SR1911 jamming losing my mind - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-03-2019, 02:49 PM

SR1911 jamming losing my mind

Hi all. I need help, I've had my ruger 1911 for probably 7 years now and its been 100% reliable up until a few weeks ago. It started jamming on occasion and now its getting to the point where i have 5 jams in a mag. My jam is when i fire the empty case extracts and ejects normally then the slide pushes the round up into the hood of the barrel. I have replaced my recoil spring (figured probably have 4k rounds in it) with a new wolf standard weight spring. Still jams. Bought 6 Checkmate 7rd gi taper feed lip mags, since i shoot ball ammo and thats what John Browning designed it with. Still jams. I shoot my reloads 230gr cast 4.9gr bulleseye, shot many many of them before and never had issues. Jams with new ammo also. Any ideas? Im at my wits end with it
Old 03-03-2019, 03:59 PM

Pictures please, I'm having a little trouble understanding the specifics of your jam.

Sounds like a three point jam.

Google: "1911, 45ACP, three point jam" to see if that is what you are trying to describe. There will be pictures!

Smiles,
Old 03-03-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhvfd71 View Post
. . . then the slide pushes the round up into the hood of the barrel. <snip> . . . 5 jams in a mag
Which cartridges in the mag are jamming? The first, the last, or completely randomly. If it's always the last few in the mag, I'd suspect a weak magazine spring. This is assuming nothing has changed in terms of ammo (e.g. overall length) or that you've replaced the extractor.

The strange thing is that it's happening with all of your new mags. However, just because they're new doesn't mean the mag springs are good to go. They may have had a bad batch of mag springs and didn't realize it.

You might want to call Checkmate directly and ask them for new mag springs. If they balk, go to Wolff and buy 11 pound extra power mag springs https://www.gunsprings.com/COLT/1911%20GOV'T%20PISTOL/cID1/mID1/dID1#805.

If it's not weak springs casuing the problem, you could pick up some Pachmayr followers from Brownells.

Or the mag feed lips are not the correct distance apart.

Final option is to use different magazines.

These long distance, remote diagnoses are really tough. As jjfitch suggests, a couple of clear close-up pictures could be useful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2019, 07:06 PM

I'm sure you cleaned the chamber and ramp , I don't think it's the magazine after the same problem happens with different magazines . Check to see if the new spring allows the slide to go completely to the rear , can the slide lock back and release by hand . Does the extractor look good , no sharp edges , have you tested the ejector tension . When was the last time you cleaned out the internal extractor tunnel ? also firing pin tunnel . Best to cover all bases .
Old 03-03-2019, 08:58 PM

What else has been changed that you didn't mention because you deem it irrelevant? Did you adjust the tension to your extractor before this jamming started? Or replace the extractor of firing pin stop?

Weak mag springs would be at the top of the list, but a slew of new mags would seem to count that out.

Your replacement recoil spring may be so strong that the slide is actually short stroking. Thus not allowing the mag spring to fully lift the round all the way up, before the slide starts feeding it.

Do you have shock-buffs in the gun?

Last edited by subscriber; 03-03-2019 at 09:00 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:20 AM

I will have to take some pictues to show what it looks like. The jam occurs at any time 1st round second round 5th round etc. I never changed any tension to the extractor and everytime i shoot it i clean it and every 300rds or so i clean out the extractor and firing pin tunnels. I really can't think of anything else that i do or didn't do out of the ordinary. I will check the extractor for burrs when i get home from work. The gun does lock back on an empy mag 100% of the time with the old recoil spring and the new one. And my old recoil spring was about 3/4" ish shorter than the new one so i was really hoping that was the problem which it was not
Old 03-04-2019, 07:26 AM

And also no recoil buffer and how does one check extractor tension. I will make some dummy rounds when i get home and mimic the jam and take pics.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:44 AM

How about you try a box of good factory ammo like speer lawman and see if it runs reliably . At least you can trouble shoot your 1911 with out home rolled ammo coming into play .

New and old recoil springs are stock weight sounds like extractor issues but could be weak loads too so if ammo is an old recipe buy newly made reloads check those loads so maybe what you think yours loads are is not !! Knock a couple apart and weight the powder again . Assuming they pass case gauge and plunk test .

Trial and error at this point .
Old 03-04-2019, 09:55 AM

Ill give that a try, wont be able to head to the range until this weekend. So what i am gathering with it possibly being an extractor issue is that the rim of the round isn't going behind the claw and causing the jam. Is that why you guys think its an extractor issue? I will still take pics tonight.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:58 AM

Try this link. It shows the most common 1911 stopages. Maybe one of them is yours. http://hereigoagainonmyown.tumblr.co...on-yam-of-10-8
Old 03-04-2019, 10:05 AM

Easier to trouble shoot our own issues most than help others ! If your extractor still ramped and smooth on the bottom and brass or dummy rounds will work under controlled slow racking conditions , take note how it feels look for dig marks in the rim . After that go to the range and try a better class of ammo and go from there . Take the camera with you to the range , if you have a problem take a photo of the real thang .
Old 03-04-2019, 12:17 PM

I second the recommendation for a box a quality factory ammo.

