1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-22-2020, 03:13 PM

How do you reach Colt Customer Service?

Hello all!

I recently purchased a O1991 new, and the rear site fell off. Literally. Too small for the dove tail.

I've searched and searched to no avail. I've called the Colt Customer Service number 40+ times (you read that right) and no one answers. Ever. Most times it's the line is closed and you can't leave a message. I've left two messages after having to wait over 18 minutes each time. There are no email addresses on their site, and am frustrated.

It's like they've closed up shop and aren't doing business anymore. I thought Kimber's customer service was bad, but at least they answer the phone.

Any help or suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Are you calling 1-800-962-COLT? Also remember they were closed on Monday. Like most large companies they are not the best at getting ahold of, but if you call during non-peak hours you should manage to reach a live human.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:48 PM

Yes, that is the number I've called every day, multiple times a day, for over a week. No answers, no return calls, no live bodies at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2020, 07:37 PM

Don't forget strong possibility that it's all hands on deck at Shot Show. Till Friday then things should get back to normal next week.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:44 PM

Unfortunately, I've experienced the same and currently on week 7 on my Delta Elite's second return trip. Their customer service is the worst I've seen and will be selling the pistol once and 'if' I get it back. Colt has had the pistol 12 of the 13 week's I've owned it. Terrible experience. Luckily, my other 1911's are Dan Wesson's.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:08 PM

Colt's customer service for me is Nighthawk Custom or perhaps some other reputable pistol smith. When my Defender was malfunctioning, I sent it to Fusion. They did a great job. It wasn't free, but it was speedy and right.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:33 PM

Call at 9am east coast time when they first open. Otherwise you’re SOL.

Personally, I’d rather pay a local smithy to put in a better rear sight than trying to use Colt to fix that problem.

I had a CCO that show 7” low at 7-yards. Sent back to Colt. Took six months to get it repaired. To be fair, I asked for steel MSH replacement and they threw it in for free.

My next lightweight commander had the same issue. Took it to local smithy to have him slap in a 10-8 rear sight. A lot quicker turnaround with a much better rear sight.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:35 PM

something has to be wrong like others have said ... maybe the shot show ..

I have had great phone experiences with Colt in the past ... they are often busy and the level of help offered varies from call to call ... be polite and , if needed , agree to return call ....
Old 01-22-2020, 08:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pickard View Post
Hello all!

I recently purchased a O1991 new, and the rear site fell off. Literally. Too small for the dove tail.

I've searched and searched to no avail. I've called the Colt Customer Service number 40+ times (you read that right) and no one answers. Ever. Most times it's the line is closed and you can't leave a message. I've left two messages after having to wait over 18 minutes each time. There are no email addresses on their site, and am frustrated.

It's like they've closed up shop and aren't doing business anymore. I thought Kimber's customer service was bad, but at least they answer the phone.

Any help or suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thanks.
If your dealer is worth a plug nickel, he ought to be willing to handle this for you. He ought to be contacting Colt and shipping the gun back to them for you. If he won't, then find a new dealer.

On a new or recently purchased gun....we handle all warranty returns like this.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortec View Post
Colt's customer service for me is Nighthawk Custom or perhaps some other reputable pistol smith. When my Defender was malfunctioning, I sent it to Fusion. They did a great job. It wasn't free, but it was speedy and right.
+1 Exactly

The 2nd Amendment: The original Homeland Security Bill
Old 01-22-2020, 09:32 PM

You'd think they would have a recording if they closed up for a week or so. The last time i called was earlier in the year, a few times actually and they answered quickly everytime. Sorry, that sounds frustrating.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Call at 9am east coast time when they first open. Otherwise youíre SOL.

Personally, Iíd rather pay a local smithy to put in a better rear sight than trying to use Colt to fix that problem.

I had a CCO that show 7Ē low at 7-yards. Sent back to Colt. Took six months to get it repaired. To be fair, I asked for steel MSH replacement and they threw it in for free.

My next lightweight commander had the same issue. Took it to local smithy to have him slap in a 10-8 rear sight. A lot quicker turnaround with a much better rear sight.
I concur and will go that route. I know I can just tap the rear site with a punch to raise the metal and call it good, but it would have been nice to actually discuss the issue. Still, you'd think that Colt would invest more into customer service. I don't expect perfection, but taking care of customers seems like just good business to me.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:05 AM

That is sad news. I own a few Colts.
The last work I had done was by Wilson, but there was not a defect.
Novak does that work. Send the slide and pick the sights you need.
Not liking the fact that Colt CS is slacking. Makes no sense to me.
Good luck.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:06 AM

You can just send the slide to Novak by itself. I had him do several slides. Excellent work and service.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:20 PM

Or you could just slide a Harrison Retro in it and tighten the set screw...

ETA - though you shouldnít have to... shame they donít have a good manager active on the forums that really takes care of the customer...

Last edited by PM7-10; 01-23-2020 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-23-2020, 01:56 PM

I have had pretty good luck in the early afternoon their time and not on Monday or Friday and not around the Holidays or major gun shows (SHOT, NRA).
Old 01-23-2020, 03:13 PM

I called the Archive line the other day in regard to researching a SAA serial number.
Left a mssg and within five mins Paul called me back. I gave him the serial number and he confirmed original configuration for me.
Maybe call that line and get somebody to then transfer you to a LIVE person?
COTEP#782
Old 01-23-2020, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62Kolectr View Post
I called the Archive line the other day in regard to researching a SAA serial number.
Left a mssg and within five mins Paul called me back. I gave him the serial number and he confirmed original configuration for me.
Maybe call that line and get somebody to then transfer you to a LIVE person?

The folks at Archives are a totally separate company. That happed many sleeps ago. They arenít even neighbors.

Colt Mfg. LLC (note the LLC) ownership is buried 3 deep in the who owns who this week/year. Colt is decimal dust in the grand scheme of things. There is no one in the food chain whose ROI has anything to do with that CS phone at Colt. I own Colts, love my Colts but the company we knew is now only a small line entry in a frequently traded conglomerate maze. Several years ago I logged 6 gun years of prepaid work/wait time involving 4 guns. If you must send a gun to Colt for work you will need patience and a bunch of it. I lost my confidence in their customerís service ability to function to my expectation. I share this as an opinion based on experience and history not to bad mouth Colt. I wish the employees, investors and customers the best. Iím just done with the service side.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:35 PM

I did not know that. Thanks Storm.
I was quite surprised by how quick he called me back and told me everything I wanted to know.
COTEP#782