Odd 45 Case bulge - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-05-2020, 11:20 PM

Odd 45 Case bulge

Shot a load I got from the Hornady book 10th edition and because I had prior experience with Unique with Hornady 230 FMJ bullets I just reduced the 6.6 max to 6.4. I did not notice any excessive recoil. However when resizing the brass I noticed this slight bulge in a definite U shape that I am hoping my pics do justice, and get some opinions on what the heck this is. The black case is a Browning case w the black nickel plate, the standard brass case is a Federal. Both were once fired with this reload.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
.45 ACP Case bulge 2.jpg   .45 ACP Case bulge.jpg  

Last edited by Top Cover; 04-05-2020 at 11:21 PM. Reason: was going to add, but not necessary
Old 04-05-2020, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cover View Post
Shot a load I got from the Hornady book 10th edition and because I had prior experience with Unique with Hornady 230 FMJ bullets I just reduced the 6.6 max to 6.4. I did not notice any excessive recoil. However when resizing the brass I noticed this slight bulge in a definite U shape that I am hoping my pics do justice, and get some opinions on what the heck this is. The black case is a Browning case w the black nickel plate, the standard brass case is a Federal. Both were once fired with this reload.

Thanks
I would be looking inside the chamber to see where this bulge/embossing is taking place, it is concerning.

LOG

Old 04-06-2020, 12:21 AM

^^

What Log said.

Also .2 is NOT 10% of 6.6. There's a reason the rule is 10% reduction to start. Every gun is slightly different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2020, 05:23 AM

It looks like your barrel's lower lug may be pulling away from the bottom of the barrel, taking the chamber floor with it. Hope I am wrong.

Look at this thread for comparison: https://www.1911forum.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=187083

Last edited by subscriber; 04-06-2020 at 05:27 AM.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:11 AM

Now THAT'S a frightening photo......
Old 04-06-2020, 08:13 AM

Yep, definitely a fault in the chamber. New barrel required.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:02 AM

Saw something similar...

Quote:
Originally Posted by subscriber View Post
It looks like your barrel's lower lug may be pulling away from the bottom of the barrel, taking the chamber floor with it. Hope I am wrong.

Look at this thread for comparison: https://www.1911forum.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=187083

Saw this in a low mileage Taurus!

Smiles,

Last edited by jjfitch; 04-06-2020 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:06 AM

Happened to me. I sent it back to the maker who said it had been misfit but they replaced it anyhow.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:19 AM

What details related to “misfit” did the maker offer? I would expect a response that listed what was done wrong...
Joe
Old 04-06-2020, 10:23 AM

They provided no details. I only sent the broken barrel, not the whole gun.
Old 04-06-2020, 02:22 PM

416 Stainless seems to Be the Probelm

After doing some more research on 1911s it seems that 416 stainless barrels vs 17-4PH barrels is the issue. From what I am reading 17-4PH barrels are 50-70+% stronger and are acceptable form pressure vessels.

According to what I am reading American Society of Mechanical Engineers(ASME) doesn't approve of 416 in pressure vessels.

Thanks for the replies and the help. My battle is now with Sig since I can now see the slight pattern on the bottom of the chamber with a good light. So a replacement barrel will be in order.

Thanks!
Old 04-06-2020, 02:26 PM

Thanks for the Observation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2734 View Post
^^

What Log said.

Also .2 is NOT 10% of 6.6. There's a reason the rule is 10% reduction to start. Every gun is slightly different.
I have used this load before with Unique that's why I used 6.4 this time, I never load max and always stay below after working up a load. I have now read where over time 416 stainless just fatigues thus not really ASME approved for this type of application.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:07 PM

Most barrel makers use 416R which has less sulfur than 416 and a little molybdenum.
Type 410 would be better and something like 17-4 PH even better. I have a Wilson barrel out of 17-4 but they changed to 416R.

If it can hold a rifle round, it is not the choice of steel that is your problem in a .45.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:22 PM

Would be telling to check to see that the lower lug was stopping the barrel against the VIS with a few thou under, or was the barrel stopping by link extension with the barrel hitting the frame bed?

LOG

Old 04-06-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
I have used this load before with Unique that's why I used 6.4 this time, I never load max and always stay below after working up a load. I have now read where over time 416 stainless just fatigues thus not really ASME approved for this type of application.
Your still missing the point. Unless you work up a load in that exact gun you really can not say it's a safe load.

Every chamber/barrel is going to have different tolerances. More then one reloading article has been written about this. The exact same load in 10 different guns will give 10 different velocities.
Old 04-06-2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2734 View Post
...a safe load.
An unsafe load is likely to bulge the case at the feed ramp. A Dangerous load is likely to blow out the case at the feedramp. No evidence offered by OP to support this.

Also, what about the .45 Super? Doesn't that just have a thicker case web, that operates at much higher pressure? The front portion of the case is not thicker, and would transfer the pressure directly to the chamber wall in the area that is (probably) cracked in the OP's barrel.

That said, SIG might argue that there is no warranty for reloaded ammo...

