Staccato P Duo nose diving Hollow points - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-30-2020, 11:08 AM

Staccato P Duo nose diving Hollow points

Picked up a 2020 Staccato P duo on Saturday. Put about 250 rounds of 124 and 115 gr FMJ's without issue. I then put about 125 rounds of 124 gr HST's through, which was working fine up until the last few mags. Now with the HST's, whenever I attempt to chamber the first round in any of my mags, the round nosedives onto the middle of the barrel feed ramp. It happens less often with some Winchester 147gr JHP's that I have, but it still happens with them over 50% of the time. Happens both when reloading from slide lock, or when racking the slide. Once the first round chambers, the rest of the mag seems to fire fine. FMJ's still chamber fine. Any ideas on where to start?
Old 03-31-2020, 01:22 PM

It sounds to me that the sharp edge of the round is catching on the relatively steep angle of the Staccato P Duo's feed ramp. Does the ramp seem to be good shape?

I've shot nothing but AE9AP and AE9DP out of my Staccato P Duo and I've had no FTF issues. I'm going shooting soon, if I don't ill lose my mind staying inside with this Covid ****, I'll take some hollow points out and see if I have any issues.
Old 03-31-2020, 02:28 PM

Yeah, Mine ran fine with all the FMJ's I ran through it. It was just the hollow points. I ordered some better mag springs due to a suggestion by a member on another forum, so I'll start there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2020, 04:54 PM

That will fix it or I'll buy you a beer!!
Old 03-31-2020, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwikrex View Post
Yeah, Mine ran fine with all the FMJ's I ran through it. It was just the hollow points. I ordered some better mag springs due to a suggestion by a member on another forum, so I'll start there.
I saw a similar post somewhere yesterday, I think someone suggested magazine springs and follower kit from Atlas Gunworks, but I can't seem to find it now. The kit was cheap. like $12 or so.

Who did you order from?
Old 03-31-2020, 06:04 PM

Or maybe it was Dawson Precision, it was an extra power magazine spring and follower kit for STI gen 2 magazines. The price was reasonable. I can't seem to find it now.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:12 PM

Here they are separately,

https://atlasgunworks.com/product/at...gazine-spring/

https://atlasgunworks.com/product/st...back-follower/

Here is a kit, but sold out.

https://atlasgunworks.com/product/at...-magazine-kit/
Old 03-31-2020, 08:10 PM

Listen to me...I have 4 of those pistols and only shoot flat nosed JHP ammo. Just buy the 11 coil ISMI spring or a Wolff 13 coil and cut a couple off. and you're home free. My experience is the tubes and followers are perfect. The whole mag is fine if you are running FMJ or something like Hornady Critical Duty.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:11 PM

This is like playing cards with my brothers kids........LOL
Old 04-01-2020, 04:35 AM

Staccto P and first round nose dives with JHP bullets

The first and easiest thing to check is how the mag seats in the frame. If you insert an empty mag in the gun, and the mag drops about .015" - .020" after it seats, you may need to get a mag catch that will raise the mag to seat higher in the frame.

If this does occur in your gun, I would lock the slide back with your empty gun, the place the fully loaded mag into the gun (with dummy rounds if possible), then force the bottom of the mag higher in the gun by resting it on a desk or solid surface, make sure the gun is pointed in a safe direction.....then release the slide. If the first round feeds properly, you may need a higher mag catch. Evolution Gun Works sells mag catches with a thicker ledge that will raise the mag up to .020"....

However, you could explain the problem to STI and let them fix it!
Old 04-01-2020, 03:14 PM

It certainly doesn't take much to make a difference in feeding or failing. My original T&E shipped with Taran Tactical basepads. They fit the bottom of the tube loose enough for the badepad to pivot down/away from the tube very slightly. If you left that gap there with a full mag of flat nosed ammo, it would choke every time. If you closed that gap with your hand, it would feed the same ammo, all the time. Better springs fixed the issue, even with these base pads.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:27 AM

Not the same gun by any means but at an open house Rob Leatham told me that JHPs were slightly more accurate than FMJ and since I reloaded and basically not much of a price difference I ordered JHPs which gave me trouble in my USPSA gun a Kimber Raptor. I changed out the mag springs in my Wilsons and 98% of the problems disappeared with the stronger Wolfe's.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCfromNY View Post
Not the same gun by any means but at an open house Rob Leatham told me that JHPs were slightly more accurate than FMJ and since I reloaded and basically not much of a price difference I ordered JHPs which gave me trouble in my USPSA gun a Kimber Raptor. I changed out the mag springs in my Wilsons and 98% of the problems disappeared with the stronger Wolfe's.
I had the exact same issue with two Infinity single stack pistols. Had to run extra power springs which cost me a round of capacity. Thats a deal breaker in an already low cap pistol.