1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-13-2020, 03:45 PM

OLD eyes new sights Mil Spec-Opinions please

Hi Guys,
looking to swap out the GI style with something easier for me to pick up with my 58 yo eyes. Mainly a range gun but I'm not into adjustable. I would love some suggestions. Thank you in advance!-Steve
Old 03-13-2020, 04:33 PM

I purchased the Mil-Spec sights from Springfield Armory and had a local gunsmith replace them.
You will need to have the Mil-Spec front sight staked in. This is a marked improvement over GI sights and still somewhat keep to the classic look.
Old 03-13-2020, 04:53 PM

The 3 dot sights on my Defender (Mil Spec) work great. I'm 69 and wear bi-focals. In other words, my vision sucks, but the sights are very easy to pick up for me.
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2020, 08:30 PM

Check Dawson Precision and Novak sights.

Look for high profile rear + Fiber optic front

Smiles
Old 03-13-2020, 10:14 PM

For the OP, do you have a Mil-Spec with 3-dot sights or is it a GI model with the small GI sights?

I think the 3-dot Mil-Spec sights are pretty decent, though I would look for something different if I had GI sights on the gun.

You could try painting the front sight with a bright color to make it show easier.

Here's an article about Tom Given's and his choice for sights (it's a Glock, but the point is the same)

https://civiliandefender.com/2016/04...vens-glock-35/
Quote:
...the front sight is painted with bright red/orange paint.
Old 03-14-2020, 10:15 PM

I have Trijicon HD in yellow. Very nice sized U on the rear sight. The tritium on the rear sight you only see at night. They don't 'jump' out at me when I'm range/daylight shooting like some other tritium sights do. And you most definitely won't have any trouble finding the front sight.

https://www.trijicon.com/products/pr...r-1911-pistols
Old 03-15-2020, 08:05 AM

Trijicon HDs are the brightest handgun sights around, and I have them on all of my Glocks and M&Ps. However, on a 1911 I'd want something more classic looking. Plus, the fact that your front sight is staked-on adds some difficulty. On my Springer Mil-spec is a set of Harrison Retro Extremes installed by ACW as part of a "Retro" package. The front is cross-dovetailed in and has a gold dot. The rear is the very stock looking Retro Extreme. They are great sights, but not bright. You could send your slide to Novaks and they'll install a big, bright, tritium dot front sight, and their excellent rear sight, refinish the slide and have it back to you in a couple of weeks. And the price is reasonable.
Old 03-15-2020, 08:14 AM

Click image for larger version

Name:	02324595-42CB-4BD7-90C7-D720ED8FAFEB.jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	911.3 KB
ID:	577208
One picture is worth a thousand words.
Old 03-15-2020, 12:18 PM

Thanks guys. I should have been more clear. I have GI sights on the milspec. I assume with most upgrades my smith would have to mill?
Old 03-15-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicksdad View Post
Thanks guys. I should have been more clear. I have GI sights on the milspec.
I'm still a little confused, since the typical Mil-Spec doesn't have GI sights. Are there dots on these sights? Did you swap out the ones that come on the Mil-Spec? Is this a very old Mil-Spec when they may have come with GI sights?
Old 03-15-2020, 01:11 PM

For instance, the current Mil-Spec

https://www.springfield-armory.com/p...l-spec-45-acp/

Quote:
SIGHTS
Combat, 3 - Dot
Old 03-21-2020, 02:44 PM

OLD eyes new sights Mil Spec-Opinions please

And this is a image of theSpringfield Armory GI model:

Notice the tiny GI style sights, are they the ones on your pistol ?

Last edited by Steam Boat; 03-21-2020 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:29 AM

I changed out the sight on my Mil Spec to Tru Glo TFX Pro. They are great.

From here on, if I want something nice, Guncrafter will make it
COTEP CBOB0691
Old 03-24-2020, 07:17 AM
1911 Aficionado

The factory Mil-Spec sights are excellent.
I'm not a fan of dots, but some or all can be blacked out.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:24 AM

If you’re looking at just “range” use, a red dot is very hard to beat. Some do carry with them and there are holsters available but in my opinion it’s awkward at best. I have a couple.

Most of mine have a fiber optic front which is easier to pickup for my 66yr old eye’s. Also got to give a big shout out to Dawson Precision that fixed my Mil Spec Thompson .45 that was a constant problem with throwing the front stake-on tenon front sight off even after having a local 1911 “expert” gunsmith stake a new one in, lasted 4 shots and when I called him he said he was slammed and would call me once he had an opening to work on it,,,,, all I’ve heard is crickets for 3yrs now.

After fixing it twice myself and it only lasting a few thousand rounds I sent it to Dawson for another fiber optic tenon sight, it did last about 2k rds before coming off, a call to Dawson resulted in MrDawson himself calling me to say he would make it right, which he did, had me send it back on his dime milled a proper novak style groove in the slide ( I did have to pay a very minimal charge for the mill work) and custom made a sight to fit, It is a very tall sight & mailed it back again on his dime, great people. The initial sales guy I talked to said Mr Dawson took personal interest in this and did the work himself, great company, great people, first rate, highly recommended !

Last edited by passx; 03-24-2020 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
The factory Mil-Spec sights are excellent.
I'm not a fan of dots, but some or all can be blacked out.
JB Weld fills the holes of the dots easily enough.

For what it's worth, the sights that come in Springfield's are pretty good. I'm speaking of the higher profile, non GI sights.

That said, my 1995 Champion had a front sight that was way too tall. Shot 8" low at 25 yards. File work corrected that and 25 years later it's still on the gun.