1911Forum banner

magnum research "Desert Eagle"" review

72K views 49 replies 28 participants last post by  Shingomatic 
#1 ·
Out of the box first thing I didn't like was the big Desert Eagle logo along the slide, what ever ,Then I picked up the weapon felt great in my hand and the weight was fantastic lots of bells and whistles for the price without paying the price .Took the weapon to the range and was pleased no malfunctions after several rounds of several differant makes.Started at ten yards all rounds found their mark no big deal I know ,the same for 20 ,40 ,.50.This weapon shot great ,felt great ,fixed sights and everything a classic 1911 should have . My buddy brought his sig 1911 beautiful gun I might add,fired some rounds from the Desert eagle fell in love, he didn't beleave the price I paid which was 711.00 total tax an everything he called me yesterday and told me he just ordered his Desert Eagle . I know their are a lot of 1911 snobbs out there but for the money you spent on the Desert Eagle your getting more than your moneys worth.Witch to me is a bargain..Check one out one day ..Magnum Research thank you making a fantastic 1911 and for the price :rock:

#2 ·
Congratulations on your new pistol! Shoot and enjoy.
I know their are a lot of 1911 snobbs out there but for the money you spent on the Desert Eagle your getting more than your moneys worth.
No doubt there are some snobs out there, but I don't think most of those owning higher priced 1911s are "snobs." Most start with something else and may still have them. I've been having a lot of fun shooting an STI/Armscor Philippine 1911 lately.

#3 ·
I've owned a DE1911 since last November, and I've likewise had nothing but positive experiences with it. IMO, it's the best value of quality and features available in a low to mid priced 1911 on the market today. The first thing that naysayers bring up is the size of the rollmark on the slide, and I'll agree that I'd prefer that that was much more subdued. But, it was a non-issue for me after I closely inspected and held the gun and tried the trigger. Everyone I've had occasion to speak with in person or online about them has also had similar things to say.

Congratulations on choosing the Desert Eagle. I'm sure you'll be happy with it for a long time.

#4 ·
It should be nice, Charles Daly did all the market research for them. :biglaugh:

The original Daly was better looking too. :eek:

#5 ·
DE 1911 C model

I just purchased the Desert Eagle 1911 C, commander size model this weekend at a local gun show. I was torn between this one and the Kimber commander size, which was only about $60.00 more, but I really thought the DE was better made, i.e., fit, finish, and quality of parts.

Hope to range it this week, weather permitting. Glad to see others here are satisfied with their DE's. :)

#6 ·
yea I got the ''C'' model

yea pawdog I got the ''C'' model I'am in love with this weapon. I thought about using it as my primary carry just to big , so being the guy I am went out and bought an armscor 1911 3'' looks just like the DE .The only thing Ill change is the grips I prefer rubber ..but the walnut grips look great. Have fun at the range ..yea like I need to tell you that .

#7 ·
Got to tell you, I tried the trigger on this gun and checked it out at a local gun store... for the price, I agree, you cant beat it. i have never felt a production, non custom shop enhanced gun with as nice a trigger. I didnt like however, the distracting marks on the rear sigh and mushy thum safety. Other than that, the DE 1911 is well made and I would get one If my heart wasnt set on a Sig 1911 STX

#8 ·
Got to tell you, I tried the trigger on this gun and checked it out at a local gun store...for the price, I agree, you cant beat it. i have never felt a production, non custom shop enhanced gun with as nice a trigger. I didnt like however, the distracting marks on the rear sigh and mushy thumb safety. Other than that, the DE 1911 is well made and I would get one If my heart wasnt set on a Sig 1911 STX
I'm surprised that the thumb safety on the gun that you inspected was "mushy". The thumb safety on my DE1911 has a very positive and precise "click" into and out of engagement. By contrast, the thumb safety on my S&W1911 is very mushy, and has no click at the end of its travel.

The next time that I clean the gun, I will dab some paint onto the front and rear sights to help them stand out in dim light. Other than that, I have no complaints with the gun. I bought mine online, and I now see that the price has risen $55 over what I paid for it 3 months ago.

#9 ·
Just looked at Buds Guns and they are $36 (plus FFL and shipping) MORE than I paid for mine (plus tax). Amazing. Especially since I also saw two of them at Jensen Arms (Loveland CO and the internet) today for $654. I almost bought a second one.

