Why a 1911? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-09-2020, 11:57 PM

Why a 1911?

Hey guys, I posted here a while ago. Not sure whether or not to buy a 1911; and if I did not sure what to buy. I'm still in the same position, so I thought that I would give it another shot.

A part of me wants to buy a 1911. I want it for no other reason than to have it. This doesn't sit well with me because I don't buy firearms for out of desire but because they are tools to fill a need.

My question I suppose boils down to this:
Can we find a reason, or a need for me to own a 1911?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-2020, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight567 View Post
I want it for no other reason than to have it. This doesn't sit well with me because I don't buy firearms for out of desire but because they are tools to fill a need.
You could always just stop resisting yourself.

If you can't see a 1911 filling any sort of practical need that you may have, well, guns can be just for fun, too. Surely you've bought something else just because you wanted it, right? Why not a gun? They don't all have to be "tools." I certainly don't see or treat the vast majority of mine that way.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:13 AM

What he said, in Spades ^^^^

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2020, 06:15 AM

Borrow or rent one, shoot it for yourself, it'll become clear!
Old 05-10-2020, 06:52 AM

+1 on the rent one first - the same advice I offer before any new handgun purchase. After firing a box of 50 at your LGS range, I predict you WILL know if you really want to spend your hard earned money on one.

The worst $$ you can spend is done by buying something you discover you don't like. Once it's out the store doors it's a used gun with dramatic loss of value.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-10-2020, 07:52 AM

You will probably find, like many of us did, that a 1911 fits our hands like no other gun and I shoot them better than any other gun. I chose one initially because I wanted to shoot Bullseye and that was .22 and .45.

I bought a Norinco 1911 for $199 and the rangemaster did a lot of work to it. It wasn't ideal but it taught me a lot about trigger control and that still helps me today.

I have since added other 1911's and traded the Norinco but you need to try one.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:20 AM

Quote:

No.

I think folks either "get" the 1911 or they don't.

I used to try and convince folks the 1911 is right for them, because it's right for me, and I'd try to point out the virtues of the 1911.

However, after a decade plus of internet forums and the "why is the 1911 so heavy, why is the capacity so low, isn't this $400 brand X just as good as the brand Y that costs $3,000, couldn't I just swap out the parts myself and have the same $3,000 gun for less, why does it have a manual safety, this cocked hammer is so scary looking, couldn't I just cock the hammer on the draw, why is the finish so easily scratched, why won't the Novak low profile rear sight fit in the LPA adjustable sight dovetail on my Springfield Range Officer, why can't I just swap out this .45 Auto barrel for a 9mm barrel without a gunsmith, I just bought a dozen Pro-Mag 15 rounders because 7 rounds just isn't enough, etc."

Not liking the 1911 doesn't make you a bad person, or less of a man. It just may not be for you. The 1911 has some great features and those features are valuable to me, and because I value them, I overlook some of the shortcomings of the gun as those shortcomings are less important to me. Other folks value other things and therefore other guns are a better choice for them.

There are lots of great options in firearms and not all guns are for all people. Whatever you like is great. Just pick something and get out there and shoot and have some fun.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:

List out the needs or reasons you own any handguns and we'll help you fit a 1911 into one of them.

The fact that you posted that question on this forum was for a push, right?

jtq's post above is pretty spot on though!
Old 05-10-2020, 08:34 AM

jtq, If I may say, excellent advice and logic. +1911
Old 05-10-2020, 08:52 AM

It is a special pistol that works really well for some people. I generally avoid useless obsolete pistols, which is why I missed out on the CZ 1911. (base-ish GI type) But some modern 1911's can be quite special. I'd avoid anything cheaper than a DW. Get one done right, not just some cheapo knockoff. DW, Guncrafter are my favorites.

There's also some people, that only own military pistols and rifles. Which makes for a neat collection.

+excellent trigger
+points well
+heavy
+extremely safe to carry cocked and locked
+skinny pistol and mags tuck in quite nicely for ccw
+45 accuracy
+can just ooze high quality fit and function
+built correctly, and without any freakish flaws in production, they can be Glock reliable and feed nearly any proper ammo. **if the mags do their part**

-rust bucket, poor choice for salty people. Some companies even use uncoated, untreated carbon steel barrels and parts
-some parts were originally designed to be tough tool steel. some companies have decided to use metals softer than cheese for those parts
-heavy
-9mm versions, aren't as reliable as 45 IME.
-often needs the thumb safety and grip safety fit to your hand for optimal performance. Usually set too safe on the GS.
-not everyone can consistently draw one as fast as a simple Glock
-fullsize and .45 run best
-sights are often set incorrectly, and/or a pita to swap out or fix. Sometimes wrong barrel link.
-USPSA single stack guys, and IDPA CDP guys can be dooshy. Afraid of Limited 10 and ESP, eh?
-skinny crappy magazines, slower reloads, (relatively) poor magazine reliability
-every blowhard with a mill thinks they can make a good one. Most aren't.
-ergonomics of the backstrap haven't evolved properly over the years. Kinda reminds me of this ancient junk:

A good proper example of a 1911 worth owning. Some are so good, that they still stack up very well against modern pistols (Guncrafter No Name):

Also consider 2011's and the upcoming DWX'S.

Last edited by Zerodefect; 05-10-2020 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:58 AM

I could probably be convinced to buy a gun because I want it at some point. I do understand that this is part hobby and I should lighten up on the reigns a bit.
There is a second factor to my problem though; I'm a broke college student. If I don't have a real reason to spend $500-900 I probably shouldn't. I even bought a $70 used hi point. I justified it be saying that if I ever was made to use it I wouldn't be hurt if I had to give it to the evidence locker.

