What I might do... leave it alone kinda... - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-06-2020, 07:57 PM

What I might do... leave it alone kinda...

We built up a long thread here on the SFS.

I took the MK III out today - observations follow.

Its fun to shoot. Even after my PD gave me severe hammer bite, the Hipower seemed nice - even with the sharp beavertail.

Despite my OCD problems with the 'camming' trigger, the pistol was EASY to hit at speed from the low ready flicking off the safety. I was putting most of the shots through ONE hole an inch high at 7 yards - its a 0600 hold. I actually enjoyed the shooting and the camming did not seem to bug me. It is sufficiently combat light and consistent in practice.

I was surprised how I hit with the MKIII sights and how easy they were to pick up the target. The little front square and large rear squares worked better than I remember on a beautiful day. However, I still might put a Novak NS on the front and black out the rear.

The safety is still too light and mushy. It works. Barely. The grip is too good.

(I just got the Black VZ diamonds from a good forum member, and they feel great. At the range I had the black Navridex that are also nice but not as aggressive).

Skate Board tape on the front and back help make the sharp beavertail a non issue IMHO.

What I might do:

- Get a CS safety plunger/spring.
- Get a CS wide trigger - might give me a more consistent trigger placement/pressure.
- Maybe try the Novak night front (compatible with the MK III rear - correct?)

Shoot more and hope the sear/hammer mate better.

These are VERY good guns. I do love the grip.

Last edited by 1911Brian; 04-06-2020 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:32 PM

>>>...Get a CS wide trigger - might give me a more consistent trigger placement/pressure...<<<

Give some thought to a Straight Trigger from Jim Garthwaite--
http://www.garthwaite.com/services/b...ustom-work.php
Old 04-07-2020, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDKSAIL View Post
>>>...Get a CS wide trigger - might give me a more consistent trigger placement/pressure...<<<

Give some thought to a Straight Trigger from Jim Garthwaite--
http://www.garthwaite.com/services/b...ustom-work.php

I would like this better, but would it not need gunsmith fitting? Does it come with a new trigger pin? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2020, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Brian View Post
I would like this better, but would it not need gunsmith fitting? Does it come with a new trigger pin? Thanks.
Yes the Garthwaite trigger requires fitting.
Attached Thumbnails
C10C888D-ED34-4029-A872-69F06694BBEC.jpeg  
Old 04-07-2020, 10:32 AM

>>>...would it not need gunsmith fitting?...<<<

As noted above...YES....it would probably require fitting....by a gunsmith or an experienced owner.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raladan View Post
Yes the Garthwaite trigger requires fitting.
What sights are on your Hipower?

I would like the Garthwaite trigger, but not going to send the pistol out to do this.
Old 04-07-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
1 - Get a CS safety plunger/spring.
2 - Get a CS wide trigger - might give me a more consistent trigger placement/pressure.
3 - Maybe try the Novak night front (compatible with the MK III rear - correct?)

4 -Shoot more and hope the sear/hammer mate better.
I would do what you want to do thusly:

1 -BHSS -SFS kit DIY
2 -BHSS -C&S Trigger includes 2 trigger springs DIY
3 -BHSS -Send slide for Meprolight Sights
4 -BHSS -SFS kit DIY

Not sure about the Garthwaite trigger, but the C&S Wide Combat Trigger does not include a Trigger Pin nor the Trigger Spring Pin. If I was packaging things... I might add a Trigger Spring Pin to a Trigger Kit. You can reuse the one in your current trigger or pick up a set of pins.

For $200ish you get it all done except for sights. Full spring replacement and maybe pins are optional. I have done all of this (except sights) on a bunch of my High Powers. I've only had sights done on the one I carry.

If you haven't already, sign up for the BHSS newsletter and notification of special sales.

Cheers,
Old 04-08-2020, 07:56 AM

Quote:

I would like the Garthwaite trigger, but not going to send the pistol out to do this.
If you send your pistol to BHSS, they will put the Garthwaite trigger in for you.

Mark had a slightly used one he installed on mine.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:

Dawson precision sights
Old 04-08-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosbar View Post
If you send your pistol to BHSS, they will put the Garthwaite trigger in for you.

Mark had a slightly used one he installed on mine.
Handsome gun, looks very professionally set up. How slippery are the Legacy/Heirloom grips in your hands when shooting? The dark burl coloring and burl figuring on your grips looks superb.

As I mentioned in my thread, they look and feel great when installed, but due to COVID-19 I'm unable to get any match or test-firing in subsequent to their installation, so I'm reluctant to use or recommend them until I can test-drive them, but I'd be interested to hear about your experiences and perceptions.

Best, Jon

Last edited by JonCombatCdr; 04-08-2020 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raladan View Post
Dawson precision sights
I have an email to see if they have a trit front for their MKIII. I just ordered one for my 92X - the only place they make one short enough for a 92X.

See what they say. I also like the fact that they sell a MK 3 DROP IN (no machine) serrated rear. Thanks.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:09 PM

TNorris - I get it. I still cannot get the sear and hammer to 'gel' perfectly, so even after a ton of dry fire and hundreds of rounds, I still sometimes get a little creep, and sometimes none. It does not really affect my shooting (much) but it does bug me.

My question is (and maybe I'll finally end phone tag with Mark/BHSS) is does the SFS totally get the break to be the same every pull? If it DOES that, I may try it.

