1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-03-2020, 06:42 PM

This will be my very first real gun

Hi,
I'm new to this forum and new to gun ownership. My first gun is expected to arrive next week...it's a Rock Island 1911 GI 9mm. I've got a few questions to you guys who are familiar with this 9mm model or other Rock Island 1911 pistols:

1) What are the first things to do when I get it?

2) How do I know it is in good shape?

3) Where can I find a compatible magazine? I want to buy extras.

4) Where can I find compatible grips for this model? I prefer checkered type grips.

Thank you all in advance!

P.S. I was expecting a Browning 1911 .22LR as my first gun, but I don't know when it's going to get shipped, so I ordered this 9mm.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:43 PM

I have a Rock Island that has the 22 TCM and 9mm barrels and it's great so far. I've only used the 9mm barrel.

1. Clean it and make sure it functions correctly. If it's new (and a Rock Island Armory) then it will have A LOT of shipping oil on it. Good luck.
2. Watch some videos to see how it's supposed to function and check it out (?)
3. I have Wilson Combats for mine, but mine uses .38 Super mags- all of my .45 ACP mags from them are also great. I would expect no less of the 9mm ones.
4. I would think they're all the same for 1911s. You can probably google it and find a ton.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:05 PM

Another thing to remember with the 1911 platform and this being your first handgun.
Do not limp wrist it when firing. Limp wristing will cause you several jamming problems and you will blame the the pistol it self.
If you have a consistent jamming problem, get someone that is familiar with shooting 1911s to shoot a few magazines through your pistol to see if the problem happens with them before you come this forum condemning the 1911 and RIA.

And even with it firing 9mm new shooters will quickly develop a flinch then bash their firearms as not being accurate even saying they can’t even hit the backstop let alone the target. If your firearm seems to get inaccurate all of a sudden, go shooting with a friend or two and have them load a snap cap somewhere in the magazine that you don’t know where it is and observe you while shooting. When you hit the snap cap, it will be very obvious to them if you are flinching when pulling the trigger.

Last edited by Steam Boat; 04-03-2020 at 08:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2020, 09:09 PM

Find a shooting range that offers safety classes & handgun handling training.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:40 AM

This will be my very first real gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deyomatic View Post
I have a Rock Island that has the 22 TCM and 9mm barrels and it's great so far. I've only used the 9mm barrel.

4. I would think they're all the same for 1911s. You can probably google it and find a ton.

For a GI model, I would also expect it to take any 1911 grips.

The 9mm/22TCM is different because of the tab to cover the gap in the MSH. Selection is very limited. These are on eBay for $65.

Old 04-04-2020, 10:26 AM

First off, good choice. A 1911 in 9mm will be a nice, relatively soft shooter.

It may or may not have a lot of shipping/packing oil on it. I bought a Citadel 1911 (sister company of RI) as well as a RI 1911 Ultra Match, both new, and neither of those had much shipping oil on them.

I would recommend doing a basic field strip. This will enable you to become familiar with the basics of the 1911 as well as give you access to clean and lube before first firing.

IMHO, not necessary to to a detail frame strip at first. Just get the slide off, barrel, bushing and recoil spring out. Here's a couple of links to videos put out by RI on how to disassemble and re-assemble. Should help get you out of the gate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWHQHJb_CkQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEF1...4D68BD&index=3

As far as lubrication, I would recommend don't be stingy on the frame rails and the grooves in the slide which ride on those rails. There's a lot of metal sliding on metal as the gun operates.

Good luck. Hope this has been of some assistance.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:28 AM

Should be a pleasant shooter. My RIA government 1911 in 45 can wear you out. My 9mm Taurus 1911 government is a joy. I would just field strip it, clean it, use a couple of drops of oil in the rail guides and put it back together. Shoot it. Any 9mm 1911 magazine should work, provided they are for a government model. Wilson, Taurus, etc. are all ok . Start out shooting fmj stuff. Mine gets steady diet of fmj and lead round nose. Not a defensive gun, so no need for exotic stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2020, 12:53 PM

Oh yeah... no lube in the striker channel... run it dry.
Old 04-04-2020, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covid-1911 View Post
1. Where can I find a compatible magazine? I want to buy extras.

2. Where can I find compatible grips for this model? I prefer checkered type grips.
1. Recommend you try Wilson Combat, Mec-Gar, and ATC for aftermarket mags. Other good ones too I'm sure; someone will add to this list.

2. Loads of nice grips out there for 1911s. Is it a FS (full size), i.e. 5" barrel?

An excellent starter 1911 BTW. Soft shooting, cheaper ammo, old school. A history lesson in your hand. Never sell it as it is your first, but buy a higher-level one later. You'll love 'em both for what they are. The front sight is a limitation, but a little white paint will help. And anyway it was good enough for tens of thousands of GIs..... :-P
Equal opportunity, not equal outcome.
Old 04-04-2020, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZanderMan View Post
Oh yeah... no lube in the striker channel... run it dry.
Ummmm, heís getting a 1911, not a G-Lock...........
Old 04-04-2020, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam Boat View Post
Ummmm, heís getting a 1911, not a G-Lock...........

Haha my bad!
Old 04-04-2020, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Haha my bad!
But removing the firing pin stop, firing pin, spring and extractor, thoroughly cleaning the channels & all parts and firing pin hole on the breech face is recommended. Then very lightly lubing everything before reassembly to prevent rust is also good to do.
Old 04-06-2020, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covid-1911 View Post
Hi,

1) What are the first things to do when I get it?

2) How do I know it is in good shape?