I use the "Painters" Neon paint pens to highlight my sights. The Neon Green on the front sight and the yellow one in the first loop of the rear sight. REALLY nice, and only $10 at WallyWorld in the hobby/cloth section.

Mine also shoots VERY well. :rock:

P.S. I also got some "Slipstream" oil and put that on the frame/rails. REALLY impressive!

#10 ·
Pat, good to see you back! I'm trying to fight off the temptation to couple my 5" DE with the new compact model, but I don't know if I'll be successful. ;)

I took it to the range again last week, and the gun amazes me at how well it functions and shoots. It doesn't care what kind of ammo it has in it. I was shooting my own handloads with 185 grain Remington JHP's and 6.3 grains of 231, and it loved it. 100% reliability.

Thanks for the tip on the Slipstream lube a while back...I ordered some of that, and it's as good as you said. Real SLIMY. :biglaugh:

#11 ·
Upgraded my DE 1911 with stingray!

Guys,

I have previously posted elsewhere photos of my DE 1911 (which I just love) with rattlesnake grips, but I just got new stingray grips and thought you might like to see them. The cocobolo were nice too...

Ah well, can't have TOO many pretty grips!

#12 ·
I also picked up a DE1911G in november and it rocks. Im very impressed with this gun. I got mine for $620 out the door at an AAFES retailer.

fit and finish is terrific and it as a whole rivals guns priced well over a grand.

I hear a lot of the complaining about this being a CD gun and him getting screwed by BUL. I really dont care to hear it. Its a firearm. I bought it, I love it, I dont really care as a consumer what happened with the business end and although it may be unfortuante, it happens.

I'm sold on buying a 4" one as soon as I can get my hands on one here locally. Having the pair would be nice.

-Nate

#13 ·
...I hear a lot of the complaining about this being a CD gun and him getting screwed by BUL. I really dont care to hear it. Its a firearm. I bought it, I love it, I dont really care as a consumer what happened with the business end and although it may be unfortuante, it happens...

-Nate
Nate, I'm with you. I've never been employed by Charles Daly/Magnum Research/BUL, and I have no dog in that fight. Strangely, I grow even more bored with each subsequent retelling of the tale that I hear. Business deals go south every day of the week. It comes with the territory. If some want to get their panties in a knot over something that happened halfway around the world, and cop an attitude over it, so be it. They're the ones who are missing out on a great product.

As for me, I was looking for the best 1911 that I could find that fit my budget at that time, and I found it in the DE1911. Period.

#14 ·
Painted Sights

Larry,

I bought a can of Krylon flourescent orange spray paint. I sprayed a small amount on a sheet of aluminum foil, let it harden for about 3 minutes (to get a thicker consistency) then used a modelling brush to paint the front and rear sights on my DE 1911.

Here are the results:

This makes it MUCH easier to rapidly acquire the sight picture, both at the range and in dim light at home.

I did find that the paint lasts well at the range, but be a little careful when cleaning your gun--a scrub with solvent will remove some of it. Just avoid those points, or if you do lose some paint, that's the advantage of Krylon--just spray another dab on foil and touch it up with a broken toothpick! Quick and easy.

Good luck!

#16 ·
I've got to get out from under the rock more often. When I read the original post I thought he was talking about the 50AE/44MAG/357MAG version. I didn't realize that Magnum Research was making a 1911. Well, after looking at their web-site, probably "making" isn't the right term. At the bottom it says "Reseller". Are these being made in Israel?

#17 ·
Princi

yes, they are built in Israel by Bul Transmark LTD. Imported by Magnum Research Inc.

I have found that almost every person who owns one (me included) raves about them. Very accurate right out of the box and the trigger is exceptional. Can't beat the price either.

Get 'em now before the price goes up. A compact model is now out.

#18 · (Edited)
BUL has been building 1911's and 1911 components for many years. They know how to do it. Their parts end up in a lot of higher end guns. I've heard that they're popular in Europe, but I can't substantiate that.

One other thing that convinced me to buy the DE1911 vs. others, like the Remington R1, was the fact that the DE does NOT use the '80 series trigger safety mechanism. It has the older Series 70 style, which I prefer, and which I'm sure helps to contribute to the smooth and crisp out of the box trigger on this gun.