I understand the attraction if it does that.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonCombatCdr View Post
Handsome gun, looks very professionally set up. How slippery are the Legacy/Heirloom grips in your hands when shooting? The dark burl coloring and burl figuring on your grips looks superb.

As I mentioned in my thread, they look and feel great when installed, but due to COVID-19 I'm unable to get any match or test-firing in subsequent to their installation, so I'm reluctant to use or recommend them until I can test-drive them, but I'd be interested to hear about your experiences and perceptions.

Best, Jon
It's hard to see in the picture but, there's skateboard tape on the front and back straps.

Slipping is not a problem.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
TNorris - I get it. I still cannot get the sear and hammer to 'gel' perfectly, so even after a ton of dry fire and hundreds of rounds, I still sometimes get a little creep, and sometimes none. It does not really affect my shooting (much) but it does bug me.

My question is (and maybe I'll finally end phone tag with Mark/BHSS) is does the SFS totally get the break to be the same every pull? If it DOES that, I may try it.

I understand the attraction if it does that.
Hi Brian...

I'm not sure what you mean by creep. I did some dry fire play with six of my High Powers last night, and again this morning. Three are SFS and three are traditional. I'll list them below for reference. My general subjective trigger feel evaluations:

-Each has a bit of pre-travel before it hits "the wall".

-The SFS have virtually zero "post travel".

-The traditional pistols have a very tiny bit of "post travel". I would describe that as a squishy feeling. Pretty minimal and if I were shooting I would probably never notice it. To even feel it I have to squeeze a bit more after the hammer falls. I do not feel this on the SFS pistols.

-Each of the six breaks pretty clean. I would say indeterminably even. With 20 pulls of a trigger gauge there is some variability, but only by a couple of ounces in either direction as compared to the digital 10 pull average. This is likely a function of a human operating a trigger gauge yet, if it was actually the pistol, it is so small a difference that I don't think most would ever notice while firing. That said, I do experience the occasional shot which is a bit more of a surprise than most when at the range. Same with every pistol I have ever fired.

SFS:
-2002 MKlll Factory Installed SFS -
-1981 Alloy Detective Hybrid BHSS Installed
-1960 Classic BHSS installed

Traditional:
-2004 MKlll 40 (some work done before I found it)
-1989 Israeli marked (refurbished by importer?)
-1943 Classic (I replaced some parts for safety)

-Of the traditional pistols, the 1943 has the least "pre-travel".
-The Alloy Detective has the most "pre-travel", but this is because the trigger lever was shortened some to correct a lack of trigger reset appx 20% of the time, which was entirely due to the use of the FM Detective slide with the FN Alloy frame. A little jiggle of the trigger always completed the reset but it's a carry gun...

'Nuff for now!

Last edited by TNorris; 04-10-2020 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:40 AM

The 'creep' I am referring to is the camming between the sear and hammer prior to break. Is the same action as a CZ, but of course shorter because the CZ sear and hammer hooks are supposed to cam.

Pretravel is for me trigger take up present on all conventional rotating trigger guns.

Sometimes I get camming, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I get a small amount of camming, sometimes its long. This inconsistency BEFORE the clean break drives me nuts.
Old 04-10-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
The 'creep' I am referring to is the camming between the sear and hammer prior to break. Is the same action as a CZ, but of course shorter because the CZ sear and hammer hooks are supposed to cam.

Pretravel is for me trigger take up present on all conventional rotating trigger guns.

Sometimes I get camming, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I get a small amount of camming, sometimes its long. This inconsistency BEFORE the clean break drives me nuts.
Got it... I either can't feel the camming, don't have it on my HPs or think of it as something different. I can feel the resistance of the trigger spring, the tilting of the sear lever as the trigger lever makes contact and moves the front end up, and the break as the sear lever pushes the front of the sear down to release the hammer. Each of these motions seems distinct and crisp.

The sear on the SFS is maybe half the width as the regular sear, and with different angles. When attempting to photograph the hammer sear interface, I was able to position the pair in a position between beginning and end. I could not do this with SFS. I think Slav stated the interface angles were different? Does it take more force to push the original "over the ledge"?

The SFS "feels better" to me. I think you may need to install a kit for yourself and see if it makes any difference. Or should you find yourself in Chicago...

Thanks for posing the question. It has given me something to examine while on my isolation vacation!

Tim
Old 04-10-2020, 03:44 PM

My camming happens AFTER ALL is taken up and the sear is FULLY engaged with the hammer. About HALF the time, it breaks clean - or at least seems to. When all the pretravel is done, I can many times see my sear slip and expose the polished interface before it actually breaks. This is camming.
Old 04-10-2020, 05:33 PM

Quote:
My camming happens AFTER ALL is taken up and the sear is FULLY engaged with the hammer. About HALF the time, it breaks clean - or at least seems to. When all the pretravel is done, I can many times see my sear slip and expose the polished interface before it actually breaks. This is camming.
Thanks Brian... I learned something new!

I can see this on the three traditional pistols. To my knowledge they each have the original sear and hammer. With a slow, careful pull I can make it happen nearly every time. With a normal pull it happens less.

I was able to make the 2002 SFS (my oldest SFS) do this but not nearly to the extent of any of the traditional, including the 2004. The other two, with SFS kits less than a year old, would not cam for me.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:19 PM

Roger good. I don’t care as much if it cams consistently. It bothers me only if it is inconsistent.