1911Forum banner

Texas CHL Qualification with SF

3K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Rastoff 
#1 · (Edited)
Took my 2nd renewal class for my TX CHL Friday evening and used my Special Forces to do the range qualification.

Score: 100%. No flyers no malfunctions. What more can I say..... Here is the course of fire:

3 yard line - 20 shots:
1 shot in 2 seconds, 5 times
2 shots in 3 seconds, 5 times
5 shots in 10 seconds, once

7 yard line - 20 shots:
5 shots in 10 seconds, once
1 shot in 3 seconds, 5 times
2 shots in 4 seconds, once
3 shots in 6 seconds, once
5 shots in 15 seconds, once

15 yard line - 10 shots:
2 shots in 6 seconds, once
3 shots in 9 seconds, once
5 shots in 15 seconds, once

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow! When I got mine, we had to hit something like seven shots out of ten at seven yards, untimed, at a very large target. The weather was bad that day so we all shot a .22 revolver inside using caps or shorts the LGS had. I started to shoot a smiley face but decided I didn't want to be THAT guy. :)

#5 ·
Wow. In Michigan, we don't have to qualify at all for the license. I didn't even have to "qualify" for the initial license. We are required to spend X hours range time (2-4, I forget) after you take your class for the first time. After that, it's just $ to the county every 5 years.

I really wish that we were required to qualify, I would feel a little bit better about others walking around armed. My class was hysterical (in a bad way). I was 21 at the time. They told us that if we could follow all safety rules throughout the entire day, we'd all get our money back. I laughed out loud, and the one instructor snickered also. The main instructor gave me the squinty eye and asked "What's so funny?". I told him I knew I wouldn't be seeing any refunds. Within the next 8 minutes we were allowed to approach the imaginary firing line (work bench) and grab our guns. I counted at least 6-7 people who picked up with their finger on the trigger right off the bat...

#6 ·
2 shots in 3 seconds, 5 times.... Assumes a reload? How many did you have in the mag? Did they force any other types of reload?

Great shooting.

I qualified with a Wilson KZ45. Passed without concern, sold that gun and bought my first Brown. Single stack and all steel all the way from that day on.

#7 ·
2 shots in 3 seconds, 5 times.... Assumes a reload? How many did you have in the mag? Did they force any other types of reload?
2 shots in 3 seconds is a set, repeated 5 separate times. Most shooting drills described in this manner are performed in the same fashion. ex: "shooter ready? Fire.. Bang - Bang. Shooter's cease fire.." repeat 4 more times.

#8 ·
Congrats on the perfect score.....

"Qualifying" to be "allowed" to exercise a god given right......mummm - kay....:scratch:

Kinda glad I live in Indiana when it comes to this kinda stuff....

No offense intended to the OP, but this "qualifying" crap gets under my freedom loving skin....

#11 · (Edited)
My point is that reloads should be a part of qualification or wish they would.
Why? I understand the desirability to do so but a great many never even carry a reload. The intent of qualifying for a CHL is to insure someone is reasonably safe with a gun; i.e., can hit a target. It has nothing to do with being a member of Seal Team Six. Quite frankly, this is an elitist mentality. What about open carry? That is a constitutional right in my state and doesn't require any license or permit. How is carrying concealed any different except my state constitution says the state can regulate it? I mean, do you even support the right to keep and bear arms?

#12 · (Edited)
jbar1tex said:
My point is that reloads should be a part of qualification or wish they would.
That's just silly.

If you believe the stats, the average gunfight (non LE) will involve no more than 5 shots. Most people who carry probably carry some high cap 9mm with 14-18 rounds.

Most people I know who carry guns like that don't even carry a reload with them.

That's completely aside from the fact that we shouldn't even be TAKING a test for a right, which is another topic altogether.

jbar1tex said:
I too would be wary of simply paying a fee for a carry license.
You should probably stay out of places like Arizona then. Can you believe they allow citizens to just strap on a gun and carry it with no permits or tests at all? I mean, you read every day about all the shootings caused by this kind of.... oh nevermind, I can't even do it with a straight face.

#13 ·
Fellas... yeesh...

For the record, I am a firm beleiver of the 2nd Am - but I am not neccessairly Ted Nugent either. Where did I say or even elude to that angle within this thread? I was only saying - that if someone - anyone - wherever is going to carry, as a citizen who carries, I like the fact that atleast they went through some trainging vs. stood in line and paid a fee.

And my point of a reload - regardless of the common, non LEO, gun fight - and not Seal Team six crap, is just common sense in my humble opinion. If one chooses to carry a reload or not - the simple act of doing so is something I beleive one should practice. In the scenario of this original thread there was one sequence where using a 1911 it assumes there was a reload - just was asking... nothing more.

Seal Team six - c'mon man... its a reload practice scheme - hell I never mentioned tactical reloads...

#18 ·
Fellas... yeesh...

