Poor accuracy in 9mm Range Officer - Page 4 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-01-2017, 10:14 AM

That's discouraging! My RO has been at the gunsmiths for 10 weeks now and I'm itching to get it back. Now I'm wondering if I should just sell it immediately when I get it back. The RO was supposed to be my dream gun. Thats why I spend the extra money. Now I want to go away from the 1911 all together. Not sure if if I can actually do it. Those polymer guns are getting better accuracy.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter223 View Post
That's discouraging! My RO has been at the gunsmiths for 10 weeks now and I'm itching to get it back. Now I'm wondering if I should just sell it immediately when I get it back. The RO was supposed to be my dream gun. Thats why I spend the extra money. Now I want to go away from the 1911 all together. Not sure if if I can actually do it. Those polymer guns are getting better accuracy.
I hear what you are saying. I bought a Rock Island Armory 1911, installed a new EGW barrel bushing on it and it outshoots my high priced Springfield Armory Range Officer. For the difference in price, the Springfield shoot be a great shooter right out of the box.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:05 PM

Seems like some of us are in the same boat. See my thread "EMP4, will it make the cut" .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2017, 07:16 PM

My RO 9mm has been at the gunsmiths for 12 weeks now. I'm so disappointed. I shot a Norinco NP22 on Saturday. It totally beat my RO in the accuracy department and it's 1/4 the price. 9/10 shots went through a 1" hole at ten yards. I pulled the tenth one off.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:50 PM

Can anyone tell me if the RO has a Para cut or Nowlen cut barrel? I'm thinking of ordering a custom barrel but I can't remember which one it is and my gun is still at the gunsmiths.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter223 View Post
Can anyone tell me if the RO has a Para cut or Nowlen cut barrel? I'm thinking of ordering a custom barrel but I can't remember which one it is and my gun is still at the gunsmiths.
I think it is a Wilson/Nowlin ramp
Old 07-26-2017, 01:58 PM

Well I got word from Deb at the custom shop that my 9mm RO is done, new barrel and bushing installed. I'm hoping that this resolves the accuracy issues with this gun by adding a properly fit match barrel, the customer service installed barrel before this was very loose in the slide after 700-900 rounds and the accuracy took a dive. So I hope to have the gun back sometime next week and some time at the range to check it out, I'm hoping anyway.

By the way even though this was a bit of an added expense Deb at the custom shop was pure pleasure to work with, good people indeed.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:58 AM

Can't wait to see what you think .
Old 07-27-2017, 08:47 PM

Thanks Billy, I'm hoping for the best, I find it hard to believe that it won't be good, we'll see, can't wait to shoot it.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:01 PM

Well I got my SS 9mm RO back from the custom shop yesterday and just got back from the range a bit ago. Details are,

A new "custom" Springfield match grade nm barrel, bushing, link and slide stop pin were all installed.

The slide lockup is very tight and sometimes needs to be pushed on a table or bench to get it to unlock and slide back to rack a shell.

The slide when released does not always go forward into lockup and sometimes requires a bit of a push with your thumb to go fully forward into battery, but doesn't seem to need much of a push to do so.

The barrel bushing is really tight in the slide and requires a metal bushing wrench to turn, a plastic wrench will not do it.

The results of all this is that right off the bat at 10yds I put 36rds into the center of the target with a 3- 3 1/2" group freehand and was able to duplicate that pretty much at will.

There was some distraction from being able to focus on the target because of having to push the slide forward repeatedly through the first 100 or so rounds but by the time the round count was up around 200 it pretty much would cycle properly other than when it was cycled on a fresh magazine which required a thumb bump to fully close.
I also had problems with not extracting the spent round and had 1 round that would not seat in the chamber fully, no matter what,(it did seat and fire in my emp4) these problems were only seen when I used Winchester white box 115g ammo but had zero issues using freedom munitions 124g or PMC 115g which both cycled perfectly.

