pin a grip safety - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-02-2020, 10:02 AM

pin a grip safety

First off this is for a competition gun, not for self defense..

What is the best way to pin a grip safety?

Thanks for any help!
Old 03-02-2020, 10:09 AM

I put a 1/8 inch roll pin into the grip safety just above the ledge that holds it underneath the mainspring housing. The pin just fills the space between the compressed grip safety and the mainspring housing so it stays disengaged.

You could use a smaller pin if that's what you have, but the 1/8" pin makes it easy for me to locate the hole.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2020, 07:43 PM
1911 Aficionado

I cut a shock-buff in half, and trim so that it sits on top of the mainspring housing without hanging-over anywhere, then trap the grip safety in the depressed position as you install the MSH (the little "feet" on the grip safety dig into the resilient plastic, preventing it from engaging).
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2020, 04:04 AM

Pinning a grip safety......

First off, a properly built gun should not need the grip safety to be pinned. However, a bad grip on the draw might not allow he grip safety to release, so may competitors may use a beaver tail grip safety with a "hump" on the lower end of the grip safety. For most shooters, this should help to depress the grip safety even with a bad grip/draw from the holster.......

Many pistol competitions have rules that might say, "all safeties designed for the gun should operate properly...." I would make sure you know the rules of the competitive pistol shooting sport you most often shoot.....
Old 03-03-2020, 05:52 AM
Administrator

If the problem is inconsistent deactivation of the grip safety when using the strong thumb on safety grip, another option is to use a lowered thumb safety.
Old 03-03-2020, 06:44 AM

The EASIEST way is wrap a couple strips of tape around it.

It don't git no easier nat.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:24 AM

I agree with Rwe.. that a properly built gun does not need the safety deactivated. I have, however pinned a few for other guys because they wanted it. I don't have any 'humped' safeties but have tuned my GSs so that a minimal movement will lift the lever out of the path of the trigger bow. It's not really hard to do. The ones that I pinned got the pin in the MSH.
Old 03-03-2020, 11:31 AM

IDPA and NRA do not allow deactivated grip safeties.
USPSA does.
Old 03-03-2020, 12:31 PM

I use the shockbuff method. It works great. Cut an old shockbuff in half, slide the mainspring housing down a bit, place shockbuff on top of mainspring housing, depress grip safety and slide up mainspring housing, and replace pin. The shockbuff holds the grip safety in the depressed position. Easy to remove when necessiary. As when doing any work of this sort, always function test your gun afterwards, with only one round in the magazine.
Old 03-03-2020, 02:16 PM

The shockbuff shim will work on "some" guns but like any "drop in" part it will not work on all of them. Too much variation in buff thickness and MSH /grip safety gap - I have seen the buff work its way out on quite a few guns. If you need your grip safety pinned then just pin the stupid thing or disable it with a file. Any grip safety that prevents you from firing the gun when you desperately need to is not a "safety device" - it is a defect.
Old 03-03-2020, 03:02 PM

I worked for quite some time before I could finally high grip with thumb over safety and get the gs to disengage. It came down to about five features I build into my pistols to accomplish that.
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.
Old 03-03-2020, 04:32 PM

I hate the GS and suspect it's probably gotten more than one good guy shot when his pistol wouldn't fire because of a hurried bad grip..
Old 03-03-2020, 05:35 PM

One could adjust the grip safety so that very little movement is required to deactivate it while still allowing it to work as a safety as intended.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:35 PM
1911 Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
IDPA and NRA do not allow deactivated grip safeties.
USPSA does.
And, looking around at local USPSA matches, I'd say 75% of them are pinned.
Old 03-03-2020, 11:00 PM

From CK Arms: "The CK Arms Beavertail Grip Plug is used to replace the .250" radius grip safety in the 1911/2011 platform. It is a trapped design so it does not move or pivot when installed which eliminates the need to pin the beavertail. Many competition shooters realize the high grip achieved in more modern 1911 grip and frame designs can often make it difficult to adequately depress the grip safety. This part is a drop in replacement (often needs no blending) that solves this issue. They are machined from hardened 416 stainless steel."
Old 03-04-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4whlr View Post
One could adjust the grip safety so that very little movement is required to deactivate it while still allowing it to work as a safety as intended.
Nope. Once your hand gets above a certain point (the pin the GS pivots on) your hand is no longer rotating the lower half into the frame. It is rotating out because you are pushing on the top half only. Humps and adjustments cannot overcome that. This is why so many people pin them down or disable them. The very popular extreme high grip is the real problem. If you need the gun to be able to fire NO MATTER HOW you grip it the grip safety needs to go.

Last edited by drail; 03-04-2020 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-04-2020, 05:48 PM

Drail nailed it. One can fit a high hold type grip safety such as a Brown, JEM, old CMC Extreme if you can locate one (Kimber works as well). I work the area just to the front of the thumb safety pin to the get my hand more up and into the frame rather than high on the grip safety. You can modify virtually any grip safety to achieve the same contour. That and about 4 or 5 other features as alluded to earlier round out the modifications for thumb over safety hold and reliable grip safety deactivation.
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.
Old 03-04-2020, 07:23 PM

Never mind

Last edited by TGR; 03-04-2020 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-04-2020, 08:07 PM

A second grip safety would be simpler and more practical. The only lockwork adjustment would be the trigger bow blocking lug on the gs. Changing a trigger will require more fitting and adjustment depending on its dimensions.

Simplest step I see if disabling the gs id truly the goal, pin it. Nothing to chafe, wear or rattle loose, readily put back into function.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:29 PM

never mind

Last edited by TGR; 03-04-2020 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-05-2020, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drail View Post
This is why so many people pin them down or disable them. The very popular extreme high grip is the real problem. If you need the gun to be able to fire NO MATTER HOW you grip it the grip safety needs to go.
Skewing off-topic slightly, if you don't like the 1911 grip safety and you want to shoot with a sanctioning body that prohibits pinning the safety, you could use a Ballester-Molina frame.

The Ballester-Molina was "simplified" version of the 1911; most of it is standard 1911 bits, except with a Star type pivoting trigger and no grip safety.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:21 AM

Just my opinion - but any sanctioning body that would ban the disabling of something as dumb as a grip safety for your "safety" clearly shows that they have no idea how it works or what it's purpose is. It only blocks the trigger. That's all it does. The hammer and the sear are still free to move if the gun is dropped. If your competitors are running around with their fingers on the trigger of a loaded gun when they're not supposed to then you have a much bigger problem than requiring a functional grip safety. Some years ago when air bags were first introduced on production automobiles accident investigators were dumbstruck when they found that a truly disturbing number of drivers actually believed that they could run red lights anytime they wanted with total impunity just because they had an air bag in their car. People actually believed that. Think about that for a moment.......

Last edited by drail; 03-05-2020 at 08:25 AM.