Holsters under $50.00 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-06-2020, 11:50 AM

Holsters under $50.00

Check out my review on holsters I have used and all are under $50.00. You really do not need to spend a lot of money for a quality holster. All of these holsters are of the highest quality and work real well.

Check out the review here.

https://youtu.be/TFS_Rr6h58s

Thanks let me know what you think
Old 04-06-2020, 05:00 PM

You can buy cheap holsters off the shelf. There is a reason why builders like Milt Sparks have a six-month wait. It's called quality.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
You can buy cheap holsters off the shelf. There is a reason why builders like Milt Sparks have a six-month wait. It's called quality.
Ok what makes the holsters I have any less quality than a milt sparks, how do you know this. Leather is Leather and Kydex is Kydex so both holsters are made of the same material the difference is one has a different name and cost 4x as much.

I did not say that Milt Sparks was not a quality holster, I am just pointing out that there are holsters that are of the same quality and do not cost you 150 or 200 dollars.

I have a Milt Sparks I have had for a number of years and I have a holster that is very similar Milt Sparks both in Quality and Build and cost about a third of what a Milt Sparks cost.

If you feel the Milt Sparks is that much better quality than say another holster that is similar and you are ok with paying upwards of $200 for the holster and wait 6 months, then by all means do so.

Personally I will order a 50 dollar holster have it shipped to my house in few days with no wait and spend the 150 dollars I save and buy ammo for practice. $150 dollars buys a whole lot of ammo...

Last edited by ToddRvs; 04-06-2020 at 08:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2020, 09:53 PM

You can buy a Kia or you can buy a Mercedes, your choice.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
You can buy a Kia or you can buy a Mercedes, your choice.

Neither of those would be my first choice.
Old 04-06-2020, 11:08 PM

I have to agree with the Original post. Quality can be had at many price levels. Your purchase, your choice.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:09 AM

Uncle Mikes is $20. Great quality?
Old 04-07-2020, 06:54 AM

I wasn't going to post regarding your OP, and be happy that you found holsters you like.

However,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddRvs View Post
Ok what makes the holsters I have any less quality than a milt sparks,.... Leather is Leather and Kydex is Kydex so both holsters are made of the same material the difference is one has a different name and cost 4x as much.

I have a Milt Sparks I have had for a number of years and I have a holster that is very similar Milt Sparks both in Quality and Build and cost about a third of what a Milt Sparks cost.
I don't have a Milt Sparks holster, but watching your video, and your comments on the two leather IWB holsters, you comment about the gusset on the mouth of both holsters, and then you squeeze the mouth of both. They both collapse under your finger pressure. Either you are incredibly strong, or it is unlikely those holsters will stay open when worn IWB and the gun is drawn.

At least on the Summer Special/Summer Special II models, and many other holsters in the more expensive category you speak of, they have a steel reinforced mouth and those holsters will not collapse when worn IWB and the gun is drawn.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

I think the man is on to something. I really like that one holster that will carry a glock, 1911 and whatever else. One size fits all. Love it. Winning.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:04 AM

Imagine the level of work that went into creating the DeSantis model you show.

A machine cuts the pattern, they put it on a sewing machine and sew it together. You're done.

Here's an example of the labor that goes into, one example of a higher priced holster, the Andrews MacDaniel II.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36YrAHglme0
Old 04-07-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Leather is Leather and Kydex is Kydex
I'm trying to not dig in deep here, I haven't watched the video. But this little quote here is incorrect. Kydex has various grades and thickness used in holsters, that doesn't account for variations between Boltron and other materials which are typically called "kydex", and the sheer fact that injection molded holsters are often called "kydex". That also doesn't account for the tooling used to form the holster in the case of kydex, that arguably is the most important part of making a good kydex holster. So kydex isn't kydex, the fact that the market looks a lot alike is a byproduct of lots of small makers using the same tooling to make their holsters without a lot of variation, but it does indeed vary.

