Mixed metals slide/frame/barrel - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-06-2020, 02:08 PM

Mixed metals slide/frame/barrel

Does anyone here think it’s best to use a stainless frame with carbon slide or vice versa. I was thinking of doing a stainless frame, carbon slide and stainless barrel setup, but I’m concerned about things loosening up. Last build I used a carbon frame and stainless slide. After awhile the slide/frame loosened up a bit much IMO.

I’ve done SS frame and slide, but I was thinking that with a carbon slide it would reduce the risk of slide cracking.

Anyways, what’s everyone’s experience when it comes to mixed metal builds and what is the best frame/slide/barrel combo in regards to after long term use. For example, upper barrel to slide lug contact battering/loosening, slide to frame fit loosening, and lower barrel lug wearing.

My thought is by using a SS frame with carbon slide, the slide will be DLC bonded which will prevent wear. Using a stainless barrel will prevent lower lug wear. The carbon slide will help absorb impact with higher pressure loads.

I also like the thought of fitting a carbon slide to a ss frame because it’s hard to get into the nooks and crannies in order to clean it up. Once the SS frame rails are tight fit to the slide, I figured the lapping compound will do more “cleaning up” to the interior of the carbon slide. Does anyone see any drawbacks in doing this?
Old 04-06-2020, 04:00 PM

built a jem stainless frame with a remsport carbon slide last year. came out beautiful and tight. only have about 2500 rounds through it now, but it is as tight and operates as smooth as ever. I would not recommend using the lapping compound as it will likely take off more material than you intended. not too many "nooks and crannies" on the remsport slide that you will have to address/worry about after fitting the rails and blending at the rear. my build on top, bottom is a springfield trp. also, I used a kart exact-fit barrel.

I like that you are going with DLC on the slide. I wanted to, but did not feel like shipping the slide out. ended up doing it myself with Mark Lee's express blue
Attached Thumbnails
jem1 and trp.jpg  

Last edited by ccssid; 04-06-2020 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-06-2020, 04:17 PM

Check out the new Ronin by springfield, stainless frame and steel slide. They probably have a few rounds testing this arrangement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2020, 08:24 PM

Preference here is carbon/carbon/carbon. I have built guns which are at least 'snug' (.0020 - .0027") on stainless/carbon and stainless/stainless as well. The stainless is a little tougher to fit close.

I don't use lapping compound much at all...I do use polishing compounds when fitting slide to frame fit. I mix it with oil and don't get strong about it. It is important to map and fine file the high spots in small touches as the slide and frame begin to 'meld'. The polishing compound should polish and only eliminate any small remaining high spots. It is also important to knock the sharp interior corners along the length of the frame and slide rails. I got anxious and excited on my present build...carbon slide, stainless barrel and frame. I pushed the slide a little too far back on the frame before i got the remaining high spot down (using file only). After 150 - 200 rounds of 230 ball ammo, it still has a dry clearance of .0014" - .0018" in all directions. And the rails are polished smooth.

Here is a link to a thread I posted on this particular pistol...carbon slide with steel frame. You can see how smooth the rails are. This pistol never chokes. The barrel is a stainless Storm Lake...because the price was extremely good. Normally, I use Kart barrels.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=1011638
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:35 PM

Problem you are always going to have with stainless is galling. If you want the contrasting look of a stainless frame and Carbon slide, get a carbon frame and don't put a finish on it. Done that lots of times on my own builds and you will have a smother, tighter and longer lasting fit.
You may know a thing and it is not true. But in understanding that thing there can be ONLY truth. And to understand, you will need contrast. NOT adherence to a single idea. The truth is in the contrast.
Old 04-06-2020, 11:27 PM

You leave your carbon frames in the white??
Old 04-07-2020, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MAYHEM* View Post
Problem you are always going to have with stainless is galling. If you want the contrasting look of a stainless frame and Carbon slide, get a carbon frame and don't put a finish on it. Done that lots of times on my own builds and you will have a smother, tighter and longer lasting fit.
True. My son and I built his pistol. Stainless on stainless. Sub .002" clearances. He was off to work in DC and I shot a match with it as a real test. It ran like a scalded dog. Shot it again on another day..perfect. So 3 range firings for about 125 rounds each. A 150 round match. Next trip to the range it galled, locked slide open. I just had to touch the slide and frame rails and ways after i got it apart. So the clearance is insignificantly wider. But I have a feel for the proximity for stainless on stainless now.

Stainles and carbon do play better together than stainless/stainless. I have two other guns same way...carbon over stainless.
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QJI26 View Post
You leave your carbon frames in the white??
Yes. Looks just as good as stainless, works better and costs less. I had a bad experience with stainless frames when I put a SA slide on an AMT frame. Haven't used stainless since, likely not going to. But a carbon frame in the white gives me the same visual effect without the inherent problems. Will it rust? Hell yeah! If you don't take care of it. I have carbon steel pocket knives that I've had more than 30 years that don't have a speck of rust on and currently have two of my builds with carbon in the white frames. Both 7 yrs old, both fired regularly, both rust free. And both slides have the bluing polished off the flats down to bare metal.
Attached Thumbnails
z1doX7A.jpg   P05wZD3.jpg  
You may know a thing and it is not true. But in understanding that thing there can be ONLY truth. And to understand, you will need contrast. NOT adherence to a single idea. The truth is in the contrast.

Last edited by *MAYHEM*; 04-07-2020 at 07:26 AM.
Old 04-07-2020, 04:31 PM

I don't think that I would use AMT as an example of anything significant to other guns except problems.

Stainless has a rep for galling, but much has been learned since it was first used in firearms. Different alloys, differential heat treating, etc. No, you cannot run it as tight as carbon... unless maybe you have it hard chromed. Not a bad idea as it will significantly increase the resistance to wear and corrosion. Yeah, it WILL corrode. I much prefer carbon steel for my pistols, at least for the slides and barrels, but good stainless give good service.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBBill View Post
I don't think that I would use AMT as an example of anything significant to other guns except problems.
Granted. AMT is not know for high quality, but the issue wasn't a matter of their machining quality. The frame was new and unfitted. I fitted it up as tight as my other 1911s and by the second box of ammo the slide locked up solid. Took days to get it back off. So here's the problem I have with stainless, I am always looking for a way to get my slide/frame fit .0001 tighter and with stainless I have to make it looser? No. Not for me.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:22 AM

My first builds were SS/SS and I only had galling issues from trying to fit the slide/frame too fast. I don’t shoot regularly though. I have 100’s of more hours into building than shooting. I like to keep learning as I go and make my next build quite a bit better than the last. I always learn something new which keeps me hooked. Does any barrel manufacturer make a ramped W/N carbon barrel with a custom ramp angle? It’s the one part of a build I do not want to touch, not owning a mill.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
My first builds were SS/SS and I only had galling issues from trying to fit the slide/frame too fast. I don’t shoot regularly though. I have 100’s of more hours into building than shooting. I like to keep learning as I go and make my next build quite a bit better than the last. I always learn something new which keeps me hooked. Does any barrel manufacturer make a ramped W/N carbon barrel with a custom ramp angle? It’s the one part of a build I do not want to touch, not owning a mill.
Kart may do this for you

https://kartbarrel.com/