Guncrafter Industries- Up Close Look - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-18-2019, 12:27 PM

Guncrafter Industries- Up Close Look

A month or so ago I reached out to Derek at GI (DPGI) to see if they had a shop on site that I could look at a few of their 1911 offerings. I quickly got a response that said we don't really have a shop but come on down anyways. Being only 45 minutes from GI it took us a couple of weeks to set a time that was convenient and it sure was worth the wait.

During that time I acquired my first GI, a NN CCO in 9mm. That gun was purchased from Tyler at Cajun Concealed who I have dealt with several times in the past. Side note: If you want to create a bad ass 1911, give Tyler a shout, he is very knowledgeable, honest, and easy to deal with.

I roll up to GI with my folks (who were in town from NC) into a beautiful part of Arkansas that could also double as the perfect prepper's paradise. Derek is waiting out front and takes us right into their shop. Once we entered the shop we noticed that there was a lot of action in very limited space. During the tour this caused us to squeeze by people working on new firearms. Even though that was a little uncomfortable for me, because I don't like to interfere, each person seemed happy (or at least not annoyed) that we were there. No matter who the question came from (me, mom, or dad) they took the time to share their craft with us. From Alex (owner) to the boys is the shed each person seemed genuine. Even on the way out there were several that took the time to show us their current project and discussed their personal likes/dislikes. Another side note: At no point in time from the first time I reached out to Derek to the time I left did any person ask me if I owned a GI, was interested in buying a GI, or even knew anything about their company.

Back to my GI NN! Like a tourist with a camera I walk into their place with my new NN (No Name CCO) to show it off! So what happens when I do that? Alex, the master himself, puts it through another inspection and checks it out for me, runs a few rounds through it, cleans it up and give it right back to me. The fact that Alex inspects each one of his guns before they leave is no joke. When I got there, there he was putting the final inspection on a GI / Stan Chen collaboration that was headed down to Tyler at Cajun Concealed. That gun, hard chrome, blended magwell, fancy checkering can't be described any other way than effin genius.

The fun! Derek then took us down to the range to let us shoot the one that started it all, the .50GI (the large controllable mass). The first shot I took knocked a steel silhouette off the wall! This is one really cool round. Anybody on the fence about this should go for it.

Here are a few other observations from the visit:

- The X2 Hellcat really feels good in the hand. While I like commanders, I really was surprised by how good the government size felt. Not as bulky or heavy feeling as I imagined or experienced in other 2011's.

- The side to frame fit on some 10 or so guns I looked at were all amazing. They only difference you could tell from the 9mm to the 50 was the spring weight. They all glide just like they should.

- They are good, humble, and real people you are supporting when you purchase their product. They take pride of their work and truly care about the customers experience with their guns.

- They are really, really good at what they do. The projects I saw were thoughtfully put together and executed with extreme precision. There was nothing at GI that seemed like they were flying by the seat of their pants. They say 50+ or so man hours that goes into their guns, I believe it after seeing it in person!

- The new GI / CZ is quite the looker. The best case coloring I have seen done on a frame.

- Lots of customization. I didn't see any two guns that were remotely the same. Each gun seemed individually ordered. No production 1911's here.

In the end, I really appreciate Derek and GI for taking the time to show my family and I around. This was a unique experience that we will never forget. An experience that made me want to put the good word out there about GI. Not everybody can get their hands on one or even shoot one if they are thinking about ordering, but if you every have questions for an average joe that has now seen several and shot a few, I would be more than willing to give my honest opinion about their products and customer service.

Last edited by MitchRapp13; 04-18-2019 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:03 PM

Excellent report! I am hooked also. I thought I loved my Browns...
Old 04-18-2019, 08:18 PM

They are great pistols. Thanks for the report.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2019, 06:00 PM

I'm waiting on a NN in Turnbull blue which I ordered from Tyler. He is top-notch.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:41 PM

My GI is an absolute work of art.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:00 PM

Sounds like a great visit! Curious, did they have stations like Baer where every person performs their specific operation to the gun or do they have one person do most of the work on a gun like NH?
Old 04-22-2019, 10:55 PM

Gun Fan. They had stations setup where each person preformed their own task with the firearm. I think there is validity to both ways of operation. The last station at GI is quality control from the owner. It’s nice to know he puts his hands and signature on each firearm.

Cop Out. If I were to place an order today, I would really struggle deciding between turnbull blue and hard chrome. Beautiful guns!

Last edited by MitchRapp13; 04-22-2019 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:33 PM

Thanks for the reply. I agree with both methods producing great results