Leather wise more my normal you've gotta understand the tannage, as well as which tannery the hide came from, and then what was done in the post processing at the tannery as well as the process from the holster maker on that hide. You can end up with two completely different holsters from two makers using the exact same hide based on their processes. Do they press the rigs? Do they use an acrylic sealer? There are SO many variables in the process of making a leather holster that saying "leather is leather" is honestly just insane to me.

Perhaps I'm over reacting but I've spent the last 10 years working leather, every single day. I've spent god knows how many hours researching and testing various things to try and build better holsters. If it were as easy as you are making it out to be, I'd have been done with my research 10 years ago rather than still learning something every day.

Again though I'm really not trying to pick on you, the reality is most people who don't deal with leather or kydex on the back end so to speak may not understand the intricacy of this industry. But there is a huge amount of difference in holsters maker to maker and design to design.

Luke
Old 04-07-2020, 10:25 AM

Agree 150% with luke
Old 04-07-2020, 12:05 PM

Holsters MUST:
1 - Cover the trigger guard "tightly" - so that nothing can get in there
2 - Stay open when presenting - so you can safely and efficiently re-holster as needed
3 - Have a moderate amount of retention for civilians - so they don't fall out during normal or life-threatening situations (with a cleared gun, tip the holster over and the gun should stay in it)

After this criteria is met the quality you want to invest in is personal. I have seen Fobus and Alien Gear "crack" under moderate range/training use. I have seen mediocre leather that tears, stretches, and generally deteriorates within months of consistent use. You get what you pay for...
Old 04-07-2020, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtq View Post
Imagine the level of work that went into creating the DeSantis model you show.

A machine cuts the pattern, they put it on a sewing machine and sew it together. You're done.

Here's an example of the labor that goes into, one example of a higher priced holster, the Andrews MacDaniel II.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36YrAHglme0
I see your point and I did go and get my Milt Sparks which I have had for a number of years and you are correct the gusset does seem to be a bit harder to compress, but not by much. I tried both holster inside my pants and the milt sparks does seem stay open a little wider than the master holster model, but both stay open enough to re-holster the gun. I will consent that the Milt Sparks Gusset is a little better, maybe I will do a video comparing the Milt sparks to the Master Holster model and post it on my youtube channel.

I can say that the snaps on the Master holster are much more firm than the Milt Sparks that is partially why I no longer use the Milt Sparks because the belt loops snaps are not as secure and tend to pop off for no reason, this may because the Milt Sparks is more than 10 years old and the Master Holster is about a year old.

I did buy the Milt Sparks holster used and maybe if I would of bought a new model, I would still be wearing it.

Last edited by ToddRvs; 04-07-2020 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke213 View Post
I'm trying to not dig in deep here, I haven't watched the video. But this little quote here is incorrect. Kydex has various grades and thickness used in holsters, that doesn't account for variations between Boltron and other materials which are typically called "kydex", and the sheer fact that injection molded holsters are often called "kydex". That also doesn't account for the tooling used to form the holster in the case of kydex, that arguably is the most important part of making a good kydex holster. So kydex isn't kydex, the fact that the market looks a lot alike is a byproduct of lots of small makers using the same tooling to make their holsters without a lot of variation, but it does indeed vary.

Leather wise more my normal you've gotta understand the tannage, as well as which tannery the hide came from, and then what was done in the post processing at the tannery as well as the process from the holster maker on that hide. You can end up with two completely different holsters from two makers using the exact same hide based on their processes. Do they press the rigs? Do they use an acrylic sealer? There are SO many variables in the process of making a leather holster that saying "leather is leather" is honestly just insane to me.

Perhaps I'm over reacting but I've spent the last 10 years working leather, every single day. I've spent god knows how many hours researching and testing various things to try and build better holsters. If it were as easy as you are making it out to be, I'd have been done with my research 10 years ago rather than still learning something every day.