I think some more rounds are in order to fully fettle things out but feel good about the results and feel a steady rest would provide some very tight groups ,the springfield returned test target showed a 1 3/4" grouping at 25yds with federal 124g hydroshok ammo. Darn I think I'll have to shoot it some more and see how it does.. I'm hoping that it will continue to perform properly.

Last edited by passx; 08-04-2017 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:51 AM

Sounds like another SACS winner . I bet when that gun breaks in around 500 rds
everything will be as smooth a silk . Sounds like every SACS pistol I own great .
Old 08-05-2017, 08:35 AM

Passx, I'm glad it is working the way it should. But I am sorry to hear that it had to take a trip to Sacs with an added expense to you to make it right.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
I'm hoping that it will continue to perform properly.
In my opinion, the pistol is assuredly not performing "properly" yet, but, as Billy1911 predicted, I'm sure your pistol will become reliable, even if on an incremental basis, after some more "break-in" rounds are poured downrange. Good luck and keep us posted as to how the pistol continues to perform.
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 08-08-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
The barrel bushing is really tight in the slide and requires a metal bushing wrench to turn, a plastic wrench will not do it.

I just cleaned my TGO-1 Sunday and I still hate taking the bushing off
because its so tight even after 2000 plus rds .
Old 08-17-2017, 03:23 PM

Well, I just got back from the range shooting my SS 9mm RO that I had the custom shop work on to fix the poor accuracy and will say that I am very happy with todays results, the accuracy is way beyond my capabilties, finally have what I wanted when I bought this gun. I was easily shooting under 2" at 30ft freehand and was under 3" at 50ft, I'm happy. Now I will say that it took some fiddling to get here. As returned from the custom shop the barrel bushing was waaay to tight in the slide in my opinion and with the barrel and bushing installed in the slide the barrel had some spring in it not fully engaging the lugs in the slide unless you pressed it down, not good, plus there was a step in slide stop ramp that I believe was causing the issue with the slide going into battery and required a push from the thumb to do so several times during a clip.
So initially I replaced the barrel bushing with a briley bushing I had on hand that allowed the barrel to fully engage the slide lugs w/o any spring in the barrel but it had about .004in clearance between the bushing and slide and slightly more than .001in clearance to the barrel, a bit too loose in my opinion. So I ordered another briley bushing that needed to be fit as it was oversized, I took about 3hrs yesterday to get it within .0005in or less to the slide, still needs a bushing wrench to install but you don't have to reef on it to fit it in, it's snug but very smooth and I polished the barrel bushing to provide a clearance of .0005in there. If the shooter is paying attention and really trying it will basically put 1round on top of another. From a steady rest I am confident you could easily make 1 big hole at just about any distance you wanted too. I'm happy with the results but disappointed to have to spend almost 1/2 of the initial cost to get there.

I shot my sig p320rx as well which I can shoot about as good as I am capable of and the range officer was as good or better,,, I'm finally happy with this gun, hopefully I'll feel the same 20k rounds from now. ��

Last edited by passx; 08-17-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:16 PM

I just ordered the RO in 9mm the all Stainless model. I shot a friends and its a tack driver.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:26 PM

The gunsmith finally has my new barrel. My RO 9mm has been gone 6 months! I sure hope this new barrel is a good one.

Sent from my HUAWEI SCL-L04 using Tapatalk
Old 11-21-2017, 10:29 AM

Guess I got lucky my 9MM RO are all good guns, I have both 5" target and Operator models and they both have given good accuracy.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:48 PM

I just got my RO 9mm back from the gunsmith. A whopping 32 weeks total down time! Looks like it was worth while though. The test target shows 5 shots at 20 yards making a 1.25" group. I'm going to the range tomorrow for a test run.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:16 AM

I wanted to wait til I got 500+ through my RO Champion 4" before checking it for accuracy. I know that it shoots WAY high at 10 yards. Today will tell. I'm set up to shoot from a steady rest. I understand that 1 1/2" groups @ 20 yards won't happen, but one can always hope.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:39 AM

