with the size of this cat and the fact it knew enough to try to kill a man - it's a miracle he pulled this off without getting severly clawed up.
They didn't say in the story anything about the cats health. Humans are not normally part of their food chain. Attacking in a situation like this is as far as I know an act of desperation. He was probably starving and weakened from lack of food. Weakness not just of the body, but mind as well. Not to take anything away from this mans ordeal and fight of his life, but there is probably more to the story as it were.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:02 AM

Maybe the fight ended with the jogger behind the cat in a kind of headlock stranglehold.

Or right in the cat's face, between the hind legs. And he DID get scratched up.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
Maybe the fight ended with the jogger behind the cat in a kind of headlock stranglehold.

Or right in the cat's face, between the hind legs. And he DID get scratched up.
I'm sure he ended up behind the cat, as that is the only way the claws couldn't reach him. When I think about it, here is where the large size of the cat probably worked against it. With a small cat, they twist and turn and there is almost no way to hold on to a feral cat or wild house cat that is determined to get away. Lots of experience that way, including raising and trapping feral cats. But a 75 pound cat gives a person something to hang on to and wedge against - not allowing it to turn and twist and flip it's rear legs and claws over its head.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:23 PM

Jump

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofew1911s View Post
I'm sure he ended up behind the cat, as that is the only way the claws couldn't reach him. When I think about it, here is where the large size of the cat probably worked against it. With a small cat, they twist and turn and there is almost no way to hold on to a feral cat or wild house cat that is determined to get away. Lots of experience that way, including raising and trapping feral cats. But a 75 pound cat gives a person something to hang on to and wedge against - not allowing it to turn and twist and flip it's rear legs and claws over its head.
For those whoíve seen a puma jump, it would be incredible to imagine a man resisting those hind legs in a catís disembowelling move. A jump uses the same major muscles. Resist once, maybe ... but with no flesh remaining on oneís forearms, the 2nd stroke would be redundant. And fighting cats do strokes -fast-.

Maybe pumas donít use that stroke ... Iíve never seen one make a kill on an animal large enough to use it. Other cats do use that stroke - roughly sternum to pubis; perhaps I was jumping to conclusions.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:13 PM
Administrator

I guess this puts a new spin on the phrase "armed citizen". Just don't let the anti-gunners know or else they'll be telling us that no one needs a gun for protection against wild animals either... just be a man and use your bare hands.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
I guess this puts a new spin on the phrase "armed citizen". Just don't let the anti-gunners know or else they'll be telling us that no one needs a gun for protection against wild animals either... just be a man and use your bare hands.
or since we now know that suffocation works on these large carnivores, just bring a plastic bag with you to place over their heads and hold it there - easy peasy. No need for actual firearms.

Sadly, there logic isn't far removed from either scenario.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:08 AM

Typical scenario for a anti-gunner, sees a large wild animal outside their home, call the police, wait 45 minutes for the 911 operator, who then informs them that they need to call animal control, so then they call animal control, which informs them to call back during normal business hours. So they wait and call when animal control is open, and are informed that all agents are busy and they will send someone out in a few days. Yup, all is going well in leftist utopia.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
Typical scenario for a anti-gunner, sees a large wild animal outside their home, call the police, wait 45 minutes for the 911 operator, who then informs them that they need to call animal control, so then they call animal control, which informs them to call back during normal business hours. So they wait and call when animal control is open, and are informed that all agents are busy and they will send someone out in a few days. Yup, all is going well in leftist utopia.

While somewhere in a red state...

Compliments of Gary Larsen, The Far Side...

Last edited by FightinTXAggie; 02-08-2019 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:35 AM

What's the big deal? This lady broke up a mountain lion fight by herself and her husband dispatched the beast the proper way, with a firearm, and no mention of either of them being scratched up or bitten!
https://fox13now.com/2019/02/05/idah...-lion-instead/
Old 02-08-2019, 02:19 PM

Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinTXAggie View Post
While somewhere in a red state...
Compliments of Gary Larsen, The Far Side...
All in the title.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedodger View Post
What's the big deal? This lady broke up a mountain lion fight by herself and her husband dispatched the beast the proper way, with a firearm, and no mention of either of them being scratched up or bitten!
https://fox13now.com/2019/02/05/idah...-lion-instead/
In this article, the mentioned that the dog and lady got scratches, from the encounter. She pulled the animals apart realsized she had a mountain lion in hand and yelled for her husband to get a gun. Sort of trapped herself by grabbing a "tiger by the tail" and she couldn't let go kind of situation.

ref https://www.yahoo.com/news/woman-bre...190309480.html
Old 02-10-2019, 09:28 AM

of course my comment above was just being cynical, especially now that I find out she got scratched up. Not the woman I thought she was. ha ha
Old 02-10-2019, 11:56 AM

I still get visions of that Sierra Trading Post Commercial when reading this thread.
The progressive hikers terrorized by a beaver on the trail.
https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wSTS/sierra-...ight-or-flight
Old 03-17-2019, 01:09 AM

I am impressed by this man's actions.

I once (many years ago), had to kill a small wild 30/+- lb animal with my bare hands.
took weeks for my hands to heal.
They fight like - well, wild animals...
The animal had to be tested for rabies, as it was unusual for it to attack a human.

AC

(Did I mention that I am the only person that I know that killed a skunk in hand to claw combat).

True story
Old 05-29-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Without a doubt, if I killed a lion with my bare hands I would get a taxidermy to make me a hat out of it... itís long tail down my back. I would wear it everyday. Tell that to Davy Crockett.
I would have them make me a new pair of underwear as the one's I had would most likely not be suitable for wearing....
Old 05-30-2019, 05:39 AM

80 lbs is a fairly small cougar. A youngster that hasn't developed it's hunting skills and likely starving. That is good reason not only for it's size and attacking a human, but prob'ly for lack of strength and stamina as well. If the jogger managed to get on top of the cat, it may have tried to escape and been belly down when the jogger pinned it. A sleeper hold even after a short fight would have put the cat out fairly quickly.

Not an expert, but that just seems the most likely scenario to me.
You may know a thing and it is not true. But in understanding that thing there can be ONLY truth. And to understand, you will need contrast. NOT adherence to a single idea. The truth is in the contrast.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Absolutely. Amazing feat.