How many times have your cases been reloaded? The rim can "grow" in width after many reloads. I've seen that cause feeding problems for several folks.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:12 PM

I will try some factory ammo and see what happens. I will also go over my extractor to see if its im spec. The link you sent with the common stoppages, imagine the "high angle" stoppage but instead of the nose of the bullet being in the chamber, the nose of my bullet goes up into the hood of the little loaded chamber window. My cases have been reloaded maybe 3-4 times
Old 03-04-2019, 01:41 PM

I'm not sure what shape the Ruger ejector is from the factory, the tip could be broken off and not be obvious unless you knew what the original shape was.
If it is OK, my next choice would be extractor. Read up on extractor tension tests and adjust accordingly.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:14 PM

Try cleaning your extractor and extractor tunnel.
You may know a thing and it is not true. But in understanding that thing there can be ONLY truth. And to understand, you will need contrast. NOT adherence to a single idea. The truth is in the contrast.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
I will also go over my extractor to see if its im spec.
Here's a link that may be of some interest and use as you inspect the extractor: https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=829865

However, I haven't read anything yet that would indicate an extractor problem.

Two questions
  1. Is the rim of the case anywhere near the extractor when the malfunction occurs?

2. Has the rear of the case rim been engaged by the slide (forward of the slide) or is it underneath the slide when the mafunction occurs.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:00 PM

Looking at the extractor now and looked at the link. So far i took the slide off and placed a loaded round behind the extractor and it is very loose side to side, up and down and front to back. Im wondering if somehow during ejection of the fired round it isn't getting kicked out properly causing the next round to get hung up i dunno. If i remember correctly when it jams, the head of the case was no where near the extractor and the rim of the case was pushed down and the nose was pushed up.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:08 PM

Anyhoo there doesn't seem to be a lot of meat on the hook im not sure how much material should be there. But there isn't any burrs on it. I tried to duplicate the jam and i can't replicate it. I will shoot some new factory ammo this weekend and ill slowly tweak the extractor to give some more tension if need be. Thanks for all your help so far i do appreciate it greatly.
Attached Thumbnails
20190304_180246_1551740609450.jpg  
Old 03-04-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
. . . when it jams, the head of the case was no where near the extractor and the rim of the case was pushed down and the nose was pushed up.
If the rim was nowhere near the extractor then you can rule out the extractor as the problem.

When you say the rim was pushed down do you mean the rim was below the slide? If so then this is beginning to look like a bolt-over-base condition caused by inertia feed or failure of the slide to move fully rearward after a round is fired (as suggested by subscriber, hardluk1, and BBBBill).

I don't see anything obviously wrong with the extractor in your picture.

Last edited by Steve in Allentown; 03-04-2019 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:34 PM

That is exactly what I was thinking ( Bolt over base) especially since the extractor seems to be loose from his description.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:34 PM

Comleately disassemble and clean and inspect every part then try again .
Old 03-04-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Anyhoo there doesn't seem to be a lot of meat on the hook im not sure how much material should be there...
Download this pdf file. It will give you a good starting point for evaluating your parts - http://brlcad.org/design/drafting/M1911-A1_REDUX.pdf
Old 03-04-2019, 06:26 PM

Steve's suggestion that this may be due to inertia feeding is another very good possibility:

Often, inertia feeding is simply caused by oil that got onto the mag lips. When the slide jolts the frame at the end of the slide's rearward travel, that can allow the top round out of the mag in an uncontrolled fashion; due to a lack of friction retention. Look at the image of the round and its placement with the slide all the way back, below. That is the next live round trying to enter the chamber, as the previously fired empty case is just above the slide.

Here is the source for that image, and more info about inertia feeding:
https://forums.1911forum.com/showpos...76&postcount=2

Last edited by subscriber; 03-04-2019 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:38 PM

Very very well could be an inertia feed. I did have a few instances where the last round would pop up and the slide would lock back leaving the live round sitting on top of the mag. I will make sure i go back though my new mags to make sure they don't have oil in them. I do use shooters choice gun oil on my guns. Think i should switch to grease so it wont run down in the mags? I have lubriplate i use on my m1.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
The jam occurs at any time 1st round . . .
Are you saying the pistol exhibits the exact same jam when loading the first round from slide lock?

Quote:
I did have a few instances where the last round would pop up and the slide would lock back leaving the live round sitting on top of the mag.
Inertia feeds are the worst. Stronger mag springs are indicated. Also wouldn't be a bad idea to fit a flat bottom firing pin stop and a 23lb mainspring to slow the rearward velocity of the slide. Do not put in a heavier than 16lb recoil spring.

Because this is a 5" 1911, it should be fine to put in a shok buff to soften the impact of the slide against the frame.

Quote:
I do use shooters choice gun oil on my guns. Think i should switch to grease so it wont run down in the mags?
Nope. Just be more restrained in the oil application.

Quote:
The gun does lock back on an empy mag 100% of the time . . .
This argues against your ammo being underpowered and thus causing short stroking of the slide.

However, before you start swapping out springs and other parts I would absolutely take the the advice of the other guys and put a box of factory ammo through the pistol. It's the simplest, quickest way to be sure the slide isn't short stroking.

Last edited by Steve in Allentown; 03-04-2019 at 09:39 PM.