1911s do fit my hands rather well. There's no doubt about that. I've actually never fired one, I may when ranges where I can rent from open back up.

The main reason for owning a pistol is for carry. The only pistol that I own that I don't carry is the aformentioned hi point.

Edit: the biggest knock on the 1911 for me is the grip safety. I don't like them. I don't strictly mind the idea of a manual safety. If one is willing to spend the time to ingrain the proper use of an AR safety using a thumb safety shouldn't be problematic!

Last edited by Flight567; 05-10-2020 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:35 AM

Not just a 1911 but a Colt.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
There is a second factor to my problem though; I'm a broke college student.
I'd not buy any gun until I wasn't broke.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:36 AM

Especially a 1911. Save up and get nice one, as a reward for being able to save up and get a nice one. Lolz.

Get a Glock 23/22/35 for now.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
I could probably be convinced to buy a gun because I want it at some point. I do understand that this is part hobby and I should lighten up on the reigns a bit.
There is a second factor to my problem though; I'm a broke college student. If I don't have a real reason to spend $500-900 I probably shouldn't. I even bought a $70 used hi point. I justified it be saying that if I ever was made to use it I wouldn't be hurt if I had to give it to the evidence locker.

1911s do fit my hands rather well. There's no doubt about that. I've actually never fired one, I may when ranges where I can rent from open back up.

The main reason for owning a pistol is for carry. The only pistol that I own that I don't carry is the aformentioned hi point.

Edit: the biggest knock on the 1911 for me is the grip safety. I don't like them. I don't strictly mind the idea of a manual safety. If one is willing to spend the time to ingrain the proper use of an AR safety using a thumb safety shouldn't be problematic!

I agree with renting one first and not just the 1911 but other types of handguns also. You might find the 1911 is the gun for you or maybe something else is.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtq View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight567
There is a second factor to my problem though; I'm a broke college student.
I'd not buy any gun until I wasn't broke.
Yeah, gotta agree with jtg. Graduate from college, get a job, get on your feet...THEN buy yourself a 1911. You'll want your first one in God's own caliber (.45 ACP), and ammo isn't exactly cheap right now...so even more reason to wait.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieC View Post
Borrow or rent one, shoot it for yourself, it'll become clear!
This is the best advice you could give anyone considering any gun. Great example is I have been a 1911 fan for over 40 years, and of course I taught my sons how to shoot and respect 1911s. When it was time for my sons to carry their own guns, neither of them really preferred the 1911format. My older son loves striker fired guns and carries a Shield Performance Center 9 to this day. I sure hope my 13 year old Grandson loves 1911s, because that's most likely where mine will wind up.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:51 AM

I would definitely save to get a nice one, but one way or the other I would probably be settling. The nice 1911 that I'm looking for is a long way away.

If I had my choice it would be an operator from pilot mountain arms.

Outside of personal preference is there any real advantage to something like a dan Wesson over a standard like an ria?

Old 05-10-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:

The first part suggests that you have one or more other guns that you can and do carry so this [potential] purchase is a want not a need.

Second- the grip safety is a non factor. With a few light file strokes you can tune it to your liking. As mentioned above, many or most are set for way too much movement and can be a hindrance. That's an easy and cheap fix.

I would not buy a 1911 for a carry gun unless you also have the money to take some good classes and get lots of time and reps in with it, before carrying. That will get you accustomed to the gun and will also get you reps needed to be comfortable with the grip and thumb safeties. (and will tell you if the grip safety needs to be adjusted) In the beginning, safeties can be a funny thing under stress, even if only timer induced stress... Even if the safeties are a non-issue, some formal training is (IMO) loads of fun and always beneficial.

Start saving now and when the time is right you'll have money set aside for a nice gun, holster, ammo and training!

You posted while I was typing...

RIA's can be good shooters but they are a budget gun and some are nightmares too. Many of the budget guns are out of spec so customization can be challenging. Brands like DW have a reputation for quality, reliability and service if there is ever an issue. Generally speaking, better materials, in spec, better fittment, etc.

There are lots of past threads "best 1911 for" $750 $1000 $1500 you can find them with the advanced search

I wouldn't buy a cheap 1911 for a carry gun, ESPECIALLY if it's going to be an officer's or commander sized gun... maybe for a tinker/hobbysmith learner gun but that's even a stretch for me.

You're young- take your time!
Old 05-10-2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Well, you did join a 1911 forum. And all real men own at least one.

Jim
Old 05-10-2020, 11:31 AM

Buy a 1911 because you like it. No other reason needed.

I do recommend that you buy a custom gun from Ed Brown, Nighthawk, Wilson Combat, Guncrafter, etc. to maximize reliability. If you think you cannot "afford" it, go check out Dave Ramsey on youtube and follow his plan. You'll have the money in a year and be debt free (of the gun, not your other debts).

I have tried many 1911's and even my Valor has turned out to be a dud that needs a trained gunsmith to fix.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:

If you have to ask that question you don't have a reason or need to own one. Stick w/ Tupperware.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because size matters.--Me
The 9mm Punibellum is a SD cartridge fit only for women and Europeans--Me
Old 05-10-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtq View Post
I think folks either "get" the 1911 or they don't.

When I moved over from 12 years or shooting and carrying a S&W 1006, I "got" the [email protected]$$ hole it put in whatever I was shooting - LIKE my 1006 did.

That was the MAIN selling point to me.
Old 05-10-2020, 12:15 PM

Hold a Government Model Colt in your hand. Answer your own question.
Old 05-10-2020, 12:54 PM

If nothing else, the trigger!