Again though I'm really not trying to pick on you, the reality is most people who don't deal with leather or kydex on the back end so to speak may not understand the intricacy of this industry. But there is a huge amount of difference in holsters maker to maker and design to design.

Luke
Luke first thank you for your input, I actually did not realize there was so many different grades of kydex and very similar copies of kydex out there. I can say that I have never had a Kydex holster fail on me or seen one fail. But I suppose it is very possible.

As for the leather now that I am very aware off, there are many very different qualities of leather you can choose from and some are very strong and some not so much. I will say that the water buffalo holster by Versa Carry seems to be very strong compared to cow leather, I also have a horse leather pancake holster where the snap part of the holster that goes over the slide on a 1911 when carried on cock and locked fails as the it tore almost in half from use. So yes leather does wear out just like anything else does.

Again thank you for your input and I appreciate it.
Old 04-07-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
...I will consent that the Milt Sparks Gusset is a little better, maybe I will do a video comparing the Milt sparks to the Master Holster model and post it on my youtube channel.

I can say that the snaps on the Master holster are much more firm than the Milt Sparks that is partially why I no longer use the Milt Sparks because the belt loops snaps are not as secure and tend to pop off for reason, this may because the Milt Sparks is more than 10 years old and the Master Holster is about a year old.
You are comparing this Sparks holster with your new holster?

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=917713
Quote:
I have found is an old Milt Sparks Summer Special I picked up used at a gun show but I just broke the loop on it.
Old 04-07-2020, 04:38 PM

Looks like I have kicked a bee hive here, for this I am sorry it was not my intention. I was simply pointing out that there are several brand of holsters that you can buy that work quite well and will not set you back a car payment to own one.

I will concede that the High Quality holster makers like Milt Sparks have more time and labor in them and may have better quality leather or kydex as well. This post was not meant as a slight to Milt Sparks in fact I have owned a Milt Sparks summer special for several years and carried it daily until the snaps began to fail on me. Also I am not blaming the Milt Sparks holster for the failure, as I said for a used holster it served me well for the better part of two years.

I actually priced a new Milt Sparks holster and found at this point in time the money for such a holster does not work me right now.

I just don't think for me anyway that it justifies the added cost to own one when I can have a good quality holster of similar style for about 1/3 the cost.

If any of the board want and have the means to buy and own a 200 or 300 dollar holster then by all means please do, and I am jealous.

My video was only to point out another option for a more economical holster that the masses including myself can afford better.

Thank you everyone for your inputs Please keep them coming.

Last edited by ToddRvs; 04-07-2020 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 04:49 PM

Quote:
You are comparing this Sparks holster with your new holster?

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=917713
Actually I was not comparing the Sparks to the Master Holster I was simply pointing out that Milt Sparks Snaps failed and I called Milt Sparks when it happen and he was unwilling to help as I bought the holster used and Sparks nor I could tell what a previous owner had done to this holster. I do not blame Sparks for this, as I see the point he made and I actually did not think he would replace it anyway as I was not the original owner, but it was worth a try. No Harm no Foul, as this was several years ago and I do not remember the extent of our conversation except that he was unwilling to fix or replace the holster so I went shopping for another and back then a new Summer Special was pushing $200.00 if memory serves me correctly.

Again I really enjoyed the Milt Sparks holster but at the time I could not afford $200.00 to replace it.

Again please forgive me, I was not trying to bad mouth or berate Milt Sparks as I find them to make a fine and outstanding holster and would love to own one again, and in the future I hope to.

Last edited by ToddRvs; 04-07-2020 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 05:31 PM

As I mentioned in my earlier post...
Quote:
I wasn't going to post regarding your OP, and be happy that you found holsters you like.
You are entitled to your opinion, and if you've found holsters you like, that's great...
Quote:
Actually I was not comparing the Sparks to the Master Holster I was simply pointing out that Milt Sparks Snaps failed and I called Milt Sparks when it happen and he was unwilling to help as I bought the holster used and Sparks nor I could tell what a previous owner had done to this holster. I do not blame Sparks for this, as I see the point he made and I actually did not think he would replace it anyway as I was not the original owner, but it was worth a try. No Harm no Foul, as this was several years ago and I do not remember the extent of our conversation except that he was unwilling to fix or replace the holster so I went shopping for another and back then a new Summer Special was pushing $200.00 if memory serves me correctly.