For the record, I am a firm beleiver of the 2nd Am -
Not really....you take it ALL or take none of it. What part of "shall NOT be infinged" do you not understand??

Fellas... yeesh...

For the record, I am a firm beleiver of the 2nd Am - but I am not neccessairly Ted Nugent either. Where did I say or even elude to that angle within this thread? I was only saying - that if someone - anyone - wherever is going to carry, as a citizen who carries, I like the fact that atleast they went through some trainging vs. stood in line and paid a fee.
For the record, I believe training under qualified instructors is definatly a GOOD thing. I have more hours of training under my belt than most LEOs and definatly more than the average "permit" holder. HOWEVER, this is where personal responsibility of the INDIVIDUAL comes into play. It is NOT nor should it be the governments (state, federal, or otherwise) place to tell anyone thay have to "qualify" to be "allowed" to exercise their given rights.

#14 ·
I was only saying - that if someone - anyone - wherever is going to carry, as a citizen who carries, I like the fact that atleast they went through some trainging vs. stood in line and paid a fee.
The Texas CHL class isn't really "training" in any sense of the word. There is some legal discussion and then a shooting course which, and this is not a made up story, legally blind people have passed.

There is no requirement in Texas to be trained, there is simply a requirement to pass a VERY simple shooting exam. So simple in fact that I've never heard of anyone failing it, though I'm sure there have been a few somewhere.

So what good does it really do then? In fact the Texas legislature seems to agree it doesn't do much good since they have changed the law such that now after a couple of renewals you no longer have to shoot the test.

And what would forcing someone to do a reload even prove? What are the pass/fail criteria for your required reload test? 10 minutes? 3 seconds? Who decides? You going to require the revolver shooters to do a reload too?

This kind of stuff is simply a bad idea once you open the door to it.

#15 ·
It's funny people are arguing over a right clearly written in the Constitution. Do people forget this was the 2nd Amendement???? Second infact cause it was thought that important.. It wasn't the 10th Amendment. Do you think they qualified with muskets and flintlocks back in the day? Or was it more like, hey, we're not going to be slaves to our goverment or people that threaten us or our families? I do understand the point of view of have training though. But you shouldn't have to pay money for a permit to buy or carry firearms. Do you buy a permit before you use your free speech right?

#16 ·
Agree with the above too - especially when I look at the angle of the comments. I do not believe we should even have to have a permit. And yes the qualification is not training - good point indeed.

In my class, the guy next to me failed. Could not follow the instructions or the sequences and since I could see where he was shooting - missed many. In fact he hit the ceiling which was the straw that broke the camels back with the instructor. Guess since I saw it with my own two eyes, and have friends in the LEO world who have their own stories, I just like that we do have "some" qualification vs. none. (2nd Am not withstanding, of course).

To the OP - again good shooting, my re-qual class comes up next year. Will pay my fee and take my test like the law states and wish I lived in Vermont, but glad I dont live in California or Illinois or New Jersey. :dope:

#19 ·
Score: 100%. No flyers...
First things first Stu, pics or it didn't happen.:biglaugh: I'm just messin' with ya. Good shooting.

I understand what you are saying jbar1tex. I got the same kind of responses when I mentioned that people should practice. :rolleyes:

In California, the test is much simpler. We have to place 20 un-timed rounds in a silhouette from 7 yards. I was staggered to discover that this was a difficult test for some of the shooters. Out of the 18 in my class, I'll bet I was one of only 3 or 4 that had even fired their gun since the last CCW class. A couple didn't even know how to operate their gun.

Why is reloading such a big deal? You have to reload sometime. Also, if you're not carrying an extra magazine, you should consider it. Every mechanical device has the potential to malfunction. What if you experience a malfunction? Wouldn't you want another mag for just such an occasion? Wouldn't you at least want to know how to clear it?

#20 ·
Thanks Rastoff - was starting to question my own 2nd Am thoughts. Practice? Practice? The founding fathers never mentioned practicing? :biglaugh: (That is a joke before anyone tee's me back up.)

I agree with the reload - albeit not required, but certianly a supporter of carrying a reload obviously. One of our distinguished members here was discussing the importance of a reload. Even sent a link to a story from Salt Lake City where a mall shooting occurred. Inside was an off duty LEO with his son, had a 1911 and no reload. He expired his only mag without taking out the bad guy. Bad guy got his son in the exchange. Sad story. But what hit home was I was at that mall not all that long before this occurred. From that reading, I carry a reload and yes I do practice both empty and tactical.
YMMV...

#22 ·
KyJim,
You are a man among men. Few are man enough to admit they are wrong and even less will do it openly.

I re-read your first post and while you may have gone a little over the top at the end, the initial question was reasonable. This is why these forums are valuable. We discuss this stuff here so, we don't have to think about it when the chips are down. This is all part of preparing for that which we hope to never use.

Life is too short to carry an ugly gun. To me, a pretty gun is one with lots of use on it. Shoot well and intelligently.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.