1911Forum banner

Preparedness Items

6K views 30 replies 20 participants last post by  1Blue 
#1 ·
What are some of the items in your go bag/BOB/SHTF shelter that are most useful or interesting?

I live by the principle that simple things are much more valuable than complex things (one of the reasons I love the 1911 design).

After having read a few of the other threads, I notice a lot of people rely on things like batteries and stored food.

I've been finding "wind-up" - or dynamo - lights and two-way radios. While they use batteries that have a finite lifespan, they're rechargeable by winding them up. A lot of them have solar panels for recharging when you have access to sunlight.

I've also abandoned the "carry as much food as possible" mentality. My go bag weighs about 100 lbs right now without food. I do however carry books (that weigh a lot less than food) that have pictures of edible and medicinal plants in my state/region, and instructions on preparing them. After all, carried food is temporary, while skills/knowledge can't be stolen or lost.

The very essence of preparedness is being ready for... you know not what. By definition, you don't know how long you'll be without the luxuries of civilization, making it difficult to plan sufficiently. Having alternate, long-term solutions to very basic problems is a must.

See less See more
#2 ·
what are some of the items in your go bag/bob/shtf shelter that are most useful or interesting?

I live by the principle that simple things are much more valuable than complex things (one of the reasons i love the 1911 design).

After having read a few of the other threads, i notice a lot of people rely on things like batteries and stored food.

I've been finding "wind-up" - or dynamo - lights and two-way radios. While they use batteries that have a finite lifespan, they're rechargeable by winding them up. A lot of them have solar panels for recharging when you have access to sunlight.

I've also abandoned the "carry as much food as possible" mentality. My go bag weighs about 100 lbs right now without food. I do however carry books (that weigh a lot less than food) that have pictures of edible and medicinal plants in my state/region, and instructions on preparing them. After all, carried food is temporary, while skills/knowledge can't be stolen or lost.

The very essence of preparedness is being ready for... You know not what. By definition, you don't know how long you'll be without the luxuries of civilization, making it difficult to plan sufficiently. Having alternate, long-term solutions to very basic problems is a must.
+1

#3 ·
100lbs isn't a "go" bag if you actually have to "go" anywhere. The rule of thumb for sustained movement is 55lbs or 1/3 of your body weight, whichever is less.

I like the idea of reference materials, but books are heavy. Try making copies of just the sections you need, at 1/4 size, to reduce weight. Go through all your gear, and determine what you NEED- and if a lighter version is an option.

#4 ·
100lbs isn't a "go" bag if you actually have to "go" anywhere. The rule of thumb for sustained movement is 55lbs or 1/3 of your body weight, whichever is less.

I like the idea of reference materials, but books are heavy. Try making copies of just the sections you need, at 1/4 size, to reduce weight. Go through all your gear, and determine what you NEED- and if a lighter version is an option.
That may be true for the average person, but someone who has been conditioned for it can cover an appreciable amount of ground with 100 lbs. easily. Even as out of shape as I am at 44 years old, I carried that same go bag four miles in two hours, with a ten minute break in the middle.

You'll never know what you can do unless you push yourself.

Still, as I mentioned, I'm always looking for ways to lighten that load. I like your idea of making the copies smaller print and saving weight that way. As far as what I absolutely need, I could scrap the whole bag and muddle through. It would be harder, but I could do it. I think of the contents of my go bag as being "essential luxuries". :D While I don't need any of it, it would sure make it easier to do the things I may have to do.

#10 ·
Around here we plan to shoot people riding through on motorcycles.

That way we can take all of their gear.

Just kidding guys. I could not help it. :D

#11 ·
A Spec Plus Spax, Lone Eagle in .223, D-Rings, bungee cords, 550 cord, 100 MPH tape, sharpening stones, monofiliment fishing line, rat traps with 12 GA holes in them, 12 GA ammo, nails, hammer, Everclear grain alcohol, bandana's, etc...

#12 ·
I seen multiple articles now advising to fortify in place. This saves you the problems of having to decide what to take, weight limited inventory, dangers on the road and the possibility of your bug out location being compromised by the time you get there anyway. Multiple experts now advise against bugging out.

