1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-13-2020, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Just a quick FYI...

Midway USA has the flat blued steel Gold Cup mainspring housings currently in stock for around $48. Just a few dollars more than the Les Baer housings and they fit Colt frames nicely without needing additional fitting. I just got one for my 1911 Classic to replace the plastic one that was on it. I've been going back and forth between a flat or an arched housing and finally decided I prefer the flat, but the plastic one I had on it just had to go.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:04 PM

Yeah, thanks for the heads up. I too have been looking for one.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Midway USA has the flat blued steel Gold Cup mainspring housings currently in stock for around $48. Just a few dollars more than the Les Baer housings and they fit Colt frames nicely without needing additional fitting. I just got one for my 1911 Classic to replace the plastic one that was on it. I've been going back and forth between a flat or an arched housing and finally decided I prefer the flat, but the plastic one I had on it just had to go.
Thanks the plastic has to go!

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2020, 10:34 PM

Thanks here as well; I got two!
Old 01-14-2020, 08:55 AM

Thanks for the heads up, I just ordered three of them.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:00 AM

Thanks for the heads up. Placed an order.

NRA Life-Benefactor
Old 01-14-2020, 06:01 PM

Thanks. I was looking for one with the grooves but also a lanyard loop.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcalcutt View Post
Thanks. I was looking for one with the grooves but also a lanyard loop.
I don't think you'll find both with the Colt parts. I wanted a lanyard loop and had to settle for the flat, smooth MSH for an O1918, also obtained from Midway. Love it, love it, love it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180112_133103963(1) 800x600.jpg  
Old 01-14-2020, 09:47 PM
Administrator

Unfortunately nobody that I know of offers a serrated housing with a lanyard loop. I've seen some checkered ones, but to me those look a bit odd on a basic plain-jane 1911.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately nobody that I know of offers a serrated housing with a lanyard loop. I've seen some checkered ones, but to me those look a bit odd on a basic plain-jane 1911.
I believe Cylinder and Slide will put a lanyard loop on any MSH you send them IIRC.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:49 PM

Where have all the "plastic" arched M/S housings gone? I've had one on order (Brownell's) for a year!

Any "plastic" arched M/S housings out there looking for a new home?

For sale? Trade? or Pay it forward?

I have a new Officer Size, Checkmate, 9mm magazine to trade or post on the "Pay it Forward Thread!

All the best,

Last edited by jjfitch; 01-14-2020 at 10:54 PM.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfitch View Post
Where have all the "plastic" arched M/S housings gone? I've had one on order (Brownell's) for a year!

For sale? Trade? or Pay it forward?

I have a new Officer Size, Checkmate, 9mm magazine to trade or post on the "Pay it Forward Thread!

All the best,

I'm pretty sure I have on around here I'm not using. I'll around to see if I can find it.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:29 AM

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Face View Post
I'm pretty sure I have on around here I'm not using. I'll around to see if I can find it.
I check PM's daily!
Old 01-15-2020, 11:37 AM

Pale face, I liked the looks of that smooth mainspring housing you showed. I went to Midways website and couldn't find it. Any other ideas? It seems like I saw a couple on Ebay but the quality didn't seem that good.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:07 PM

I don't know where Pale Face obtained his, but EGW sells them:

https://www.egwguns.com/mainspring-h...loop-ww2-11456

and I think Smith & Alexander does too:

http://www.smithandalexander.com/spr-housing.html
Old 01-15-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
DSK Can you drop in a link to the midway MSH....I cant seem to find it....yeah Iím internet challenged apparently
Old 01-15-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod727 View Post
DSK Can you drop in a link to the midway MSH....I cant seem to find it....yeah I’m internet challenged apparently
I know I'm not dsk, but since I saw your post:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019930789?pid=963336
Old 01-15-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Robinson View Post
I know I'm not dsk, but since I saw your post:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019930789?pid=963336
Awesome......thank you!
Old 01-15-2020, 07:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:

I've got spare plastic flat housings coming out the wazoo, but the only plastic arched one I have is in use. Colt hasn't used plastic arched housings in a long time so I'm surprised they even still list them for sale. Have you been checking eBay frequently?
Old 01-15-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:

thanks dsk

do you have a thought on an very small magwell that would attach well to this msh?
Old 01-15-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
I check PM's daily!
I need to look through a BUNCH of clutter in my home office but I'll let you know whether or not I find it. All I'll need after that is a shipping address.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcalcutt View Post
Pale face, I liked the looks of that smooth mainspring housing you showed. I went to Midways website and couldn't find it. Any other ideas? It seems like I saw a couple on Ebay but the quality didn't seem that good.
It wasn't what I was originally looking for (I thought I wanted an arched, grooved MSH in blue, but I wanted the Colt P/N, not an aftermarket. Couldn't find it anywhere, but when I saw the smooth MSH with lanyadr loop and it was a Colt part number. the light bulb went on. Since I was already in process of sending it to Dave Severns for refinishing, I asked him to refinish that one to match. He said it dropped in perfectly.

BTW, I really hate that he seems to be out of business. His Hard Hat finish really did elevate the appearance of the pistol from mediocre to outstanding.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:09 PM

I have a few genuine Colt flat serrated MSHs that also have a lanyard loop. I like them a lot and wish I had more. I have looked for them a few times and can not find them for sale. I got them in some part lots of unwanted M45A1 parts. I wish Colt would offer them for sale.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:13 PM

I also have a arched nylon Colt MHS for trade. Mine is made to match a stainless 1911.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:18 PM

I also have nylon arched MSH in black for trade if anyone is interested. No guts