1911Forum banner

Staccato P

36K views 135 replies 21 participants last post by  Kevin Rohrer 
#1 ·
Good evening everyone! I recently purchased a STI Staccato P and was told by the director of LE sales from STI that Safariland would be releasing a line of holsters for the staccato P because there were multiple departments that have opted to issue the staccato. I have emailed safariland directly as well as holsterops (a safariland dealer) and in the two months that has gone by I have not received any response. Has anyone ever dealt with safariland customer service and had this bad of a time?

#78 ·
Well, I just got a disturbing email from Buck about my order.

The short answer is that STI no longer makes the Staccato in .45 or any other caliber other than the Wonder-9 due to low sales.

I am in the hunt for a Duo in .45ACP.

#80 ·
Yep. I just bought it. Thanks!

#81 ·
I have a Leopold sight enroute; the pistol should arrive Monday evening, but will have to wait a few extra days for the sight due to them being so popular.

I know what holster I will be getting (the Ted Blocker 402), but need to get mag pouches. What are the 120mm (10-round .45) mags comparable to for Glocks or other fat mags? Am guessing not many mag pouch makers will have them for the STI.

#82 ·
Congrats on the 45 P! I have the 9 version. I should've ordered the 45 as well.

I just sent in my order for the new Staccato C2 this morning. I ordered more mags since it will be compatible with the P.

Now that I think about it, I probably should've ordered the DUO version...

#84 ·
Yeah, I know. I ordered some 120mm mags just for the C2. The bigger mags will be shared by both.

This is my current P carry setup. I just removed the magwell. It feels better to me. When I ordered my P, I ordered an extra 126mm mag and two 140mm mags.

Not sure what mags come with the C2 but I ordered an extra 120mm, 126mm, and two 170mm mags just to round out the collection. I like having 10+ mags for each gun.

#85 ·
It will be interesting to see what models are available in calibers other than Wonder-9. Their web site has not been updated, nor have I been able to glean that info from their FB page.

#86 ·
I think for the short (or mid) term it’s going to be 9mm only. Buck their LEO rep recently joined a couple forums and stated that 45 sales were almost non existent so they were pulled from the current lineup. If there’s a demand they’ll bring out other calibers. No reason to spend resources producing a gun that will not sell, especially if you can’t keep up with demand for models that are selling.

#89 ·
I was lucky enough to get a private tour of their production facilities and offices about a year ago. With the internal changes they have made and a dedication to putting out top quality pistols (including bringing in Dave Dawson as exec in charge of quality) they were only putting out about 35 guns a day with a goal of hitting 50. You can only find so many qualified smiths to do the work, they closed their custom shop and pulled some of the top warranty smiths to put on the production line. I think they’re up to 65 guns a day now but compared to mass produced guns like Kimber that’s small potatoes.

#91 ·
Even 35-new 1911s a day from one manufacturer sounds like a huge number to me, especially considering how the 1911 neigh-sayers keep harping on how that platform is dead. Ha!

Update: The Leopold got here today. Am hoping the "P" gets here tomorrow, which means it goes to the range Thursday.

#92 ·
Well, it arrived today. The Leopold is mounted; am hoping I have the Locktite in the right locations. It goes to the range tomorrow morning. And yes, it is in God's Caliber.

#94 ·
Back from the range.

It shot good, although the trigger has a longer pull than what I am used to. The trigger is also too long for my short fingers, so will be checking w/ Buck on a replacement.

I sighted-in the Leopold and was surprised how much my shooting tighten-up at 25 yards. Had no problem keeping both eyes open. Am very impressed by both the pistol and sight.

It goes to the range again tomorrow and I will be letting a 1911 gunsmith/friend shoot it, also. Need to order a duty holster and mag pouches for it. I will be sticking w/ the 11-round mags for work.

#96 ·
This will be a duty weapon, so the pull needs to stay a 4.5lbs (have not determined the pull; back to see my gunsmith/friend).

#110 ·
So i reached out to safariland regarding the 2019 staccato p without RDS and was told there wont be holsters specific to 2019 staccato p without RDS and I would have to modify a springfield trp version but they would not guarentee the retention would work. 😒 guess I wait to find out about the new blackhawk t series..

#113 ·
Yeah since I bought my staccato last year in I believe march or April, I have been being told an ALS for the p with tlr 1 hl will be available soon. Now I am being told none at all. Seems like handful of people spoke with blackhawk during shotshow and they seem to believe a t series will be released for the staccato. Hopefully not only for one with rds.

#112 ·
I am going to be in the north side of Austin tomorrow. I was planning on stopping by STI to handle the new versions of Staccatos. Hopefully they let me in as I called last week and left a VM with no response yet.

If I like them, I am not going fwd with a sales order until duty holsters are available. :(

#114 ·
I am going to be in the north side of Austin tomorrow. I was planning on stopping by STI to handle the new versions of Staccatos. Hopefully they let me in as I called last week and left a VM with no response yet.

If I like them, I am not going fwd with a sales order until duty holsters are available.
Ya I wouldn't have pulled the trigger so fast had I known I would be left in the dark with no duty holster option unless I modify an existing holster to which safariland wont guarentee the fit or functionality.

#116 ·
Guys, Ted Blocker and probably others will make you a duty holster for whatever gun you want. I hope to have my model-402 in <one month.

Of greater concern is whether STI will be here next year. Their communication skills are pretty much non-existent, which does not speak well for a company needing to improve its reputation.

It will be interesting what SW finds (hopefully not a smoking crater) when he goes there tomorrow.

#117 · (Edited)
I made it to STI..... thats what it said on the building :biglaugh:

I got lucky and a couple of huge fails.

I was told they normally dont have any completed guns on hand as everything ships out because of backlog, however I got lucky as they still had a Staccato P and Staccato P DUO that were on display at the Shot Show.

Got to handle them (2020 models)....fit was good for my 3XL hand, however I still felt the pinch point on my inside thumb from the edge of the thumb safety. It would be up to me to modify the thumb safety (roll the edge).

Here are the fails X 2.

I was packing my MCOP on a duty belt. I took both my duty holsters which are older 6360s one with a light and the other not. I also had my older 600 lumen Surefire X300U.

Drum roll......
I attempted to install the NON DUO in the non-lighted holster and the fail was the front corner of the trigger guard. DOH.... I had heated this holster sometime back to tighten the slop with my MCOP. Well the holster kydex was reshaped in the trigger guard bottom and that was the block from further install. :bawling:

If I had to guess..... it would have gone further..... but thats all I could guess. FAIL #1.

Drum roll......
I attempted to put my older Surefire X300U on the DUO and it would not fit on the rail. The rail dimensions are definitely beefier than my Springer Operator rail, which goes on snug. FAIL #2. :bawling:

As much as I hate to say this..... I drove away with a huge unknown. No current Level III duty holster support and a couple of failed tests with my own equipment. I will move STI from the back burner into the refrigerator as I am not willing to buy and not able to carry on duty.

By policy I have to carry Level III retention. I am not willing to drift to another platform as we are DEEP in 6300 and 7300 series holsters for duty and training. That is what we use at the dept and academy.

Nice pistol. I will continue on with my MCOP or LTT.

On a positive note.... I ate at SLAB BBQ (North Austin) and their pulled pork sammwich with Jalas was amazing. :rock:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.