Ideas to save $$$ on tools - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-06-2019, 03:18 PM

Ideas to save $$$ on tools

Iím on ssi and a fixed income. With that said I have to constantly look for ideas to save money. Recently I wanted to upgrade my spring loaded trigger pull scale, but the $50 price tag was more than I could handle.
I came up with an idea. See I had purchased a handheld digital luggage scale some time ago for use to get shipping weights when I sell things on eBay.
It struck me that why not use it to use as a digital trigger pull scale. So I used the original rod from my spring loaded scale, and attached it to my digital scale. So for less than $10 I now have a digital scale.
For all those people like me out there, maybe other people have done things like I have, and you might share those ideas to help people like me.
Other things Iíve done
Built a automatic annealer total cost $125
Found the plans on the net for my hornady lnl for a automatic case feeder. Total cost $35
Stainless steel beads separator from brass after tumbling brass $6
Resizing lube best Iíve ever used $10 good for about 3000 rounds
Cleaning solution for tumbling brass $12 good for thousands of rounds
Brass tumbler holds up to 1000 rounds of 6br free. Up graded to dc drive $60
Tumbling drums holds up to 25lbs or smaller ones for as little as $10
PM me for details on any of these savings
Old 04-06-2019, 04:42 PM

I built an oven to bake parts I cerakote in for $100.
Iím interested in seeing the plans of this homemade case feeder tho
Old 04-06-2019, 05:22 PM

I haven't fabricated or augmented any in-home items, except for toothpaste as gun polish but I did get the Real Avid Gun Tool Pro-X Multi-Tool from Midway so I wouldn't have to buy a bunch of tools

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2019, 05:41 PM

Yes absolutely learn to do something with nothing ,that's how a lot of boomers whos families went through the depression where raised . It is also how some of our best inventions came about .Keep up the good work .
Old 04-06-2019, 05:53 PM

I love tackling problems, and finding solutions to them. Thank you for the words of encouragement. Iím just one of those people who likes to help others, and saving money isnít so bad either lol.
Old 04-06-2019, 11:19 PM

Revolver shooters that shoot lead, know that sometimes you get stubborn crud built up on the frame around the barrel.

I took some brass rod I had laying around, cut it, heated it with a bernzomatic, and shaped the tips into useful tools to help clean the gun. Some are long flat tipped, some are short tipped like a flat headed screwdriver, at at least one was turned to a fine point. They are cheap yet very useful tools.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944
Old 04-09-2019, 08:36 PM

I'm still waiting for the link to the DIY automatic case feeder for the Hornady LnL.🤢
Old 04-09-2019, 09:00 PM

Lnl case feeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangerDanger View Post
I built an oven to bake parts I cerakote in for $100.
Iím interested in seeing the plans of this homemade case feeder tho
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2488944/files
All the parts and a description there are places for those who donít have a 3D printer that will print these, or if your lucky like me contact the person who made this one up. He made me one
Old 04-09-2019, 09:01 PM

For those wanting info in the hornady lnl feeder here you go
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2488944/files
Old 04-10-2019, 10:21 AM

It's not a tool necessarily, but tackle boxes have served me well in organizing my gun parts. And affordable as well.

Old 04-10-2019, 11:26 AM

Tackle boxes for holding your parts. I must disagree with you. Tackle boxes are an excellent idea, and yes they are tools. Repurposing an old tackle box is a great idea. As for myself Iíve been using small parts bin ďhttps://www.lowes.com/pd/craftsman-b...hoCd4sQAvD_BwE
For parts,and small tools.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamaszr12 View Post
.... I had purchased a handheld digital luggage scale some time ago for use to get shipping weights when I sell things on eBay. ...

I use a fish scale and a jig I made out of scrap metal to weigh recoil springs.

I use a discarded piece of granite counter, already with a glass smooth polish, with wet sandpaper for lapping things perfectly flat. One can use a heavy piece of glass as well, like are used for coffee table tops, etc.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:40 PM

Clear Plano Pro Latch boxes in various sizes. Some versions are sold for organizing fishing tackle. Other for general organizational use. I have about 50 or so from the smallest to largest with various items in them along with small desiccant packs to prevent rust - magazines by brand/model, gun parts by brand/model/type, reamers, specialty gun tools …
Old 04-10-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBBill View Post
Clear Plano Pro Latch boxes in various sizes. Some versions are sold for organizing fishing tackle. Other for general organizational use. I have about 50 or so from the smallest to largest with various items in them along with small desiccant packs to prevent rust - magazines by brand/model, gun parts by brand/model/type, reamers, specialty gun tools …
I use those (actually "Flambeau" brand and the Wallmart copy, made in the same factory) for small parts storage as well. The walmart brand can be found in the fishing section, "Ozark" I think, right next to the Panos and Flambeau,. for a few bucks less.