Again I really enjoyed the Milt Sparks holster but at the time I could not afford $200.00 to replace it.

Again please forgive me, I was not trying to bad mouth or berate Milt Sparks as I find them to make a fine and outstanding holster and would love to own one again, and in the future I hope to.
... As I also said previously, I don't own a Milt Sparks holster, and I may never get around to buying one, so I don't really have a dog in this fight, but I find it disingenuous to give erroneous information or give partial truths.

A Milt Sparks Summer Special costs $125 ( https://www.miltsparks.com/products-summer-special.php ) and is not a $200 holster. It just doesn't seem proper to compare your new holster to a holster you bought used, at a gun show, and not be up front with the folks in your initial post.

I appreciate the apology to the forum members, but I'd look it as a lesson learned from your end and ours.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
As I mentioned in my earlier post...

You are entitled to your opinion, and if you've found holsters you like, that's great...

... As I also said previously, I don't own a Milt Sparks holster, and I may never get around to buying one, so I don't really have a dog in this fight, but I find it disingenuous to give erroneous information or give partial truths.

A Milt Sparks Summer Special costs $125 ( https://www.miltsparks.com/products-summer-special.php ) and is not a $200 holster. It just doesn't seem proper to compare your new holster to a holster you bought used, at a gun show, and not be up front with the folks in your initial post.

I appreciate the apology to the forum members, but I'd look it as a lesson learned from your end and ours.
Thank you that is sound advice...
Old 04-07-2020, 06:48 PM

I guess it depends on your definition of "quality".

Those were definitely all <$50 holsters. But I did not see anything in the video that meets my definition of quality. I saw some ok leather (2-holsters) that might last a couple years of regular use. As for the Kydex stuff, plastic is plastic and should never be used in the same sentence w/ "quality"--especially not when talking 1911s.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because size matters.--Me
Weapon capacity is important for those planning to miss a lot.--Bruce Nelson
Old 04-07-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
I actually priced a new Milt Sparks holster and found at this point in time the money for such a holster does not work me right now.
Probably because you spent like $160 in $20 dollar holsters.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:58 PM

I have custom hand made gunbelts and western holsters made by a little two-man shop that are beautiful. Maybe I just don't know any better but they are great for me and cost less than $150. Those $200 holsters for carry weapons are just to good for someone like me. I will have to settle for the lesser custom made type. Somehow I will manage.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:08 AM

I don't know of any Milt Sparks holsters, unless it's a custom order, that cost anywhere near $200. You'll find out that the secret to comfortable carry is a top quality holster and belt. Any old bag can hold a gun if that's all you want. Most folks complaint about Sparks is the wait time. That means only one thing...it is a top quality product worth waiting for.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:02 AM

I think the independent holster makers charge well below the true value of their products, especially when factoring in the handmade character and quality that goes into them. Their careers are limited and if they donít pass on their craft, then their talents are lost forever. My goal is to support them whenever I can.

That said, not everyone has the knowledge to differentiate between the vast sea of holster products, nor do they have a genuine commitment to safely carry, not to mention the financial means to buy expensive holsters.

This combination of attributes, lends itself to the economy holster market, which in a way, can be a good thing. Iíd rather some folks use one of the holsters in he OPís review, as opposed to a super flimsy neoprene holster. In that regard, one of the reviewed $27-$47 holsters, could be money well spent compared to spending $15-$25 on holster thatís only a holster in name.

If youíre not going to carry your pistol, then even the super cheap neoprene holsters can be ideal for vehicle transport or purse carry. While the OPís review didnít quite go over as intended, it may benefit some folks who may elect to ditch their neoprene and snag something better.