Navybat, thanks for the pic of your sights. Those turned out very nice. When I get through shooting my gun and settle down for a cleaning, I'll be doing the same thing.

#20 ·
Picked up a DE 1911c and took it to the range. Fired rounds of various types through without any issues. Very nice firearm for the price range, fit and finish is nice, trigger is very nice, rollmark - i can live with, feels / handles well and accurate... my new carry gun.

#21 ·
Just to let you know, the Magnum Research website is a little inaccurate on this gun. For example, they say it has 7 round magazines when in reality they are 8 round, made by ACT-MAG.

Also, the roll mark in the MRI photo looks like it's engraved a half inch deep! You see on my photo that the font is large, but it's a shallow engraving and in person it's actually not that noticeable with the black oxide finish.

Go to a gun shop and try the trigger and see the gun in person--it's very tight, got a good feel, and at the range I constantly get asked about it after the people in the next lane see my patterns.

Lastly, my gun's serial number is in the low 800s, and it does NOT have front cocking serrations. Somewhere in the 1100s Bul went to the front and rear. Some people don't like the FCS, some do. I believe you can still find some dealers with lower serial numbers if you don't want the FCS--just call around.

Oh, and Ausher? It's a 1911 G...see, it's hard to read the roll mark since it's not etched too deeply.

#22 ·
larryf1952 said:
Pat, good to see you back! I'm trying to fight off the temptation to couple my 5" DE with the new compact model, but I don't know if I'll be successful. ;)

I took it to the range again last week, and the gun amazes me at how well it functions and shoots. It doesn't care what kind of ammo it has in it. I was shooting my own handloads with 185 grain Remington JHP's and 6.3 grains of 231, and it loved it. 100% reliability.

Thanks for the tip on the Slipstream lube a while back...I ordered some of that, and it's as good as you said. Real SLIMY. :biglaugh:
:) Been around most of the time, just don't comment on many of the guns in this sub forum. :)

I have a Kimber in all steel in the 3" (Ultra series) and it is nice. I just like the feel of the full size frame in the 4" Kimbers.
Have one of them in a stainless frame and it is REALLY nice. :)

BE SURE you shake the Slipstream - very - well before using. In addition, personal preference, since it is rated as nano-particle lubricant, I make sure to minimize the amount I let get on my hands. In fact I use a "Q-Tip" and put a drop or two on one of them and then apply with that to the gun to keep it off my hands. WONDERFUL lubricant, and I'm probably just paranoid, but . . . . . . . . .

Had the DE out last week and, GEE, it doesn't change from session to session. :biglaugh: Just flat out SHOOTS! :rock:

Love it, love it, love it! :biglaugh:

#23 ·
Congratulations on an very good choice and deal. Desert Eagles makes great weapons and it will be everything you hoped for and more.

Almost bought the DE Commander from Bud's Gun Shop last week but debated with myself long enough for Bud's to go "out of stock" on them. The hang-up was I also wanted a lighter aluminum alloy frame for CC. In the end I found exactly what I was looking for and will post a review asap after it arrives at my FFL dealer.

#24 · (Edited)
This is my DE1911G and I did have problems with it at 1st but all is good! Magnum fixed the stove pipe problem and I have never looked back! Really good CS also! I paid $750 for mine back in February and as others have said the pistol is really well made and the finish is most excellent!

#25 ·
OK, it seems that everybody is happy with it. But what's the story on whether it's built with any MIM parts? And since all the pix I've seen show only the left side, I'd like to know if it has an internal or external extractor.

Is it actually made in Israel?

And does anyone have any scuttlebutt on whether stainless models will be forthcoming?

#27 ·
Thanks, Rick. I like the idea of the (original design) internal extractor, and I very much like the idea of it being made in Eretz Yisroel! And I'll keep looking to find out about the MIM question.

Cheers, Ringolevio

#28 ·
I know their are a lot of 1911 snobbs out there but for the money you spent on the Desert Eagle your getting more than your moneys worth.Witch to me is a bargain..Check one out one day ..Magnum Research thank you making a fantastic 1911 and for the price :rock:
I have to say that I am a sucker for well-checkered walnut grips, and when I got a pair of staghorn grips for the 1911G, my son came up to the table with his 1911 and informed me that he was the new owner of my old grips. Oh well, I have his old uncheckered grips now.

Here is my pair:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.