3) Where can I find a compatible magazine? I want to buy extras.

4) Where can I find compatible grips for this model? I prefer checkered type grips.
Just make sure it functions with regular FMJ ammo first. Then you will probably want to think about rounding off the spur of the grip safety, and maybe bobbing the hammer to prevent hammer bite.

The Chip McCormick 9mm magazines are 100%, in my experience.

The VZ grips are amazing, but any full-size government -model grip should work.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2020, 02:44 AM

Quote:
For a GI model, I would also expect it to take any 1911 grips.

The 9mm/22TCM is different because of the tab to cover the gap in the MSH. Selection is very limited. These are on eBay for $65.

Those are double-stack grips. The tab is to cover the slot at the back of the frame for the wide trigger bow.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2020, 03:22 AM

Congrats on your first 1911. The very first thing you should do prior to firing the pistol with live ammo is to do a safety and function check. Here is a good video on doing a thorough check on your new gun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTLx3EVfQB0
Old 04-06-2020, 05:06 AM

FIRST:

1. All guns are always loaded

2. Never let your muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy

3. Keep your finger OFF the trigger until you are sighted on a target

4. Know your target and what's behind it

All other is secondary. Get some good basic training to become a safe shooter.
Old 04-06-2020, 05:34 AM

Quote:

1. Clean it and make sure it functions correctly. If it's new (and a Rock Island Armory) then it will have A LOT of shipping oil on it. Good luck.
3. I have Wilson Combats for mine, but mine uses .38 Super mags- all of my .45 ACP mags from them are also great. I would expect no less of the 9mm ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starship Enterpris View Post
FIRST:

1. All guns are always loaded

2. Never let your muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy

3. Keep your finger OFF the trigger until you are sighted on a target

4. Know your target and what's behind it

All other is secondary. Get some good basic training to become a safe shooter.
With out this itís an accident waiting to happen!!!

Also,
1: donít forget to take many pictures of yout new gun.
2: After checking to make sure the guy is empty, take several selfies with the gun.
3: Start looking for your next 5 or 6 1911ís you will buy. A second job will help you pay for your new addiction.
Old 04-06-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Rocker View Post
First off, good choice. A 1911 in 9mm will be a nice, relatively soft shooter.

I would recommend doing a basic field strip. This will enable you to become familiar with the basics of the 1911 as well as give you access to clean and lube before first firing.

IMHO, not necessary to to a detail frame strip at first. Just get the slide off, barrel, bushing and recoil spring out. Here's a couple of links to videos put out by RI on how to disassemble and re-assemble. Should help get you out of the gate.

As far as lubrication, I would recommend don't be stingy on the frame rails and the grooves in the slide which ride on those rails. ..

Good luck. Hope this has been of some assistance.
Just wanted to repost this advice, so you get it in your head :-)
Old 04-06-2020, 04:46 PM

Quote:

Thanks!
Old 04-06-2020, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Another thing to remember with the 1911 platform and this being your first handgun.
Do not limp wrist it when firing. Limp wristing will cause you several jamming problems and you will blame the the pistol it self.
If you have a consistent jamming problem, get someone that is familiar with shooting 1911s to shoot a few magazines through your pistol to see if the problem happens with them before you come this forum condemning the 1911 and RIA.

And even with it firing 9mm new shooters will quickly develop a flinch then bash their firearms as not being accurate even saying they canít even hit the backstop let alone the target. If your firearm seems to get inaccurate all of a sudden, go shooting with a friend or two and have them load a snap cap somewhere in the magazine that you donít know where it is and observe you while shooting. When you hit the snap cap, it will be very obvious to them if you are flinching when pulling the trigger.
I have never owned a gun before, so don't know how to criticize and bash a gun (I think). Also, I "preach" not to make any judgment until all facts are established...I practice what I preach (but I'm not a preacher).
Old 04-06-2020, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Rocker View Post
... Here's a couple of links to videos put out by RI on how to disassemble and re-assemble. Should help get you out of the gate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWHQHJb_CkQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEF1...4D68BD&index=3....
Thanks!
Old 04-06-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TominMO View Post
1. Recommend you try Wilson Combat, Mec-Gar, and ATC for aftermarket mags. Other good ones too I'm sure; someone will add to this list.

2. Loads of nice grips out there for 1911s. Is it a FS (full size), i.e. 5" barrel?

An excellent starter 1911 BTW. Soft shooting, cheaper ammo, old school. A history lesson in your hand. Never sell it as it is your first, but buy a higher-level one later. You'll love 'em both for what they are. The front sight is a limitation, but a little white paint will help. And anyway it was good enough for tens of thousands of GIs..... :-P
Thanks!
I'm coming from archery without sights shooting up to 80 yards (60 yards is my favorite spot), so I will be patient with whatever sight my 1911 comes with.
Old 04-06-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
But removing the firing pin stop, firing pin, spring and extractor, thoroughly cleaning the channels & all parts and firing pin hole on the breech face is recommended. Then very lightly lubing everything before reassembly to prevent rust is also good to do.
Is that recommended before shooting with it the first time or after some hundred rounds?
Old 04-06-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban View Post
... Then you will probably want to think about rounding off the spur of the grip safety, and maybe bobbing the hammer to prevent hammer bite....
Would I need a gunsmith to do that for me? Or could I do that myself without worry of messing it up?
Old 04-06-2020, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkammer View Post
Congrats on your first 1911. The very first thing you should do prior to firing the pistol with live ammo is to do a safety and function check. Here is a good video on doing a thorough check on your new gun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTLx3EVfQB0
That is very informative. Thanks!