Notices

View Poll Results: Best modern pump shotgun:
Remington 870 58 53.70%
Mossberg 500/590 39 36.11%
Winchester 1200/1300 11 10.19%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-06-2020, 02:33 PM

Poll: best modern pump shotgun

This applies to affordable mass produced guns. "Premium" or vintage guns like the Ithaca 37, Winchester model 12, and Remington 31 don't count in this category.
Old 04-06-2020, 02:36 PM

R-870! Did I win?

Smiles,
Old 04-06-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfitch View Post
R-870! Did I win?

Smiles,
No because you didn't pick Mossberg 590.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2020, 03:45 PM

I would go with an 870 if I had to use a pump
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 04-06-2020, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Best is always a matter of opinion. I selected the Mossberg 500 because barrel changes are a piece of cake and I've never heard of anybody with a bad one. The location of the safety is about the only negative since it is real inconvenient if you use a pistol grip.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 04-06-2020, 04:27 PM

Benelli Supernova needs to be included
Old 04-06-2020, 04:31 PM

My $.02

Pick one based purely on how much you want to spend and whether or not you want black plastic, plywood or real walnut furniture. Pumps are just so ridiculously reliable. There's hardly anything to them that will break.

We sell the Winchester SXP home defense gun for $325. Hard to go wrong. We sell tons of em without ever having had one come back.

I bought a brand new 870 20 ga a few weeks ago. Timeless, beautiful wood (not an Express, but a real 870). Slickest action around.

I turkey hunt with a Mossberg 835. Tough as nails. I reckon the 500 is just as reliable. Mossberg sells millions of em.

The Dark Horse in this race is a Browning BPS. Another reliable and beautiful gun.

Even CZ has a nice looking pump in their lineup.

Benelli Nova's and Supernova.....same thing....

I think it's just about impossible to get a turd. Maybe others have had a bad pump, but I haven't, regardless of the brand.
Old 04-06-2020, 04:52 PM

The only one I have any experience with is the 870 but that is many years of experience and haven't used anything else that I would rely on for business use. Mine is one of the first Express models from the early 90s and it has been 100% reliable and is extremely slick and smooth today. I replaced most of the springs a few years ago and it sleeps next to my bunk.
Old 04-06-2020, 05:00 PM

I own both and prefer the Mossberg. I shoot left hand so the safety is easier for me with the Mossberg. Plus it's easier for me to load a Mossberg without getting pinched versus the 870.
Old 04-06-2020, 05:03 PM
1911 Aficionado

Lefty here, too, and the tang safety played no small part in my selecting the 590.
I have read more than a few "new 870s are crap" comments, but have never heard a similar comment about Mossberg.
Old 04-06-2020, 05:05 PM

All of them have their advantages, and disadvantages.

Remington:
-Pros: Best balance.

-Cons: Magazine tube non-removable magazine tube, special tools needed for some parts replacement (ejector, and cartridge interceptors), can't cycle mini shells consistently, and pre "flexi-tab" models are hard to clear under certain conditions.

Mossberg:
-Pros: 2 extractors, no special tools needed for parts replacement, shell carrier does not chew thumb while loading magazine tube, ambidextrous safety.

-Cons: sharper recoil, forend rattles.

Winchester:
-Pros: Smooth, and fast action. Can shoot Mini shells reliably with no modification.

-Cons: Finite parts supply.

Mossberg is the clear winner for me.

Last edited by FNHipowerluv; 04-06-2020 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-06-2020, 05:26 PM
More Cowbell...

870 or Supernova.
Old 04-06-2020, 05:47 PM

Mossberg 590!!!! I've had others, and those are all gone now. The safety is in the perfect location for the shooting hand operation, as is the action release. The thing is as close to unbreakable and uber-reliable as you can get. (Disclaimer: it came with a pistol grip stock (Blackwater), but I have no use for such things on a shotgun, so that's long gone.)
Old 04-06-2020, 06:44 PM

benelli m3
i have 870p so it has the full tube
Old 04-06-2020, 06:55 PM

Not a lot of love for the poor old Winchesters. For those of you who absolutely hate the tang safety on the Mossberg, there is an economy variant of the 500 called the Maverick 88 that has the safety on the trigger guard like that of a Winchester.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNHipowerluv View Post
-Cons: Magazine tube non-removable magazine tube, special tools needed for some parts replacement (ejector, and cartridge interceptors), can't cycle mini shells consistently,.....