In my case, I made a rack out of scrap wood that lets me use them like drawers stacked 8-10 hi. Recoil springs, grips etc. all in their own nice clear see through cases. I also use one of the larger ones for a gun build. Keep all the intended parts together in one box as I work on it.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamaszr12 View Post
Tackle boxes for holding your parts. I must disagree with you. Tackle boxes are an excellent idea, and yes they are tools. Repurposing an old tackle box is a great idea. As for myself Iíve been using small parts bin ďhttps://www.lowes.com/pd/craftsman-b...hoCd4sQAvD_BwE

For parts,and small tools.
This is a good idea. I have one of these laying around that I used to put my parts in. I personally didn't care for a vertical set up. But it is perfect for maximizing space on a work bench.

Old 04-10-2019, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmD0G View Post
It's not a tool necessarily, but tackle boxes have served me well in organizing my gun parts. And affordable as well.

Agreed. I have an old beat to hell tackle box that has served me well for years, as a gun parts holder.

I have a dedicated bench for gun cleaning/working, but don't leave my tools out. I have a couple of these boxes for tools, rifle cleaning stuff, and pistol cleaning stuff.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...prod26502.aspx

They are excellent US made boxes, and cheap to boot.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944
Old 04-11-2019, 12:49 AM

I like your style, I just remembered I have a box almost exactly like the one you show that has been sitting in my closet. Now I can give it new life to repurpose it for tools I use when I work in the apartment. See I use our storage area that is about five foot wide, and ten foot long as my work room/loading area. Iíve added shelves, drilled holes in the studs to hold small parts, and fabricated 2x2ís to hold reloading dies. With such a small area I had to use every inch so I can work efficiently. Not perfect, but being on ssi I have to make the with what I have available.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:19 AM

Hockey pucks as bench blocks. They're a buck or two and you can drill holes and file grooves into them all day long.

I make my own file handles from hardwood on a lathe. All the handles you can buy seem to be bigger than I want, anyway.

I also save broken drill bits and punches. The drill bits can often be used as pins, and I recut the punches into starter punches.

I struggled to find a good way to organize my hundreds of hex wrenches and finally settled on putting them in a plastic compartmented organizer. I sort them roughly by size and have 6 or 8 compartments' worth.

A friend showed me the trick of using super glue on the outside of rubber recoil pads and such. It makes a glaze over the rubber and removes the tackiness of it.

I used a folding picnic-style table for years as my bench for fine work (i.e., not beating or heating or welding parts). It worked well enough but I got to needing more stability and storage space, so I went to a store that sold used office furniture and bought a couple of steel desk cabinets used in office cubicles. I put my folded table on top of them and now I have a more solid bench with 6 drawers, and a lot fewer spaces under the table where parts can fall and hide.

Last edited by ken_mays; 04-11-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-11-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmD0G View Post
I haven't fabricated or augmented any in-home items, except for toothpaste as gun polish but I did get the Real Avid Gun Tool Pro-X Multi-Tool from Midway so I wouldn't have to buy a bunch of tools

I use an old Orabl-B cordless oscillating toothbrush to clean lots of things, the bristles will flex/bend in/under things to pull out dirt. It's a great all around cleaning tool. Car emblems (all that extra wax and dirt), around the base of faucets, and even inside mag wells. The choice of cleaners is almost endless. Use rubbing alcohol for places where you dont want residue left behind, Flitz for helping to polish small areas, toothpaste for other things, Dawn for other stuff, etc etc.

Always good to have one of these around the guns to help clean as needed.

I do usually make tools when I can. I have enough of other tools to make new tools, etc. Recently made a power steering pump pulley holder using a 6"dia 3/16"thick steel disc, and a cheap steel pry bar from HF tools store. Using a hole saw I drill the center of disc to allow socket to pass through, I then bent the pry bar to a usable angle that I needed (these bar are pretty tough btw, I had to cherry red a section and then hot it hard with a lump hammer to get it to bend), and then I welded the bar to the flat side of the disc towards the edge. I then drilled two holes in the disc at the correct location to accept some 1/2" steel pins and the welded them to the disc. The pins wedge up inside the pulley webbing, with one hand I hold the bar and other hand I wrench off the pulley nut. Prior to this it was very difficult to try and wedge something in the pulley webbing and then take nut off or on with torque wrench, the wedge would always just fall away to the floor, was such a pita. I think Toyota sells their "job tool" for something like $225, and I think I spent maybe $10 total and about an hr of my time.

Like this, and the handle makes a slight S bend (towards your eye) kinda right in the middle, needed some bend for proper clearance in the crowded workspace, but you get the idea.

Last edited by 1911_Kid; 04-11-2019 at 01:39 PM.