Shootinxd, let us know what your results are, these 9mm ro’s Seem to be either real tack drivers or real pos’s. As far as the shooting high at 10yds, if you shoot it from a steady rest and get the same results I would talk to Springfield and let them fix it, they are more than willing to fix sight issues for free, it’s one of their better features, good people on the other end of the phone.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:14 PM

Well this is going to be the final report on how lousy my SS 9mm RO has been, been struggling with this gun for almost a year. Been trying to figure it out for almost a year now and it seems that I now finally have it sorted. Took it to the range this past Tuesday and again it had lots of ftf’s and jams for the first 50-100rds and then settled and ran right with occasional ftf’s and not fully closing the slide. I noticed that this seemed to happen predominantly with the same 2 magazines, but quite frankly i’d had my fill and was going trade it in on something not Springfield. But thanks to a low ball offer and a smartazz clerk I was reinvigorated and determined to figure out what was wrong with this damn gun.

So anyway it boiled down to 3 things being wrong, I bought 3 new chip McCormack 10rd mags that load and feed much better than the oe Springfield piece’s, much, much better.

The barrel bushing from the Springfield custom shop I had replaced with a briley spherical bushing piece that I had fit to only .0005in clearance over the barrel and was .001in smaller than the Springfield piece, was too tight! The reason I replaced it was as returned from the Custom Shop the oe bushing wouldn’t allow the barrel to fully seat in the lugs (springing) but I ended up clearancing the Springfield bushing to allow full lockup and now it will let the slide move free’r and go fully into battery now.

The final issue was that the extractor that Springfield replaced when I first bought this gun and would not pull any rounds out, so anyway I realized that the replacement extractor would follow the round into the chamber behind the shell and the hook was too close to the breech face so even if it did hook the shell it would pinch it on the breech face and feed it crooked into the chamber causing it to jam. So a new Wilson Combat bulletproof extractor and firing pin stop tightened it all up and a little judicious tensioning got things to load right. I ended up with a tension of 22oz but started at 28-29oz but that was also to tight and also caused the round to bind up going into the chamber.

All in all I shot 300 perfect rounds today w/o a single issue, the gun now works just like it’s supposed to. I will add that I did order a set of go/no-go gages and the chamber may be a bit tight yet but it seems to be working and i’ll check it once I get the gages. Dropping a round in the chamber does show the back of the cartridge to be just a little below the barrel hood, it looks about right around .010in but I haven’t measured it, but will when I check it with the gages and measure it all out.

Anyway that’s my 9mm RO story, it has pretty much sucked for the last year but now that it cycles right and with the custom shop work done to it, it is very accurate. Halalueya, amen ! I think I might learn to like this gun a lot.

Last edited by passx; 01-23-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
Anyway thatís my 9mm RO story, it has pretty much sucked for the last year but now that it cycles right and with the custom shop work done to it, it is very accurate. Halalueya, amen ! I think I might learn to like this gun a lot.

You put a smile o n my face . After all that you have been through with that
pistol , you finally got it working the way you want it to . Great to hear .
Old 01-24-2018, 06:55 AM

Thanks Bill, now we just need to get together someplace and exercise it. I’m on a mission to see if I can wear it out, it’s gotta be close to 3000rds through it now so it ain’t a break-in thing. Always had a thing for an all stainless 1911 and now I have 2, the RO and my Ed Brown executive (pure artwork) which convinced me that a 9mm full size can and should work well, now I have 2 that do,,,,amen, thankyou Jesus !
Old 02-09-2018, 06:03 PM

I have had absolutely no issues at all with my RO Elite 9mm.
I did replace a few inners with Wilson Combat parts though, nothing that would improve accuracy.
I cannot say the same about my (not anymore) STI Trojan 9mm. That went back to STI 3 times, and a LGS once to get it to put a whole mag through without a failure to go into battery.