1911Forum banner

New to me S&W Mod 14

4K views 34 replies 19 participants last post by  best.45 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All -

I managed to win a Mod 14 via a Gun Broker auction, seems to be a fine revolver.

It is very accurate, i was trying to figure out how to figure out when it was made. I poked around on the web quite a bit and could not really find a way to determine the age based on the serial number, but it is a 14-6, so i was just trying to find the date range of when 14-6's were made.

Anyone here have any idea when 14-6's were made?

Here is a photo (it looks better in person, the photo is very harsh, there are almost no defects in the finish)

Thanks in advance for any info.

JAG

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Nice score!

The model 14 has long eluded me. They are about as scarce as hens teeth around where I live. I like the grips on yours as well.

#5 ·
The model 14 has long eluded me. They are about as scarce as hens teeth around where I live. I like the grips on yours as well.
The grips are made by a maker i have not heard of, but the name escapes me at the moment - i will have to take them off the gun and take a picture of the makers mark for you.

They are a little too big for me to love them, but I do like them.

Also yes Mod 14's are hard to find, that is how i ended up on gun broker looking for one.

JAG

#11 ·
Correct me if I am wrong.

But did the model 14 start out life as the K-38?

#16 ·
I wouldn't trade either of my K-38/M14's for any Colt Python!

As a matter of fact I sold a 98%, 64', 4" Python early last year!

Smiles,

Reactions: bmcgilvray
#24 ·
I wouldn't trade either of my K-38/M14's for any Colt Python!

As a matter of fact I sold a 98%, 64', 4" Python early last year!

Smiles,
Nothing wrong with a python, very smooth action, very accurate,

#17 · (Edited)
Love seeing the Smith & Wesson Model 14 thread that bullet45acp's started. Model 14s of any vintage are great and should still be a currently produced model that everyone should want. This current generation of handgunners would be better for it.

Hot off the bench, both mine and my gunsmith's, a 6-inch Model 14-2 from the early 1960s.

Saw the revolver lying on a table at the January 2017 San Angelo, Texas show as a frame with action and barrel, wearing Pachmayr's and with a $250 price tag dangling from the trigger guard. Saw it just before leaving Sunday morning after the all-night security gig. Thought to myself, what a shame.

Got home, thought about it again before taking my nap and called my gun show promoter friend and asked him to inquire of the exhibitor across the aisle from his tables if he'd take $125 for the barreled frame. The fellow agreed and I picked up the incomplete Model 14-2 at next month's gun show. So, I had myself a project.

So have been working on the project for over three years now. A suitable cylinder with ejector rod assembly and yoke from the correct time period was gathered off of Ebay for $49. Some vintage stocks with serial number near the revolver's were acquired off of GunBroker for $70. My gunsmith said he had the sights on hand. Things were looking up.

Turned out the barrel on the frame had been monkeyed with and would not work out. Either the barrel had been removed and refaced or else the barrel was a poorly fitting replacement. Replacement cylinder would not close for hitting barrel, yet barrel cylinder gap was way excessive. Probably why the barreled frame ended up at the gun show. So, I needed a barrel too. Gunsmith said that he happened to have not one, but six original Smith & Wesson Model 14 factory 6-inch barrels, appropriate for the Model 14-2's era, brand new, still in the wrappers, never installed. Can't beat that. New barrels won't match finish wear on the revolver, but the revolver's not bad so go for it.

The finished project looks pretty "together" and original, but has to be disclosed as a mongrel.

It took over three years to assemble needed components and put it together, but the results appear to want to shoot. Barrel/cylinder gap is perfect, timing and lockup tight, and the revolver already has a good smooth action. Can't wait to get it to the range with a box of hollow base wadcutter loads, but am bummed. I'm to have shoulder surgery in the morning to have a very painful full thickness tendon tear repaired. Can't even lift a piddly .25 vest pocket pistol to a shooting stance just now.

Intentions were for me to try my hand at fitting the cylinder and yoke to the barreled receiver on the cheap. I ruefully realize that I could have simply purchased a Model 14-2 off GunBroker for less than the project ended up costing, but this revolver gets to go back into service and I got to enjoy the project on the "Easy-Pay plan."

The 6-inch Model 14-2 shown with the 8 3/8-inch Model 14-4 I bought brand new 40 years ago this year. Like a little hand rifle that long-snouted one is.

#18 ·
ok now i am going to have to take my 14 back out to the range next time i go.
I am going to put some hogue's on mine - so it matches the rest of my S&W's.
I will post the info on the wood grips I have, someone asked me about them.

JAG

#23 ·
I have a pre m14, K38 target masterpiece 38 spec 6” barrel. I have it’s brother a pre m15 k38 combat masterpiece 38 spec, 4” barrel. Both have smooth actions built by the older s&w craftsman.

#27 ·
It's really a topic for another thread, but the Colt Python is overrated. I have a garden variety 1978 6-inch blued Python. It's not my favorite revolver, not even near the top of my favorite Colt revolvers. The Smith & Wesson N-Frame .357 Magnum revolvers are king of the .357 Magnums to me with the Smith & Wesson K-Frame Magnums running a close second. To bring this back around to the topic at hand, I'd give up the Python before I would a Smith & Wesson Model 14.

#29 ·
k-14 is .38 spl. some folks have good luck with colt some with smith. we are ALL revolver aficionados on this thread. i would not trade a shot out m-19 for a truck load of 'pissons'. the pistol earned that name, well and duly. model 14's pretty much last forever. a better comparison would be with the diamondback. just my .02.

#30 ·
I don't know what "pissons" are. I'm guessing you're referring to the Python. As for a "shot out m-19", S&W has a little package deal where you can send it in and their 'smiths will go over it with a fine-tooth comb, figuratively speaking, then let you know what work needs to be done. I think they'll also re-blue it if you want.

#33 ·
L-Frames are larger with frame large enough for the yoke to close without the relief cut required on the bottom of the K-Frame's barrel shank.

We just moved a few days ago and it'll be a while until I can unpack and set up the gun room so notes aren't to hand. Chronograph tests back as far as 1980 found velocities to something over 1600 fps with 110 grain bullets using max charge weights of Blue Dot as published in Sierra's 1978 edition manual. 1360 fps could be had from a 4-inch barrel using the max charge weight of 2400 underneath a 158 grain bullet as published in the Lyman 45th manual.

I soon went off light for caliber bullets or any handgun purpose and have stuck with heavy for caliber bullets within traditional weight ranges.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.