#13 ·
The decision to stay or go really depends on several things:
The type/severity of event- Katrina killed a lot of people because they chose to stay.
The expected duration of the event- How long will it take for things to get back to normal
Location- Can you secure and sustain your location? Easier to do at a rural farm than an NYC apartment.
Lead time- Time is your friend. A hurricane gives plenty of warning, an earthquake does not.

Ultimately, there isn't a MK1 MOD 0, one size fits all solution. Thats where prior planning comes in.

#14 ·
At my age if it comes to hiking long distances we are staying where we are. I live in a mid size town 100 miles from a city. We figure we can sustain in place for a month, we have a river, food and ammo. Beyond that we'd need to head to the high country - which would probably not be very successful considering the occupants already there might not greet us with gifts. But our plan is to "pick up" a couple of M-1 Abrams to carry our stuff and sort of ease our way through any obstacles like preppers. :)

Probably not a very good plan I know, but that's all I got. That or a plane, but you can't carry much in a Piper.

#15 ·
I would suggest that one go, now, and apply the information gleaned from books and Youtube videos BEFORE those skills may be needed to survive.

It is good to know how to do things. It is better to have done them. You will find, only by trying, what will work and what will not. That will be a hard lesson if learned when one's life depends on the grade.

P.S. One would be well advised to learn to make and use primitive weapons, (they are actually hardly so) traps, snares & etc. before one is forced into it by circumstance.

#17 ·
I second this vehemently. I had this same thought a couple years ago and set about doing just that. It's harder to make a fire without tools than you might think. Especially if everything is wet! But trying it before you need to try it is a learning experience well worth having before you're dumped into a situation where you have to learn it on the fly.

#20 ·
Your opinion being what it is (an opinion), this isn't the thread for that discussion.

#21 ·
Having lived in the Alleghenies since before the Mel Tappen years 'til present day, I agree with 1911pete that staying put is preferable to moving. Unless dire circumstances required it, we wouldn't think of leaving our place in the mountains. Dealing with hurricane Juan in '85 was an education but basically we got along just fine. Stocking up is just part of rural living as is being reletively self reliant. Having good neighbors also helps. Getting home, if out and about on a trip, is a concern, but not something we dwell on.

We are fortunate.

#22 ·
We're in the country and don't foresee a bugout situation. The main problem we would face is people piling out of the cities to try to survive in the country. I dont know how to exactly deal with that. Even with a fortress the siege eventually wins. We have plenty of deer and turkey for us but not for the nearby city. We really don't have anyplace to bugout to.

#23 ·
I have a plan if we have to leave but I'd stay in my house as long as possible. I live just outside the city and have a lake and river close by, wildlife is plentiful and my biggest fear would be the "city folk" heading my way.

#25 ·
As a former Backpacker, I would suggest to anyone interested in putting together a Bug Out Bag to Google "The Ten Essentials". These items will get you started and you can add on with creature comforts to fit your needs. This will also start you in the right direction to stimulate your thought process on what you really need. I can pack a week's worth of stuff and keep it to around 50 pounds. This wouldn't include a firearm with ammo though.

#26 ·
All of these posts are very interesting.

The people walking around out in the woods will make good targets. All of them with heavy packs will likely have something that I may want.

As for the pilgrims that state that they will be relying on nearby rivers, streams and such to provide them with safe water. Let it suffice to say that they will not be around for very long.

#28 ·
The people walking around out in the woods will make good targets. All of them with heavy packs will likely have something that I may want.

As for the pilgrims that state that they will be relying on nearby rivers, streams and such to provide them with safe water. Let it suffice to say that they will not be around for very long.
Dysentary and Cholera are nasty.

#27 ·
My bug out bag has a couple of space blankets, poncho, a water purifier/filter/pump, knife, half hachet/half knife, para cord, water proof matches and flint steel fire starter. There is also some fish line and tackle. I could live for weeks off that alone. I'ld make a bow and some arrows, fish and set snares.

First is shelter, second is drinkable water, third is food. What else do you need?

#29 ·
In my opinion, water is first, then shelter then food.

Above all is a weapon that allows you to keep what you need.

#31 ·
Here in Colorado, we would have to add to the SHTF list, A bong, some excellent bud, a copy of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, lots of pizza. Pizza is good cold. So you are set the next day for breakfast. Maybe a good Merlot or a craft beer...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.