Winchester:
-Pros: Smooth, and fast action. Can shoot Mini shells reliably with no modification.....
What are "mini shells"???

EDIT:. Never mind. I looked em up. Good for training for folks who are recoil sensitive. I guess...... If you can get em to feed.

Last edited by TRSOtto; 04-06-2020 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:09 PM

Aguila makes them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
What are "mini shells"???
They are short (not sure what the actual length is). I am thinking less than two inches. Fired of course as that is how shells are measured. They have bird shot versions as well as buck shot versions.

I bought some out of curiosity, and was quite impressed by them. The buckshot rounds at any rate. They have a reduced load of shot. But I test fired some of them. Shooting them at some nominal 1/2" plywood from ten meters they blew a clean tight single whole right through it. Tight pattern with plenty of power. Out of an improved cylinder bore. Almost zero recoil. Just the ticket for an older person or a frail, or small person for home defense. This in a single or double gun. Some pumps will supposedly run them, as will some autos (supposedly).

They are no joke or gimmick, I like them and have several boxes just because.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:19 PM

On the subject of mini shells, a Mossberg will run them too with the use of an adapter. Mini shells are most useful on guns like the Shockwave, since full length shells make the gun hard to control.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:40 PM

I'd take an old Ithaca 37/20ga, over an old Wingmaster ANYDAY! Had 'em both and nothing's as smooth as a 37!
Old 04-06-2020, 09:47 PM

I've owned a Mossberg 500 and a Winchester 1300 - you couldn't go wrong with either.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:14 PM

Although I voted for the Remington 870 - it covers all bases, sporting and LE/Defense - and has been in production for 50 years, etc., it is not really the best pump.

The best pump action shotgun is, and probably always will be, the Ithaca Model 37. Originally designed by John Browning as a 20 gauge around 1915, it was picked up by Ithaca in the 1930's and has several great attributes.

1.) Shortest stroke length of any pump.
2.) ALL STEEL, made in USA construction - and yet still light weight.
3.) Bottom ejection - works for left or right handers, and if you are left handed, you can fit a left handed safety easily.
4.) Current production by the reorganized "modern" Ithaca company is done in a modern, CNC production facility in Ohio. Quite likely better quality than ever before.
5.) My two M37's were just tried with Mini-shells - seem to cycle through fine, must get to the range. Gives you a 13 shot conventional pump shotgun!

https://ithacagun.com/

I have no interest in the company personally, but after purchasing two M37s and working with them - well, they beat the Remington and the Mossberg all hollow for solidness and quality construction. (And I am a Remington Armorer, and quite fond of the 870 as an LE/Police gun.) Mine are older, and "slamfire" - should you need to clear a room quickly!

The M37 was a standard in Police work until the original company went under. Los Angeles, Chicago, New York - well, it was THE workhorse. But with the original company's demise, their PD's mostly went Remington. Now the M37 is back, but the new company is smaller, low volume company that has had to actually turn down big LE contracts so as to keep their civilian base supplied. More's the pity! CC

Certified Law Enforcement Trainer
Certified Glock, Colt and Remington LE Armorer
Old 04-06-2020, 10:21 PM

I love the Ithaca 37 too. I didn't include in the poll because I thought comparing it to the others would be unfair. The design of the gun is over 100 years old (Remington was building it as the model 17 before Ithaca was building it as the model 37). It is a beautifully machined work of art that is comparable to a Winchester model 12. The guns in this poll are mainly just stampings, powdered metal and castings put into a forged frame. They are nowhere near the same class as an Ithaca 37.

Last edited by FNHipowerluv; 04-06-2020 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-06-2020, 11:07 PM

Only shotgun I own right now is a Mini 14
Old 04-06-2020, 11:10 PM

So, Ithaca 37, sounds like.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:28 AM

So it probably sounds like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.E. View Post
So, Ithaca 37, sounds like.
A really good option for a pump gun, if you can put your hands on one.

Not all that difficult for most people. Shotguns, pump guns even more so are not really high speed, low drag technology. Most of them work well even the cheap ones. Never heard of a single case of someone being killed because their shotgun, of any type failed to work when it needed to. Not one single time have I ever heard of this.