Aegis Elite Production Time - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-25-2020, 04:09 PM

Aegis Elite Production Time

On MLK Day, I ordered a new Aegis Elite Pronfrm my lgs. Amongst other things, they’re a “Kimber Master Dealer”. I was told it would be a few weeks as there weren’t any to be had. I’m fine with a wait. 5 weeks later and there is no sign of my pistol. My lgs is unsure when it will be in. (It’s a great store and they’ve been good to me over the years, so I have no qualms with them).

I contacted Kimber and was told that my gun is “in production”, but with no ETA given. My question is how long should I give Kimber before I cancel my order? Certainly if this kind of delay is the norm, I’ll wait. If it’s not and Kimber is having production problems, I will cancel. I would likely apply the Kimber money towards a Dan Wesson V-Bob two tone and make the purchase that day.
Old 02-25-2020, 04:45 PM

You ordered it because you liked it and wanted it. I'll opine that the wait will most likely be worth it. Considering the myrid of 1911's and now other models Kimber produces, they are no doubt busy with post SHOT Show orders, so production is no doubt affected.

I have an Aegis Elite Custom (OI) 9mm, along with 8 other Kimber 1911's. The Aegis Elite is my favorite range gun. Great trigger, the optic is supurb, and it's accurate as h3ll.

If it were me, I'd kick back and just wait. You'll probably be glad you did.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:31 PM

Just curious, if you were to cancel your order, what would your plan be? Would you be ordering something else that you could like equally well? This is the very reason that I would be a poor candidate to special order a 1911, as I'm just not the patient type.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2020, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wproct View Post
This is the very reason that I would be a poor candidate to special order a 1911, as I'm just not the patient type.
Yup, patience is a bitch when you've got something special "on order".....we've all been there.

But know that the Aegis Elite Pro is not a special order item, it's a catalog item for Kimber, so the wait should not be too long.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:51 PM

The more you think about it the longer the wait will seem. I waited 2 years for a custom Colt to be built. I couldn't take it and bought a Kimber to hold me over. Ended up liking the Kimber better. Personally, if I want something I don't mind waiting as long as I have something else to keep me occupied. I think if you cancel your order you'll still want one.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:01 AM

Kimber production seems to run in cycles. They run a batch of a certain model and then run a batch of another model, etc. At least that's what I was told by customer service a few years ago.
In fact, I desired a Kimber Montana rifle in 7-08. Couldn't find one locally so I ordered one. After waiting a few weeks I called the factory in February and was told that the 7-08s were scheduled to be made in August. Worth the wait if you have the patience.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick in Oregon View Post
Yup, patience is a bitch when you've got something special "on order".....we've all been there.

But know that the Aegis Elite Pro is not a special order item, it's a catalog item for Kimber, so the wait should not be too long.
Sorry, I misspoke on the "special order" part.
Old 02-27-2020, 07:42 AM

Have you looked at Gun Broker?? There’s a boat load of them for sale...
Old 02-28-2020, 07:38 AM

Thanks for all the sage advice. My lgs will talk to his rep and try to get an exact date. All he’s been told was that it’s “this week or next”, but that’s been the same thing for a couple of weeks. I told the lgs that if the rep can’t get a specific date that I will cancel the order and buy the Dan Wesson V-Bob. I have had the money set aside. However, if the rep gives me a date certain in the next week to ten days, I’ll wait.
Everything I have read has been nothing but positive on the Aegis - especially here. I’m not getting the optic version as I want this for carry - I like the bobbed grip. If the Aegis shoots anything like my previous Kimber, it will be a great shooter. I trade a lot, but the gunsthat I buy at my lgs I really wanted and tend to keep. I don’t know if the Aegis will be in that category. I recognize the fact that I am being a whiney little girl about this.
Old 02-29-2020, 06:39 AM

I know a master dealer, he told me that he never knows what's coming in. Kimber is very independent. They wouldn't accept an order for less than 10 grand at one time, it may be more than that now. He also told me that he sells everything they send him .
Old 03-01-2020, 12:37 AM

I bought a slide for one from member here and shot it today. Its worth the wait.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:24 AM

I ordered on 4 weeks ago and was told that the wait was 6-8 weeks. As I do have a few more guns at home not a big deal except it would be nice to have instantly.

As an aside something I asked but was never answered before. Originally the Kimber Aegis was built to be a 9mm 1911 not a chopped .45 1911 does anyone know if this is still true or did they just retain the name?
Old 03-06-2020, 04:05 PM

Update I heard back from my lgs. He spoke with his Kimber rep (I guess that’s what it’s called. My lgs told me that he was informed that he couldn’t get an eta, and it could be next week or six weeks. My dealer asked what I wanted to do. I cancelled my order and ordered the V-Bob. I thanked him and said I would be in on my way home and pay the difference.
I like Kimbers. With where we are in metallurgy today, mim parts do not worry me. Swartz safeties? Other than it sounds like it came from a Mel Brooks movie and makes me chuckle, the Swartz safety doesn’t bother me a bit. By the time I fired it enough to edc, I’m used to it. So this isn’t a Kimber rant.
The whole process was one great communications error. When I bought it, it was MLK day and Shot Show. So an accurate eta wasn’t available. I only recall 30 days as an outside number. I likely wouldn’t have ordered it had I known it would have been longer than that. As time dragged on, the more frustrated I got and fascinated with the DW I became. I liked the aegis elite enough to buy it, but I was starting to resent it. Had the lgs said this Wednesday, I likely would’ve listed it on Armslist or GB that night. That wouldn’t have been right. I may get another one later, but likely in the Custom size.
Again, thanks for all the replies. This is a great forum with a distinct lack of rebukes from posters with over 50k posts in 3 years that I’ve seen on the web.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:25 AM

Glad you got this resolved... But, for the life of me, assuming you wanted an Aegis, I don’t understand why you didn’t purchase one off of Gunbroker! I counted 35 of them for sale this AM...
Old 03-07-2020, 11:09 AM

You are quite right Stealth01, there are plenty on GB. My lgs has been very good to me over the years and, whenever possible, I prefer to buy through them. I know I can save some money going on GB or buying from online retailers like Buds, but my lgs will refer me business as well. That’s the main reason why I didn’t ask for a refund and go online. My relationship with my lgs meant more than the Aegis. LGS did discount the DW.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:00 AM

Eight weeks and still waiting for my Aegis 9mm. I know I could cancel the order and pick another gun but the Aegis is the one I had decided on and do not want another.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:22 AM

OK, so now I get an email from Kimber saying that production will stop at their plant. Yes, I know I am greedy but I hope they have made my gun and it is on the way to the distributor now. Waiting has never been my strong suit.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:28 AM

I have let pistols set in my safe for well over a year without shooting them. So we're talking about what, a six month wait. If it was my order I'd pay for it and forget it just like if it were in my safe.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glider View Post
I have let pistols set in my safe for well over a year without shooting them. So we're talking about what, a six month wait. If it was my order I'd pay for it and forget it just like if it were in my safe.
Exactly. You've waited this long, kick back and enjoy the ride. It'll be worth the wait in the end.
Old 04-12-2020, 04:50 PM

Well it looks like 10 weeks, the Kimber plant is closed and my Aegis is not here. I guess I will be waiting a very L O N G time. However as the owner of my LGS said kinda sarcastically, "It's not like even close to the only gun you have or need." It is only my frustration updating. Even if I wanted to try a Dan Wesson they are closed also.