Last edited by subscriber; 04-06-2020 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:04 PM

Quote:
An unsafe load is likely to bulge the case at the feed ramp. A Dangerous load is likely to blow out the case at the feedramp. No evidence offered by OP to support this.

Also, what about the .45 Super? Doesn't that just have a thicker case web, that operates at much higher pressure? The front portion of the case is not thicker, and would transfer the pressure directly to the chamber wall in the area that is (probably) cracked in the OP's barrel.

That said, SIG might argue that there is no warranty for reloaded ammo...
And you Sir are missing the point of my discussion with the OP.

It's not about brass or how a case blows out. It's about the basic precautions most loaders, regardless of how many or how few rounds we've loaded, should follow.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:50 PM

Mark2734,

You are correct that safe load development practices should always be observed. Either -10% of max, or the listed minimum starting load should be observed, when any part of the system has changed; including a new gun, barrel, or any of the ammo components.

It is likely that the OP's barrel failure would have occurred eventually with almost any load. Considering the weak link in the 1911 pressure vessel system is the case web, if that does not bulge even slightly, there is no concern about an overload causing the damage to seen to the OP's barrel.

I agree that getting away with poor reloading practice once, should not be seen as encouragement to go ahead and blow up the next time. And when I say blow up, this will almost certainly be the case web in a properly fitted 1911. Blowing up the barrel via an overload will take some doing; unless there is also a squib bullet stuck directly in front of the chamber.

A case web failure has a tendency to fragment the grips and could absolutely damage the hand. More importantly, brass fragments thrown towards one's eyeballs is not going to do them any good. Even with eyepro.

I am more concerned about the OP continuing to shoot that gun, and particularly that barrel (with any ammo), than his risky reloads in a otherwise sound 1911. I did not notice you suggesting he stop shooting it. So, it seems that you are focused on reloading procedure; and being right. I am focused on obvious risk, and its most probably cause and mitigation. In this case, it is almost certainly the barrel material, manufacturing procedure or fitting method that is the primary factor. Shooting it with any load will contribute to its failure, as a secondary factor. Hotter loads will make it fail faster. Even if they are not overloads.

You bringing up the OP's non-standard load development suggests you think it may have contributed to the risky artifacts seen in his fired cases (else, why are you participating in this thread?). I provided logic that his loads were not over-pressure because of the total lack of bulging at the case web. You want to scare him straight, towards better load development. I want him to check his barrel for cracks and to stop shooting that gun, if there is any hint of trouble with the barrel. Because it will most likely blow up on him if he continues to use it; even with -10% loads. The latter is the real, imminent and obvious risk. As in, not theoretical or procedural.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:04 PM

Consider what ruptured and what held, when a .300 Blackout round was fired from a .223 AR: https://rifleshooter.com/2019/08/ano...barrel-kaboom/

The case web let go. The barrel extension cracked. The bolt lugs are distorted. The carrier fractured. The upper receiver cracked.

Yet, surprisingly the barrel is undistorted (although I would not recommend using it again).

Yes, this a different system (operating at much higher pressure; with that exceeded due to the barrel obstruction). However, if everything else is OK, but the barrel cracked through the chamber, I would suspect the barrel integrity as primary factor here too. I would look hard for evidence of squib damage. And that looks different, depending on where the first bullet sticks down the barrel.

EDIT: Here is another occurrence of the above type of overload, with barrel damage not being obvious either: https://rifleshooter.com/2019/06/kab...-56-223-ar-15/

Last edited by subscriber; 04-06-2020 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 01:05 AM

Quote:

Thanks
Seeing the position of the bulge and the normal appearance of the primer and the web zone I think not an overload but a defective barrel. Or a bullet stopped in the barrel just after the throat (but in this case the bulge should be ring shaped).

Last edited by FrancescoP; 04-07-2020 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:05 AM

I agree that it probably isn't an over pressure problem, but either quality or not correctly installed and fitted barrel. Folks ask what can happen if the barrel hits the bed first and doesn't stop against the VIS, this is one of the possible results. Broken link another.

LOG

Old 04-07-2020, 12:01 PM

Thread title change to: two guys argue about something that had nothing to do with the problem at hand.
Old 04-07-2020, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper_29 View Post
Thread title change to: two guys argue about something that had nothing to do with the problem at hand.
You can add, "with commentary about that, that also has nothing to do with the problem at hand".

What is you opinion about the case artifact and the OP's observed in-chamber defect?
Old 04-07-2020, 07:24 PM

Quote:
what is you opinion about the case artifact and the op's observed in-chamber defect?
[quote=log man;13117516]I agree that it probably isn't an over pressure problem, but either quality or not correctly installed and fitted barrel.

Folks ask what can happen if the barrel hits the bed first and doesn't stop against the VIS, this is one of the possible results. Broken link another.

LOG

Old 04-07-2020, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by log man View Post
Folks ask what can happen if the barrel hits the bed first and doesn't stop against the VIS, this is one of the possible results. Broken link another.

LOG
I was one of those folks. Thanks again for your information and getting me to modify my drop in USGI barrel to ensure this does not happen.